Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has any info on an intermittent problem I have had with my 09 CTS-V. After driving a while either in sport mode or regular mode, I have backed into my driveway, put the car in PARK and then when I turn the car off the DIC tells me to "Shift to Park" when the car is already in Park.

I am still able to hit the brake and turn the car on, but then when I turn off the car, it still displays this message.

I tried just starting the car back up putting it in drive and then going around the block, but it still displays the message when I turn off the engine.

I usually try to then back the car up a bit and then drive it a bit forward in my driveway, but it still leaves that message up in my DIC.

By this point, my 6 year old wonders what the heck I am doing and starts complaining. I usually just turn the car off with the DIC still showing the message and then go into the house.

I usually come back a couple of hours later, and the message is still on. I have even left it overnight and usually the message is gone in the morning.

The dealer took a look a couple of weeks ago, and said they adjusted the shifter linkage, but a week later the message came back and today its back at the dealer getting looked at again.

I can't reproduce the problem with any regularity, but when it happens, I usually just wait until the next day and the message is gone, and the car acts normally.

My fear is that:

1) the battery just drains the whole time that the DIC message is up and one day when I get the message and leave it overnight, I won't be able to start the car.

2) There is a more serious issue, that is just being masked by the DIC warning message, and I will find myself on the side of the road.

I can't find anything on that message up on the board, and my dealer doesn't know what it could be either. Today is the 2nd time they are looking at it, and they say that they probably will replace something, but what they are replacing, I have no idea.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ever

·
Registered
273 Posts
Have them replace the switch or sensor that tells the computer that the car is in park. It is working intermittently. I have seen switches that check OK with a voltmeter yet break down under load. A loose wire in this circuit can also cause this. Good luck.
Mike

·
Registered
304 Posts
I've only had that happen to me once. Restarting, turning it off, restarting and driving around ... nothing helped. Finally, I tried making the DIC message accurate: I turned it off while the shifter was NOT in park. Then, when I corrected the problem and shifted to park and shut off, all was well (no more DIC message). Must've been about 3 months ago and hasn't recurred.

·
Registered
662 Posts
TSB #07-07-30-032C: Shifter Binds, Ignition Key Sticks, Shift to Park Message Displayed On Driver Information Center (DIC), Dead Battery (Adjust Shift Linkage) - (Jan 8, 2010)

Condition
Some customers may comment on one or more of the following conditions:

• The shifter binds when putting the vehicle into gear or park.

• The ignition key sticks or is hard to remove from the ignition lock cylinder.

• The "Shift to Park" message is constantly displayed on the Driver Information Center (DIC) when the shifter is in the "Park" position.

• A dead battery that follows after parking the vehicle for an extended period of time (less than 24 hours). This vehicle may have been left in accessory mode with the "Shift to Park" message displayed.

• The shifter binds when moving the lever from Drive to Manual mode.

Cause
This condition may be caused by the shift linkage adjustment, a slow Brake Transmission Shift Interlock (BTSI) mechanism or a Park Confirmation micro-switch that is not closed.

Correction:
Requires the dealer to adjust the automatic shift control linkage per the instructions, if that still doesn't do it, it says that the transmission shift control may need to be replaced.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
I had this happen once in 10,000 miles. Aside from McReiland's post, another solution is to:

1.) Make a service appt.
2.) Drive into the service dept.
3.) Corrects itself

LOL This happened to me and has never returned in about 6,000 miles. It was like a gremlin or something. Mine happened one day and has never occurred since.

Thanks for the TSB McReiland. I will refer the service dept to that TSB (they are good and probably know it already) if the issue returns. :)

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I finally had this happen for the first time (9/9/2010). I put the car in Park, shut it down, and the message appeared in the DIC. I left the car with the message still displayed, and went in the store. When I came back out the display was off (no message) and it has not happened again. A computer glitch? Maybe. Bad switch? Maybe. If it doesn't reoccur soon, I am going to assume that it was a computer glitch.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Happened to me once about 1 week ago. I just ignored it and went inside, and it was gone the next morning.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Ask them to replace the Transmission Shift Control.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts