Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1994 deville, 1983 fleetwood
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
unbelievable. so im driving down the road and notice my windows starting to fog up and smell coolant so i think coolant leak. i pull over and level is still fine, no steam from engine anywhere no dripping underneath so i say im just gonna drive it home well i get about 15 miles down the road and the fog gets worse and worse to where i can breath and the digital dash starts to fog so i pull over and check and still no drips or steam from engine bay so i turn the car off and wait a couple mins. well 10 mins go by and it wont start back up and im stuck!!! i never got any warnings or codes telling me what happened? so now its sitting in the parking lot at my local trusted mechanic. any ideas what could have caused this due to these symptoms. im waiting on a new blower motor and there isnt a motor in the car how is all this fog getting in very slight hint of coolant. the a/c compressor was making some bad noise which i was gonna order later today and replace but thats all was runng perfect till this!!!

·
Registered
1997 Seville STS, 2000 Seville STS
1,694 Posts
Heater core is done. Check the passenger side footwell under the rug to see if its wet.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well i just got back from mechanic and checked to see if was damp and it was pretty wet under the floor mat and under the dash passenger side. also in the same "adventure" the compressor pulley locked up so now my car wont start. im not sure the labor hours on replacing it and im real big in fixing my own stuff but im gonna let them take the job on this one. they are going to check it out and let me know exactly whats going on this afternoon any ideas on the mechanic hours of treplacing heater core?

·
Registered
98 STS
295 Posts
have the garage put a smaller serpentine belt on, bypass the heater core with a double hose barb and a couple of clamps and drive it home, if you have the skills needed to do the repairs yourself you will save a ton of cash in labor costs

·
Registered
1992 Sedan Deville, 1984 Lincoln Town Car
759 Posts
This may seem a little off topic but not really "thread worthy". I tried to look up some info in my FSM to check out removal of the Heater Core, but even tho' the page and chapter appears in the index, the whole section on heating, (Core, schematics, bi-level valve and A/C Control Assy), are missing.:hmm: Not torn out, just never there. Why would they leave out all that info on purpose?:hmm: I know heater core work is real yuk and poo, and I would think repair instructions would surely be an integral part of any FSM.
Maybe my manual is defective. That's not the only defect in the manual like that either.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i dont have the know how to fix the compressor so im gonna have the shop either replace the bearing or clutch havent heard form them so not sure which is needing fixed i decided to do the heater core myself as it appears to be a pretty straight forward replacement

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,084 Posts
Sounds like the pulley bearing may have seized. I'm surprised it did not give some warning. I'm about to replace one on my wife's '96 Bonneville tomorrow. I had to rent 3 special tools from AZ just to pull the clutch plate and pulley.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts