Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having a real tough time with some of the quality of my 2007 EXT. There are some issues that when researching seem like common issues that occur a lot. These are not things that I expect from such a high end vehicle/brand.
Examples:

1. I've had to replace a cracked valve spring. $1500 job to replace a $6 part that should never have failed with only 112K miles (common problem)

2. BOTH of my power fold mirrors have broken due to Cadillac deciding to us a PLASTIC gear instead of a brass one (common problem)

3. Rear door handle is coming off due to the mounting point being made of plastic. the $17 part I bought off bay is better with a metal mounting point

4. The rear air shocks! Don't get me started. The rubber boots consistently fail which cause the pump to run all the time causing it to burn out.

5. The electronic shocks are such a common issue that many shock places sell kits to get rid of them.

6. The cracked dash! I see stories of the cracked dash issue all over the internet.

7. The heated windshield washer fluid. The answer to the recall was to remove the fuse so you can't use it instead of fixing it.

8. The radio constantly turns on with a blank screen

9. The rear camera stopped working because the way the wires are run, the closing of the bed door chafed the wire and cut it. I had to re-solder it myself.

10. Chrome coming off interior door handles

And yesterday my "Service AirBag" light went on.

There may me more that aren't popping into my head or that I'm blocking out.

Did I buy a lemon? Or do others of you have these issues. How is a car that starts at 70K+ have these simple quality issues with no resolutions?

·
Registered
993 Posts
When did you buy your truck and at how many miles? You may have bought someone else's problem. If your suspension is giving you problems, just switch every shock to a passive system, and disconnect the auto-ride. Also, there was a recall for the interior door handles. My dealership replaced all 4 even though the driver handle was only chipping, for free.

As for the service airbag, it should be a sensor or wire that is gone bad. Easy fix, but you're going to have to get it diagnosed or do some research.

https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=service+airbag+escalade+ext

Edit: this might be helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIx51twf5b8

·
Registered
2006 Escalade ESV
180 Posts
My service air bag was cutting on/off on my 2006 at 130K miles. Took it to the dealership and was due to moisture that had accumulated inside the connector. Had to have that connector replaced with them soldering in a new part. $450! Since it was the airbags, I paid the piper.

·
Registered
2010 Premium w/ ALL options + 2004 Pontiac GTO LS6 "Beast"
1,196 Posts
I've been having a real tough time with some of the quality of my 2007 EXT. There are some issues that when researching seem like common issues that occur a lot. These are not things that I expect from such a high end vehicle/brand.
Examples:

1. I've had to replace a cracked valve spring. $1500 job to replace a $6 part that should never have failed with only 112K miles (common problem)
Unless you had piston to valve contact requiring the replacement of a piston, that job should have only cost you $100-200. All it takes is pumping air in the cylinder via spark plug hole, and replacing the spring

2. BOTH of my power fold mirrors have broken due to Cadillac deciding to us a PLASTIC gear instead of a brass one (common problem)
Your truck is an 07, things break when they get old. I had a failure on my 2010.

3. Rear door handle is coming off due to the mounting point being made of plastic. the $17 part I bought off bay is better with a metal mounting point
I have not heard of this before. Both my 07 Yukon, and my 10 Esky had the power lift doors. You do not have to yank on the door to open it, just a light touch of the button. Sounds like someone has/had kid(s) who would yank on it or something.

4. The rear air shocks! Don't get me started. The rubber boots consistently fail which cause the pump to run all the time causing it to burn out.
This cannot be blamed on GM. Research all the other cars out there that use air shocks and you will see they all fail. Think the GM replacements are expensive, go look at Mercedes. Even more pricey. You expect to replace your tires when they wear out and fail, the same holds true for the shocks. Rubber will dry rot and deteriorate over time. Keep in mind the air ride shocks give a much nicer ride - something Cadillac is known for.

5. The electronic shocks are such a common issue that many shock places sell kits to get rid of them.
Only for the people too cheap to replace them with the right parts. Has nothing to due with them being a common issue. Most people replace them at around 80k. It's a wear and tear part, and 80k is alot for something that goes up and down every second you are driving. If you don't like or cannot afford the GM shocks, then you should have bought a Tahoe.

6. The cracked dash! I see stories of the cracked dash issue all over the internet.
Yeah this sucks, but at least the part isn't expensive. It's about $200 and does come with a GM parts warranty. Takes 30 minutes to change.

7. The heated windshield washer fluid. The answer to the recall was to remove the fuse so you can't use it instead of fixing it.
GM decided to remove themselves from a potential lawsuit by removing the system altogether. It was IIRC an $80 option, and they gave everyone a check for $100. IMO they did the right thing. The people that liked the option went and paid $70 for an Alphatherm unit that worked better, and bought dinner with the remaining $30.

That is a legitimate problem and should not be happening. I suggest a replacement.

9. The rear camera stopped working because the way the wires are run, the closing of the bed door chafed the wire and cut it. I had to re-solder it myself.
You found it and fixed it. Easy to do. At least it wasn't a ford, have you heard about the 2016 superduty?

GM will give you brand spankin new handles!

And yesterday my "Service AirBag" light went on.

There may me more that aren't popping into my head or that I'm blocking out.

Did I buy a lemon? Or do others of you have these issues. How is a car that starts at 70K+ have these simple quality issues with no resolutions?
You bought a used car. A 2007. You cannot have a "lemon" unless it is new, or GM Certified. Buyer beware applies here. I would however suggest you go and look at many of the other automotive forums out there and see that you really have it easy. Look at the real high end BMW's (6's and 7's), and the Mercedes, both of which are easily more than the $70k Esky and you will see that you got the better deal comparatively. A lot of what you complain about is either wear and tear / improper maintenance, or just a minor inconvenience.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Examples:

Unless you had piston to valve contact requiring the replacement of a piston, that job should have only cost you $100-200. All it takes is pumping air in the cylinder via spark plug hole, and replacing the spring

To confirm that there was no damage to the piston and to remove all the chunks of shattered spring I had to remove the cylinder, which means removing the manifold, and than while it's out rebuild the cylinder head because it could have been damaged from the spring. New gastkets, head bolt kit, etc. adds up.

Your truck is an 07, things break when they get old. I had a failure on my 2010.

Are you saying the decision to use a plastic gear and not a metal one is not an issue and I should just suck it up?

I have not heard of this before. Both my 07 Yukon, and my 10 Esky had the power lift doors. You do not have to yank on the door to open it, just a light touch of the button. Sounds like someone has/had kid(s) who would yank on it or something.

I bought the car with 40K and it was mint. I have no kids. The mounting piece is plastic. This is a common problem, and all over the internet.

This cannot be blamed on GM. Research all the other cars out there that use air shocks and you will see they all fail. Think the GM replacements are expensive, go look at Mercedes. Even more pricey. You expect to replace your tires when they wear out and fail, the same holds true for the shocks. Rubber will dry rot and deteriorate over time. Keep in mind the air ride shocks give a much nicer ride - something Cadillac is known for.

I'll give you the wear and tear on the shocks though I believe the rubber should hold up better

Only for the people too cheap to replace them with the right parts. Has nothing to due with them being a common issue. Most people replace them at around 80k. It's a wear and tear part, and 80k is alot for something that goes up and down every second you are driving. If you don't like or cannot afford the GM shocks, then you should have bought a Tahoe.

I'll give you the wear and tear on the shocks

Yeah this sucks, but at least the part isn't expensive. It's about $200 and does come with a GM parts warranty. Takes 30 minutes to change.

Why should I have to pay $200 for a dash that cracked around 50K miles?

GM decided to remove themselves from a potential lawsuit by removing the system altogether. It was IIRC an $80 option, and they gave everyone a check for $100. IMO they did the right thing. The people that liked the option went and paid $70 for an Alphatherm unit that worked better, and bought dinner with the remaining $30.

I was unaware of the AlphaTherm and I will investigate it.

That is a legitimate problem and should not be happening. I suggest a replacement.

Who is going to replace it? Are you suggesting I replace it for $1200? Because I know the dealer won't.

You found it and fixed it. Easy to do. At least it wasn't a ford, have you heard about the 2016 superduty?

I'm lucky I had the skills to do it. I don't know what they would have charged me at the dealer. Probably for a full camera replacement.

GM will give you brand spankin new handles!

I was unaware of this and I will persue it.

·
Registered
2010 Escalade
310 Posts

Why should I have to pay $200 for a dash that cracked around 50K miles?

because you are out of warranty. If you want it fixed you do it yourself for about $150 shipped off ebay and DIY or pay the dealership about 4-500.

·
Super Moderator
2010 Platinum Escalade, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham
6,454 Posts
After having researched this vehicle before purchasing, why would you go ahead and purchase a car with these potential problems??

·
Registered
2010 Premium w/ ALL options + 2004 Pontiac GTO LS6 "Beast"
1,196 Posts
1.) The mechanic should have used a borescope through the spark plug hole to see if any damage was present. I'm very familiar with the LS engines, and they are quite easy and inexpensive to work on. The problem is the dealers see dollar signs coming through the door and try and rake people over the coals. Can't blame GM as the dealers are independently owned and operated, and EVERY brand has shady service departments. I have never seen an LS spring turn into multiple pieces; when they fail, they just shear into 2 halves. If multiple pieces were suspected, then a full engine rebuild should have been performed as metal debris should have gone all through the engine. $1500 could have bought some nice ported heads, performance valve springs, ARP bolts, etc - for both sides of the engine. This really sucks that you had it happen, and even more so that you got taken for a ride, but honestly a valve spring can break on any brand vehicle.

2.) GM could have just as easily not even offered power folding mirrors on these trucks. Would this minor feature have prevented you from buying the truck had it not even been offered? Things break. Part of the cost of ownership and maintenance is to replace the worn out and broken things. Would you be upset at the company that built your house, that you paid a lot more for, if your hot water heater died? Yeah it sucks you have to take a cold shower and shell out money for a new one, but things wear out.

3.) I think I misunderstood you earlier and thought you meant the rear hatch. Rereading it, I think you mean passenger door. To this I will say I have had over the years quite a few door handles break, even full metal ones on the older 90's style trucks. Honda, Eagle, Chevy, Mitsubishi, Ford, Holden, BMW are all brands I have owned and had door handles break on. I have also owned a S10 Blazer, GMC Envoy, and Yukon in addition to my Esky that *I* have not had any issues with. I know others have with these trucks, but you have to realize it's not just a Cadillac thing. Also keep in mind that this $70k truck uses the same handles as the ones on the base model $45k Tahoe.

4.) If you want the rubber to hold up better then you should raise up the rear of the truck to fully extend the rear shocks, then wash them every time you wash your truck. The design (for ANY airbag shock) is the rubber bladder is folded up on itself. This lets dirt and debris into the fold and over time will dry rot the rubber, and could eventually cause chaffing to the point of having pin hole leaks. Your tires get washed when the truck does, so they last longer, plus the rubber is thicker. I don't expect anyone to wash their shocks like that, so it's falls under regular maintenance of replacing them when worn. GM has gotten WAY better in the air suspension dept. Just try owning an Envoy or Trailblazer with air suspension. Lucky to get 20k out of those. From what I have gathered most rear shocks fail before the airbag around them does. Again 80k for shocks is pretty good.

6.) Because you don't want to get pissed off every time you drive and look at it. If it makes you feel better drive behind a ford explorer and look at their cracked panel under the rear wiper. At least our cracks are not visible to everyone, and are much simpler to fix ;) FWIW- there are people out there that are trying to get GM to make it right, a class action law-suit or something. I'm not happy about mine being cracked either.

8.) No way would I suggest spending $1200 on that. You can get a used replacement 07 radio AND have it programmed for under $300. This issues is anyones guess. It could be wear and tear in that it was just it's time to give up the ghost. I'm sure you have had some other electronic device fail in your life - a tv, a phone, printer, computer, etc. It just happens. Or you bought it used and the previous owner spilled coffee in it. We just won't know, but it's not a common problem like the cracked dash, so I wouldn't fault GM/Cadillac on this one.

9.) No I'm sure they would have charged you to tell you they can't fix it because most dealers have incompetent mechanics working for them. They don't want to pay for the specially trained ones and out of 15 mechanics, they might have 3-4 GM certified mechanics. The rest are usually younger 'kids' that don't have the work ethic that our grandfathers had. Anyone can be trained to replace brake pads, but it takes a certain skill to troubleshoot todays modern vehicles, much of which comes from experience.

Bottom line - Replace your shocks and struts for $1k, new radio for $300, Alphatherm for $70, new dash panel for $200, and depending on your color - replace both mirrors @ $250/ea and you are looking at just over $2000 for a 'refreshed' truck that should give you plenty more miles and smiles. That's really not that bad for an 8 year old truck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts