Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if anyone has ever tried a burnout in their 2000+ deville. The tires are due for a replacement, so I figure why not smoke the old ones. I have no problem squeling the tires, but when I tried to do a burnout the traction control kicks in. If you turn it off, then you don't have 1st gear. I'm sure it can do it in 2nd (I didn't try power braking it) but I know I wouldn't have to use the brake if I had 1st gear and no traction control. Is there a way to bypass the traction control? I remeber someone posting something about pulling an abs fuse, but I'm not positive.

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
well, I know on the mid 90's STS/ETC you could pull the ABS fuse *with the engine running* and then that is real traction control disable... but I am not sure about your car, I would try it.

Plus, with FWD, just hold the parking brake, it is rather easy :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Plus, with FWD, just hold the parking brake, it is rather easy
I though about that. Have you ever done it that way? You would still have to be in 2nd because of traction control, but then again 2nd would have the wheels spinning faster so it would be lots of smoke.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Cool as it may be I cringe at the potential of damage and ostly repairs........try a slightly wet surface. (when the rain has stopped and the ground is starting to dry) :)

·
Registered
1998 Cadillac Deville Sedan
897 Posts
So why not disable the traction control and put her in 1st gear? Also the parking break thing didn't work(I tried it and my P-break barely stops my car, lettting it holding in place in a burnout).

Maybe I didn't stomp on the pedal ard enough...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So why not disable the traction control and put her in 1st gear?
Right but the problem is that once you disable traction control, 1st gear is also disabled. You start out in 2nd. I was wondering if anyone knows a way to get around this in a 2000 dhs.

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
*normally* your parking brake should hold the car back all the time.

out of my 3 cars, the cable on the '79 broke, the Olds is very loose, and the only one that works is the '93, I use it every time I park, but I tired to see if it would hold the car back, and it dosn't... really, it should lock the rear tires, and if anything, the front will drag the back end.

otherwise you will be causing alot of stress by using the brakes, since the front brakes take most the stopping force as it is.

I would definitly start out in 1st... let it shift into 2nd if it needs to.... hell, I did a burnoout running thru all 3 gears in the '79 :) well, not a power brake, but nailed the gas around the turn and weeeeeee a 100 foot strip of black :) ofcourse without Posi it wasn't *that* fun :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
This is the fun you can have with traction disabled..

All you weeeeeenieees who are afraid to give your cadillac a good excercising really SHOULD put her thru the paces.. it's VERY healthy for the car.. seriously.. there's COUNTLESS threads on here about how good it is for your northstar motor to be regularly excercised..

http://home.twcny.rr.com/mycarpics/draggin%20caddy.jpg

This is one of the only pics I got of my car last year and it was at LEAST 90 degrees.. hence the bad ET time on the window. This car will run 14.94's in the morning.. on up to the 15.26's when it gets hot out. With the traction disabled via the computer, you have access to all the gears.. I pull up tot he burnout box and get some water ont he tires.. while still rolling slowly thru there, I punch it real quick for a split second.. then I'll push down ont he e-brake and let it FLY!!!.. she'll hit second if you hold it.. the spectators were LOVING it that day at the track..

**** BURNOUT WARNING *****

You all need to be told this for your car's sake.. and your wallet's.. as you can see in my picture, only one wheel is spinning.. this means that whatever RPM your tire is spinning, the differential is spinning TWICE as fast.. ask the Pontiac Grand Prix GTP crowd how many exploded differentials they've seen cause of "one wheel" burnouts.. You have to know what your tires are doing while hitting the throttle.. I've, fortunately, not had to deal with this yet.. but I came pretty close once.. running it up to 6500 RPM and into second gear almost as high.. all while only one wheel spinning..

The other fun thing I loved doing is the classic top fuel style burnouts.. I'd pull up to the water box, keep on rolling thru it slowly.. get the tires good n wet and just punch it... 95% of the time, both tires light right up and I just let it run out about 20 ft and lift off the gas so I don't blow past the staging lights.. that's the only downfall to not having a dragster.. you can't blast on by the staging lights..

·
Registered
1991 Deville / 1989 BMW 635csi
896 Posts
When doing burnouts on cadillacs, that kills your tranny. I've done 2 NICE ones on my 87 deville, 2nd time my friend tried recording it on my digital camera, but battery died during filiming:mad: . Never doing them again, fries your tranny. My driver side CV boot ripped, it now clicks when u turn. It'l easily do burnouts once msd ignition will be installed. So far, msd 8.5 mm super conductor wires, new bosch platinum 4 plugs, msd cap, msd rotor, msd module, and msd blaster coil have been installed. Nutin bad about 4100, its a typical V8. Just proper maintenance is required. I used my street as a drag strip when there was NOT A SINGLE CAR!!! 9.8 seconds, 0-100 km/h!!! This was before all of the crap was installed (exept plugs). I wouldn't do to many burnouts.

·
Registered
132 Posts
as long as you go fairly easy on the throttle and make sure both tires are spinning..... if both tires are spinning, you can floor it as long as you want.. the only time damage to the transmission can occur is if you stay WOT and only one tire is spinning.. you must have had some SERIOUSLY weak transmissions or VERY old and worn out ones.. these Northstar drivetrains are seriously built for abuse. You can do part throttle burnouts with ease and not damage anything but the poor tires!!!.. hahahaha..

Seriously.. my car has 106,000 miles on it and about 200 burnouts on it.. the fluid still looks like new and the car runs like a top.. the older caddy's were never built to be a "performance" machine.. nothing like today's cars are anyways..

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
very cool picture!!
:thumbsup:

swimmster said:
All you weeeeeenieees who are afraid to give your cadillac a good excercising really SHOULD put her thru the paces.. it's VERY healthy for the car.. seriously.. there's COUNTLESS threads on here about how good it is for your northstar motor to be regularly excercised..
I dunno dude, there's alot of post in here about the benefits of an occasional WOT run, but I doubt they mean burnouts!? I sure as hell don't think its good for your car......sure it may do it without a problem but its definately not gonna add to your longevity. No matter how you slice it, if all others things were exactly the same, the car that never did burnouts will be in better shape than one thats done 200. IMHO.

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
And rememnber, the speedo reads 50% of the spinning wheel speed - vehicle speed. So if you are spinning at 50 mph, you are doing 100 mph on that spinning wheel - vehicle actual speed (the other side tires real speed that isn't spinning)

So be careful on what you do, the diff can explode, or the wheels can overspeed and explode, and they often do this later (for those of you not on your way to the tire shop).

·
Registered
'91 Sedan DeVille Silhouette Special
439 Posts
Want a big, smokey burnout? Put tire detailer, armor all, anything slick that stays that way on the tread, lots of it.

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
Try bleach!!!!
I've done some really good burnouts, in both my deVille and my Roadmaster. They are fun, but I don't like to do them when thinking of the potential damage and costly repairs.
I remember once in my Roadmaster, I was getting onto a busy street, and I had to get into a very small opening. So I nailed the gas, and turned right, and I swear I got rubber into 2nd gear. I remember looking into my rear view mirror and seeing a trail of white smoke from the right tire only. Then I looked back at my speedometer and I was doing 43 mph, which means I was in 2nd gear also. :D This is wierd because this car had positraction, so it should have burned up both tires.:hmm:

And right after I got my deVille, about January 05, I was leaving school getting onto another busy main road. This time I was turning left. So when I had an opening in traffic I nailed it. This was awesome, I hit sand, and then pavement, So it made a lot of smoke, which came up over my front fenders :D I was very proud!

I love low end torque!!!!

·
Registered
2003 Escalade
540 Posts
If your beating on the car, you had might as well put it in reverse and go about twenty or so. Traction control off and jam it in drive. While all of this is going on reach up with the left foot and hold the e-brake. A little bleach will give a great smoke effect too. I don't do it but I would do it in your caddy.

·
Registered
"94 sdn deville R.I.P." 91 sedan deville 1978 eldorado
74 Posts
I remember once in my Roadmaster, I was getting onto a busy street, and I had to get into a very small opening. So I nailed the gas, and turned right, and I swear I got rubber into 2nd gear. I remember looking into my rear view mirror and seeing a trail of white smoke from the right tire only.
what happend is ure goin aroun the right turn putting most off the weight onto the left front n probly just brought the back right off the ground some (less weight in the rear = easier slippage)for it to burn out like it did just a guess :p

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Hmmm could be

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Guyz1996deville said:
If your beating on the car, you had might as well put it in reverse and go about twenty or so. Traction control off and jam it in drive. While all of this is going on reach up with the left foot and hold the e-brake. A little bleach will give a great smoke effect too. I don't do it but I would do it in your caddy.

yeeeaaaahhhhhhhhh..........:hmm:

I was saying that I've done burnouts, but I think it's foolish and wreckless to do this activity a lot.

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Oh yeah, sorry If I sounded like I was full of my self in my 12/05 post. That was not the desired effect. I was telling a story and I got carried away :/

1 - 20 of 22 Posts