Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
brougham
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have just brought a brougham 1989, i live in the uk, the car has an obd1 connector i have no problems with codes at the moment but i would like to know what scan tool is available to buy for this port. i have looked at obd1 connector with a usb connector on 1 end and then buying software, would this work can anyone help with info please.

·
Registered
1989 Cadllac Brougham
213 Posts
You must get a 12pin OBD1 ALDL conector made to read data from the "D" pin. Usually they are made to read data from the "E" pin. I personaly recomend Red Devil River 12 pin aldl "D" pin conector with software. You must clearly state that you want a "D" pin aldl conector when you buy it, just send them a message.

If you decide to get a scanner and software, feel free to pm me if you encounter any problems, it is not quite easy to set up the software (TunerProTR) to work with the 89 Brougham,

http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?nav=item.view&id=121525227654&alt=web

·
Registered
87 Brougham, 1969 Calais, 95 FWB, 07 SRX, 07 ESV
4,246 Posts
For the most part you can get your codes by jumping two of the pins and turning your key to "run" and then counting the flashes. There's a how-to in the tech FAQ sticky in this forum. I think it should work on an 89.

·
Registered
1989 Cadllac Brougham
213 Posts
Exactly, like Outsider says, if you check engine light would come on, just ground the OBD1 conector A port with the B port, and the Check Engine Light will flash the stored codes for you. I got my advanced scan tool becuase i have a problem that won't go away (TPS) Even though i have changed TPS, Carb, ECM. If you encounter such a problem, it is handy with a scan tool.

OBD ONE TUTORIAL.jpg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts