Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1994 seville sls
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1994 Seville 132K. I put Chevron fuel injector cleaner into a little less than a 1/2 tank and run the tank very low before refilling. A few days later major stalling problem where I had to "power brake" at stop lights to keep from stalling (9 mile commute to work it actually stalled around 4 times). When I made it to the parking lot (car ideling rough) I revved the engine pretty hard thinking I had something blocking an injector or EGR because of the fuel injector cleaner. A huge plum of smoke ensued it appeared from all around the car. Starting ideling fine and running well. However its now running approx 15-20 degrees hotter than ever before on my 9 mile daily commute to work.
Not quite ready to invest the time or money for a block test. So did my actions possiblely damage the head gasket.
Thanks for all you guys do for caddi owners.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,270 Posts
A Lisle block test kit is ~$20 on Amazon. It takes about 10 minutes to perform the test.
---------------------------
you can "rent" the test kit for free from autozone and other chain stores -
just pay for the blue juice - around $10 -

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,452 Posts
So did my actions possiblely damage the head gasket.
No. TECHRON is a high quality fuel system cleaner endorsed by GM. The ingredients put it in the snake oil category, but it won't "blow a head gasket". Northstar head gaskets don't actually "blow" anyway - read the stickies on the problem in Northstar.

Poor idle, ragged running, sudden smoke, clearing up - sounds like a partially clogged cat. The warmer (what actual temperatures ???) engine coolant may or may not be due to a slew of problems - bottom line: Is it steadily losing or blowing out coolant ?

·
Registered
1994 seville sls
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This incident actually occurred last Thursday. I will recheck the coolant level again tomorrow morning. The usual temperature displayed for my 9 mile commute is 196 to 198. Now is 10-15 degrees higher after revving the engine pretty hard but not red lining.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,270 Posts
This incident actually occurred last Thursday. I will recheck the coolant level again tomorrow morning. The usual temperature displayed for my 9 mile commute is 196 to 198. Now is 10-15 degrees higher after revving the engine pretty hard but not red lining.
========================
after revving the engine pretty hard but not red lining.
that will not hurt the engine -
or cause head gasket failures -

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,452 Posts
========================
after revving the engine pretty hard but not red lining.
that will not hurt the engine -
or cause head gasket failures -
If redline operation would hurt the Northstar, mine would have been dead any time since 11/21/05 - the afternoon that I bought the car - and nearly every drive since. (BUT - there were one hell of a lot of changes made to the Northstar from '94 to '02)

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,783 Posts
A few days later major stalling problem where I had to "power brake" at stop lights to keep from stalling (9 mile commute to work it actually stalled around 4 times).
Have you cleaned the TB?

However its now running approx 15-20 degrees hotter than ever before on my 9 mile daily commute to work.
Have you checked the coolant level and the purge line?

·
Registered
1994 seville sls
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
TB was cleaned at 117k Coolant level good and a visual inspection of cooling system related items appear in good working order.
One other item with this vehicle is I've always had 15.7-8 mpg on the dash read out. Now its 14.5. That why I added the fuel injector cleaner.
All necessary tune up items were done at 117k.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts