Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
'94 Seville STS N*
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
when i first purchased the car, it had a 'service ride control' light on. well, it still does.

but, for different reasons:

i bought the car for $2600. a '94 STS with 78,000 miles and the light. took it over to the dealership when i realized the car wasn't drivable as is after parking it at work and seeing the tail end looking as if it was about to disconnect from the coils. literally 4 feet up in the air.

$3500 is what they quoted me. all the electronic compressors, modules, and other thingys were dead. struts were still good though. i said thanks but no thanks and took it home. looked online and found a strutmasters conversion kit (replaced everything aside from the rear coils for $650). had it installed. car rides rougher to an extent, but oh well. what really annoys me is that the rear passenger side wheelwell is an inch higher than the driver's side (from tire to wheelwell. how odd. everything else measures out perfectly). not sure what causes this, and even with a replacement of the two rear coils w/ cadillac parts, no difference.

anyways. now i'm hearing about arnott and stuff. would they have been able to do anything that was less drastic? all of the electronic suspension parts are still on the car. aside from the struts and mounts and shocks i suppose. but it can all be returned as i'm somewhat dissatisfied with my purchase due to the ride control light being on non-stop and the weird imbalance in ride height.

any suggestions? advice?

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,973 Posts
Wheelbase is the center to center distance between the front and rear wheels. If there is an inch difference between right and left the car will go down the road like a hurt dog. The distance from the ground to the body is called ride height.

·
Registered
'94 Seville STS N*
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
also, here are the codes my car throws:

S036 ....Electronic Level Control Compressor Short to Ground/Open
S038 ....Electronic Level Control Exhaust Valve Short to Ground/Open
S060 ....Left Front Position Sensor Fault
S062 ....Left Rear Position Sensor Fault
S063 ....Right Rear Position Sensor Fault

yes. all of those. :p

·
Registered
2008 SRX
403 Posts
S036 = compressor circuit
S038 = ELC exhaust circuit
S060.62,63 = lf, lr, and rr height sensor faults.

You have no strut fault codes. Did you clear the code to see what returns? What parts were replaced exactly? Odd that it is uneven, but we must start now with what codes reset. Check the RSS and ELC fuses in the trunk first.

·
Registered
'94 Seville STS N*
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah. as i said, the struts were fine according to the dealer. just everything else (well, the really expensive stuff at least) was dead. the dude said don't put good money into a bad investment.

the whole suspension was replaced. struts, mounts, shocks, coils, everything.

and yeah, the codes have been cleared in diagnostic mode. but supposedly i need a tech1 computer to really rid myself of the codes, which would stop the light from coming on. there are some resistors that are included with the conversion kit that i got.

man i gotta call strutmasters again. i need that dang light off. :p

·
Registered
1999 Black and Tan STS
753 Posts
The Arnott stuff I used did not connect to the new shocks or struts at all. I could have used any aftermarket ones. The wires are tied up out of sight now. But there's no codes and it rides excellent again. I'm traveling 100 miles one way and decided not to use factory on a car with 160,000 miles. Now it handles the 90 to 100 mph stretches like I remember it did.

·
Registered
1999 Black and Tan STS
753 Posts
Did the kit you used connect to the factory wiring? Maybe you disconneced the height sensors by mistake?

·
Registered
2013 XTS
2,087 Posts
I uses passive on my last two Sevilles and it worked out great. I did replace the compressor on the last one and it was 300 bucks from arnott. I am not sure though where my shocks came from as I got them through my mechanic.

·
Registered
'94 Seville STS N*
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did the kit you used connect to the factory wiring? Maybe you disconneced the height sensors by mistake?
everything is connected. all codes are active, not history.

all the fuses have been pulled though.

also, i don't think your situation works too well to compare to mine.

only your struts and such were dead. my whole ride leveling system seems to be.

·
Registered
1999 White Diamond ETC
2,538 Posts
I replaced the front two struts with factory "soft ride" struts on my ETC with CVRSS. I cut the electronic valves out with a dremel, put them inside baloons (yup you read right), tie-wrapped them, then wrapped them in electrical tape and tie-wrapped them to the inside of the bumper (that got rid of the "Service Ride System" message that ensued after taking out the electronic $950 Retail price each struts).

The car rides fantastic (note I got factory Cadillac struts--the passives).

You say you pulled the fuses.. are they out?? put them back in!

·
Registered
'94 Seville STS N*
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I replaced the front two struts with factory "soft ride" struts on my ETC with CVRSS. I cut the electronic valves out with a dremel, put them inside baloons (yup you read right), tie-wrapped them, then wrapped them in electrical tape and tie-wrapped them to the inside of the bumper (that got rid of the "Service Ride System" message that ensued after taking out the electronic $950 Retail price each struts).

The car rides fantastic (note I got factory Cadillac struts--the passives).

You say you pulled the fuses.. are they out?? put them back in!
it is per strutmaster's advice.

the fuses are pulled, everything is plugged in. a resistor connects to the pumps or something i'm not even sure, and makes the car believe its still on the electronic ride system.

but supposedly i have to have these codes cleared by a tech1 computer or some crap.

·
Registered
'94 Seville STS N*
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
driver's side:

passenger's side:

sorry for the bad pictures. didn't have much room to work with. lol. but the passenger's side just looks like the body of the car is flaring its nose up or something. you can see everything in the wheelwell as you walk towards it. the driver's side is a little bit more low pro, and looks correct.

could one of the failing ride sensors have anything to do with this? like one pumped one side up before it died and now its holding air or something?

would the fact that two different tires are being used effect ride height that much? i mean, they've been rotated since i got the car and the ride height remains the same. with the new coils as well.

·
Registered
1999 White Diamond ETC
2,538 Posts
I may be wrong, but if I pull the RSS fuses out of mine, it will throw a code. Maybe you were supposed to have them out to install and then replace them once the install is finished. This will not fix your ride height problem, however.

The problem you are having with one side being heigher than the other is probably due to the ride height sensors. Make a new post with "ride height sensors--help?" or something like that on the forum and hopefully someone with some experience in that will chime in.

·
Registered
2001 ETC Sequoia
878 Posts
I suppose it's possible that three of you car's four height sensors are bad, but it kinda defies the odds. I'd look carefully to see that their mechanical link arms and their electrical connectors are firmly in place.

All four height sensors supply signals to the RSS Module located behind the rear seat upright on the passenger side. I'd suggest removing the electrical connector from the RSS module and then firmly resetting it in case there might be a poor connection there.

Both rear shock air bladders receive the same air pressure from the compressor and should sit at the same height. Since they don't, look closely at the pressure hoses. Thought: the two rear shocks are the same part number, yes?

I don't particularly care for mixing tire types, but if they're the same size it will have nothing to do with this problem.

Carefully check the electrical connector on the compressor. A bad connection would explain your first two codes.

Regards,
Warren

1 - 16 of 16 Posts