Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2001 DHS
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed today my "SERVICE STABILITY SYS" messaged appeared along with the ABS/TC lights and a ABS C1232 History code. Could it perhaps be from the heavy snow we've had lately? I did a thorough undercarriage/wheels wash however still appears after clearing codes. Any advice?

PS: I changed the driver side CV Axel/bearings about 2 months ago and the passenger side CV Axel/bearings about 3 weeks ago, would that be the culprit?

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
No it's not from the weather.

What's the code definition? Steering position sensor?

·
Registered
2001 DHS
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry forgot to put the definition, here it is:

C1232 - Left Front Wheel Speed Circuit Open or Shorted

Also, could it be a loose or bad wire harness? If so does anyone know where it's located?

·
Registered
26,323 Posts
Most likely just a failing/failed wheel speed sensor. You can inspect the connector/harness, but WSS failure is fairly common.

The WSS is integrated into the hub assembly. Use AC Delco or Timken replacements ONLY.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,275 Posts
Sorry forgot to put the definition, here it is:

C1232 - Left Front Wheel Speed Circuit Open or Shorted

Also, could it be a loose or bad wire harness? If so does anyone know where it's located?
==========================
could it be a loose or bad wire harness?
it COULD be -
but most likely - it's a bad hub -

·
Registered
2001 DHS
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Most likely just a failing/failed wheel speed sensor. You can inspect the connector/harness, but WSS failure is fairly common.

The WSS is integrated into the hub assembly. Use AC Delco or Timken replacements ONLY.
Do you happen to know the part number for AC DELCO?

·
19,275 Posts

·
Registered
2001 DHS
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Bass, do you recommend I do both driver and passenger side? Are these universal for both sides or left and right each have a different part number?

----------

The sensor is on the hub? if not, how could I know if the sensor needs to be replaced or the hub?

·
19,275 Posts
Thanks Bass, do you recommend I do both driver and passenger side? Are these universal for both sides or left and right each have a different part number?

----------

The sensor is on the hub? if not, how could I know if the sensor needs to be replaced or the hub?
================================

do you recommend I do both driver and passenger side?
not unless both are bad -

there is no "overlapping" labor -
you save nothing by doing both at the same time -

Are these universal for both sides or left and right
YES -
both front hubs are the same - and both rears are the same -

The sensor is on the hub?
YES - it's all one sealed assembly -

·
Registered
2001 DHS
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Please excuse my lack of knowledge.... Is the hub also referred to as bearings or they are two separate parts? Cuz I recall having the driver side bearing changed about 7 months ago and has a 1 year parts/labor warranty on it

·
Registered
26,323 Posts
The hub is what you see when the brake rotor is removed, the small round disk with the wheel studs sticking out of it. Most passenger cars use a hub/bearing assembly, where the hub and bearing are one sealed, unserviceable bolt in unit. For the most part, heavier vehicles are the only application where you'll see the older style system, where you remove the hub nut and hub to service or replace the bearing separately.

In many vehicles with hub/bearing assemblies, the wheel speed sensor is an integrated, unserviceable part. That's the case with these cars.

The reason for the Timken/AC Delco recommendation is that other brands usually just don't last very long at all. A warranty is fine and all, but worthless if you have to keep changing the part.

·
Registered
2001 DHS
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
CONCLUSION: Took the hub bearing out and noticed the wire was in contact with an object and had gradually worn off. Replaced the bearing and all is good now. Thank you all for your feedback

·
19,275 Posts
CONCLUSION: Took the hub bearing out and noticed the wire was in contact with an object and had gradually worn off. Replaced the bearing and all is good now. Thank you all for your feedback
===============================:highfive:

·
Registered
2001 DHS
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
UPDATE: Tonight I was in an open parking lot testing the stability system in snow (as I randomly do) and noticed the stability system kicks in 1-2 seconds later than it did before I change the hub. Could it be because of the aftermarket Hub and the signal it sends/detects?

·
Registered
26,323 Posts
1-2 seconds later than what? There is no set time at which the system steps in. There are many variables.

And FWIW, if the WSS in the new hub assembly wasn't working as well as/ differently than the original did when new, it would set a code.

·
Registered
2001 DHS
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Before immediately as I would go into a slippery turn my Stability message would appear and right away it would engage. Now the same maneuver takes about a second or so longer for it to kick it, making the car go into a good overstear before it engages

·
Registered
2001 DHS
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
In the past when I would purposely try to make the car lose rear control in snow the Stability system would immediate kick it, however now with the same maneuver it takes about a second or so later for the stability system to engage and the car would actually go into an oversteer before the stability system actually engages. The only thing I can think of that's changed is the recent from hub bearing (NAPA brand)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts