Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Deville DTS
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first time on the forum.
I recently inherited a 2005 Deville DTS with roughly 45,000 miles from my deceased uncle. The car just got out of the shop for a new speed sensor and position sensor. On a trip last weekend to the airport I noticed what seemed like smoke coming from the back of the car. It was very slight though, and there were no lights or any noticeable change in performance. I dismissed it as road salt and continued to the airport. When I returned yesterday to and picked up the car I noticed smoke and a burning smell, this time much stronger and the engine was redlining while getting up to speed. I limped to a repair shop where it was discovered that the transmission has a 4 inch crack and in spewing out fluid. The owner says the car needs a new transmission which brings me here. I did hit a pothole big enough to be blocked off by the police the night before I left for the trip. I am wondering if the transmission is irreparable and what I should do. I'm not sure if its worth trying insurance.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
85 Coupe Deville 4.1 V8 & 4.3 V6 Deisel & 1970 Eldorado
773 Posts
If it was indeed the pot hole that caused the damage, You may want to have more than just the transmission checked before you put in an insurance claim. There may be other damage to the suspension and or subframe / motor mounts. I would think it would take quite a shock to crack the transmission case. Transmission may have contacted the ground or the shock may have travelled through one of the half shafts. I would hate for you to put in a claim for a transmission only to fine out you have other additional damage. You may need to fight with the insurance company if found later.

·
Registered
2005 Deville DTS
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks
The only other thing I can think of is that when the wheel speed sensor was being replaced our mechanic somehow tried banging it in too hard and made a small crack that was aggravated by the pothole.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts