Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2000 DHS
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 DHS with about 180,000 on body; about 80,000 on transmission, and about 60,000 on rebuilt engine. Recently started the engine in the morning and when I released the key the car immediately just died. I fooled around trying to start it and it finally started and idled.

Toady I travelled about 60 miles on two lane and interstate and noticed the temperature "slightly" elevated. Turned off A/C with no effect. Speed level didn't seem to matter either. Stopped the car; went into a store for about ten minutes; came out and it started just dying at start up.

I used the brake and accelerator to keep RPM up until I shifted into gear and it continued to run.

Have also noticed that instead of returning to idle - about 750 RPM, sometimes it idles at about 1500 RPM.

I contacted Stutzman in Winchester VA and they didn't have any suggestions.

Anybody have any ideas where to begin? I don't generally take it in for scheduled maintenance - so maybe something dirty in throttle area?

·
Registered
2000 DHS
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I need to add something to this post - I read up on WOT once a week. However, with the high miles on this transmission, do I run a risk of damaging the tranny when I wind the engine up? I do notice a "thunk" when I downshift from Overdrive to third or second when at or about 55mph. Could I be looking at another broken engine mount?

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,544 Posts
I would clean the TB. Also pull the DTC's. Might be a bad IAC valve, but chances are it's just carboned up.

Front motor mount would be highly suspect. They don't seem to last long. See my post in the Northstar section.

·
Registered
2000 DHS
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Ranger. Any comment on the slight rise in temperature? It has been running normal since. Also, guess w.o.t. won't affect a carboned up TB - right? DUH - Whats's DTC?

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,544 Posts
Hard to say about the temp. Keep an eye on it.

No, WOT will help clean out a carboned cylinder, but won't do a thing for the TB.

DTC = Diagnostic Trouble Codes

1 - 5 of 5 Posts