Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1993 Seville SLS
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my '93 Seville really really REALLY wants me to have that airbag system serviced.
So much so, in fact, that it's locked me out of reading any engine data 10 seconds
after I turn the ignition on. I can quickly scroll through the coolant temp, volts, oil life,
and fuel used, etc. but the "Service S.I.R." message comes back and stays there
until I shut it off again.

I've determined that the root cause of this is a bad ground somewhere, but I
haven't had the time or the patience to trace it down. Mechanic said not to be too
worried about the airbags not working should (god forbid) I need them, but cautioned
me about pulling fuses, controllers, wires, and whatnot. I'd rather not if I can avoid it...

Is there any way to bypass this (and other stuff) through the diagnostics mode? I've
played around it a little bit and know you can change settings and values and whatnot,
but I have no idea what I'm doing. I just changed the oil, and would like to reset the
oil life thing, but it won't even let me do that.

Thoughts? Ideas?

-M-

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,254 Posts
Well, my '93 Seville really really REALLY wants me to have that airbag system serviced.
So much so, in fact, that it's locked me out of reading any engine data 10 seconds
after I turn the ignition on. I can quickly scroll through the coolant temp, volts, oil life,
and fuel used, etc. but the "Service S.I.R." message comes back and stays there
until I shut it off again.

I've determined that the root cause of this is a bad ground somewhere, but I
haven't had the time or the patience to trace it down. Mechanic said not to be too
worried about the airbags not working should (god forbid) I need them, but cautioned
me about pulling fuses, controllers, wires, and whatnot. I'd rather not if I can avoid it...

Is there any way to bypass this (and other stuff) through the diagnostics mode? I've
played around it a little bit and know you can change settings and values and whatnot,
but I have no idea what I'm doing. I just changed the oil, and would like to reset the
oil life thing, but it won't even let me do that.

Thoughts? Ideas?

-M-
===============================
I suggest getting the FSM - Factory Service Manual -
I found the 2-volume set for $30 - with free shipping -
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-Cadillac-Eldorado-Seville-Shop-Service-Manual-Set-Original-GM-OEM-/221707558949?hash=item339ecce025&vxp=mtr

Is there any way to bypass this (and other stuff)
through the diagnostics mode?

I doubt there is a way to bypass the SIR system -

as for "other stuff" - the best answer would be "maybe" -
but usually any changes made through "diagnostics mode"
would be temporary - and limited to one ignition cycle -

I've played around it a little bit
and know you can change settings and values and whatnot,
but I have no idea what I'm doing.

the FSM lists ALL the parameters - and ALL the values -

I've determined that the root cause of this is a bad ground somewhere,
the FSM will help you trace electrical circuits -
and ground locations -