Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1993 Cadillac Sedan Deville
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 93 Sedan Deville 4.9 V8 with only 62k miles on it for $2500 last week. I'm not very savvy when it comes to automobile mechanics and I was so excited to be getting such a great deal when I bought the car that I make an idiotic mistake and forgot to check the oil. I put in over $2500 in aftermarket accessories the 1st day and on the 2nd day I started it in my garage and heard some loud clunking underneath the hood. At that point I checked the oil and realized it didn't even register on the dipstick. I knew that's a quick way to destroy an engine, but I figured since I wasn't driving when I caught it that I could just add some oil and it would be fine.

The clicking only happened when I hit a certain RPM so I didn't think it was a huge issue. Today I took it in to 2 different shops and got opinions from 2 mechanics...they both said it was the transmission because the tires jolted when the engine popped/clicked. When I got the car home last night I started to notice more problems other than the engine popping. 1st I noticed that after driving it for 10 min or so I could hear the coolant boiling really hard in the radiator; second I noticed oil dripping from the exhaust along with white smoke and lots of moisture; finally I think there's oil in the extra coolant reservoir. So I was hoping I could get some advice on what to do.

I figure that I only paid $2500 for the car (in absolutely pristine condition inside and out) and since I already added the $2500 in aftermarket stuff I really want to keep it. Would it be wiser for me to replace the head gasket or just drop a whole new engine in it? Also, does anybody know how much money I can expect to spend on fixing this?--I'm willing to pay a couple grand if I can keep the car for a long time after the repair.

·
Registered
'85 Fleetwood FWD
728 Posts
You may be able to have a shop do a leak-down compression test, which may show which head gasket (if that's what the problem is) is leaking. There may be bubbles in the coolant when a leak-down compression tester puts pressure on the head with the bad gasket.

·
Registered
'87 SDV
1,296 Posts
Agree with steelybill, get a leakdown test. Also, understand that HG failure on a 4.9 is quite rare. Intake gaskets are not as uncommon, and might produce similar symptoms. If it is a head gasket repair that's needed, there is the additional concern that the previous owner overheated the engine and possibly warped the block. That means replacing the engine with a junkyard part or a crate.
And don't discount the clicking transmission jerk. Run a trouble code check to see if anything shows up on that.
Said it before: there ain't no cheap luxury.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts