Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2001 eldorado,2008 DTS,2005 XLR, '96 eldo,'95 eldo,' 89 eldo,'78 eldo,'11CTS-V
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn't find anything in the archives on the goodness or badness of this coolant, so why is this Dexcool getting such a bad rap?
Is there ANY real relationship between Dexcool and Northstar headgasket failures?

·
Registered
'12 White Diamond CTS-V Sedan, '10 Cyber Gray ZR1
265 Posts
I may have missed it, but what color is Dexcool and would it have been original factory fill in a '92 Deville? I'm a newbie, so bear with me! Just got the car last night.

If the water pump was replaced by the Caddy dealer within the past year, I would imagine they replaced the coolant, right? Also, what would happen if the coolant wasn't changed regularly? Would the engine just melt after the coolant and oil mixed?!?!? Would the engine have to overheat first before coolant entered the engine oil?

·
Registered
2001 eldorado,2008 DTS,2005 XLR, '96 eldo,'95 eldo,' 89 eldo,'78 eldo,'11CTS-V
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dexcool is orange in color. '92 should have the green stuff.
Coolant mixing with the oil is usually due to a blown headgasket. The coolant gets into the oil, not the other way around. Milkshake looking liquid on the dipstick is the tip-off.

·
Registered
1992 Cadillac Sedan Deville
175 Posts
I had my 92 SDV's coolant changed at the Cadillac dealer, they flushed it twice and filled it with green coolant. They told me that they used a special coolant with the required sealent already in it. Hearing about all of this really freaks me out.:helpless:

·
Registered
265 Posts
I guess I'll find out soon enough what type of coolant is in my new (to me) '92Caddy. Though, since it's been flushed so recently by a Caddy dealer, I just figure ignorance is bliss and I'll just not worry about it besides checking the level to make sure it's topped off.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,783 Posts
quikag said:
I guess I'll find out soon enough what type of coolant is in my new (to me) '92Caddy. Though, since it's been flushed so recently by a Caddy dealer, I just figure ignorance is bliss and I'll just not worry about it besides checking the level to make sure it's topped off.
I am sure they used the green coolant. Just be sure to change it every 2 years and use the sealant tabs (cooling system suppliment). If the coolant is not changed regularly, the coolant looses its anti-corrsion capability and the head gaskets start to deteriorate from the inside.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Ranger,

You are great, thank you for the great tech! This forum really is great. It's only my second day here and I already feel like it'll be a good home for me as I learn about my new '92 Caddy!

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
The switch to DexCool was made in either '95 or '96.
When the first changed it there was a white plastic ring around the filler neck with blue print on it, it says something like "this vehicle requires a special coolant".
Also the print on the underhood label changed from green to orange to match the coolant color. Some could easily argue the color of Dex Cool, but after emptying a few thousand bottles I can tell you it's supposed to be an orange color. Depending on how you mix it with water it can be lighter and come out almost pink.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Is coolant mileage based on time based or a combination of both? I found a receipt for the last coolant change in the '92 Deville I just got. It was 4 years, but only 11,000 miles ago. Unfortunately, it was at Pepboys and they used some Prestone antifreeze and some other generic stuff.

Should I go ahead and drain it again?

·
Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
1,164 Posts
quikag said:
Is coolant mileage based on time based or a combination of both? I found a receipt for the last coolant change in the '92 Deville I just got. It was 4 years, but only 11,000 miles ago. Unfortunately, it was at Pepboys and they used some Prestone antifreeze and some other generic stuff.

Should I go ahead and drain it again?
Your '92 doesn't use Dexcool anyway, so green Prestone is fine. It just needs to be mixed 50/50 with distilled water. I think the 92 also requires the cooling system supplement, which is either the Bar's Leaks giant tablets, Bar's Leaks Golden Seal powder, or the GM supplement tablets. I don't know how much of it is needed or how to install it properly. The 4.9 may have block drains, which will enable you to replace more of the coolant than a simple radiator drain and refill. Green coolant needs to be changed every 2 years or 30-36k miles, whichever comes first, so you are probably overdue. Read the bottle for complete details, though. Here is some good coolant information I found:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60843

·
Registered
265 Posts
Mike,

I appreciate the information. I'll go ahead and change the coolant, though it's probably still fine. Kind of strange that coolant can 'wear out' over time though. I guess it loses some of it's chemical properties as time passes?

·
Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
1,164 Posts
quikag said:
Mike,

I appreciate the information. I'll go ahead and change the coolant, though it's probably still fine. Kind of strange that coolant can 'wear out' over time though. I guess it loses some of it's chemical properties as time passes?
The silicates in the coolant are sacrificial. Once they've done their job protecting the system, they are chemically changed and "used up." If only 11k miles have elapsed in 4 years time, it *might* be OK. Given the severity of problems that can happen if it's not OK, though, I don't think I'd put it off much longer unless you like the idea of having unprotective, gel-like or sand-like substances running through your engine. Read through the link I posted. Lots of good information in there.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Thanks again, Mike. I found out today that my dad had the water pump replaced at the Caddy dealer a little over a year ago and they obviously had to do a coolant job on it too, so it should be good for another year or so, but I will definitely keep the coolant in good shape.

I just read the link, there is a lot of info. there. I'm going to have to read it a few times to disseminate all the information. Thanks again and Merry Christmas.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Richardson is right next door to where I live. Texas weather is VERY chaotic. It was actually 70 degrees today (12/23), in a few days it could easily have a high of 35. I would recommend checking weather.com a few days before you get here to see the forecast. It bounces all over the place during the fall and winter especially.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts