Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 95 Deville with Pass Key System. Lately, more like every 7th startup the starting system is disabled. The computer indicates there may be a problem with the key and the chip in the starter key. I used both keys and get same result. The manual says to see dealer. Anybody have any experience with this? How does one disable the security system? Suggestions? thanks! Mike D

·
Registered
2000 SLS
292 Posts
MD0001 said:
Have a 95 Deville with Pass Key System. Lately, more like every 7th startup the starting system is disabled. The computer indicates there may be a problem with the key and the chip in the starter key. I used both keys and get same result. The manual says to see dealer. Anybody have any experience with this? How does one disable the security system? Suggestions? thanks! Mike D
I had had a similar problem with a 89 Eldo - cause was wiring at lock in steering column. What I did was disconnect connector in lower part of column and install a resistor that matched resistance in key.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My 97 Deville had the same failure. I had to flatbed my car to the dealer. They charged me for a whole new key reporgraming.

I'll return your calls.

[email protected]

voicemail 800 894 6352

MD0001 said:

·
Registered
2001 DHS, 1996 DeVille, 1993 Deville, 1989 Seville
46 Posts
This happened to me twice on my 89 Seville, the wires broke at the lock in the steering column. The first time the dealer fixed it for $500.00, the 2nd time I called a lock-smith because I was stranded, and he fixed it for $90, plus I watched, and now I will be able to fix it next time myself.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just a follow up on the reply from timber6860...

What did the locksmith do exactly?

Did he just do the resistor by-pass or did he actually replace the igniton or did he repair the wires which I was told couldn't be done because they were encased in the ignition cylinder?

anyways,
thanks in advance

i also replied to the "starting disabled post" this morning...many more questions there if you can help.

flyrite

Edit: Problem solved with $430 check written to the cadillac dealership. It's somehow comforting to know that i can purchase peace of mind from a cadillac dealership. I just wish it wasn't so expensive. Replaced the ignition cylinder. They said it had wires broken for the theft system and that there was another part broken, he didn't even know what it was. Yeah that's comforting.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts