Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello,
I just did pads and rotors on my 00 deville about two months ago. Upon stopping slowly or crawling with the brakes slightly depressed i hear a loud rubbing noise. is this normal? ... sounds like its coming from the front. it doesn't pulsate, it just rubs consistently until the car stops or i press harder.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,998 Posts
No it is not normal. Didn't do it before you did the brakes, did it? An inspection will probably reveal the problem.

·
Registered
Cadillac Deville 1990
266 Posts
Yes take the tires off and visually inspect the brake pads and calipers. Also have someone press the brakes while you do this.

·
Registered
03 DTS
225 Posts
some of the new brakes are just plain loud when moving slow, if you don't find anything wrong you may have to try another brand. Avoid lifetime as they are the loudest. Mid grade seem to be the best. I don't know about much about the ones with ceramic but my stock 03 DTS ones make noise backing slowly with brakes on slightly and nothing is wrong.

·
Registered
03 DTS
225 Posts
One more thing, if the rotors had small groves and you used the lifetime pade they will sound bad for a while until they wear to match the rotors, takes a long time. the mid grade wear to match faster, turning the rotors is always best but I never do it unless they are warped.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i took all the wheels off, inspected everything then put them back on, and the noise seems to be gone. i still have a high pitched screeching noise- maybe because i didnt use stop squeal.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,998 Posts
Squeal is a vibration between the pad and the rotor. It depends on the pad compound. You may find that the only solution is different pads.

·
Registered
'04 Base Deville, Light Platinum - blew HG & SOLD
164 Posts
79lac:
I discovered a similar problem on my honda after a recent brake job.

It's just a noticeable rubbing sound before coming to a complete stop. My mechanic checked it out again and says the brakes appear to be working perfectly, just something about the pads? He says he will replace them under warranty.

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac Deville
91 Posts
hello,
I just did pads and rotors on my 00 deville about two months ago. Upon stopping slowly or crawling with the brakes slightly depressed i hear a loud rubbing noise. is this normal? ... sounds like its coming from the front. it doesn't pulsate, it just rubs consistently until the car stops or i press harder.
Check the metal splash plate behind the rotor the see if it is rubbing the rotor. That was my problem. Or check the brake shims to make sure that they are fitting properly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts