Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been scouring the web for cadillacs and ive come to realize that alot of the listings dont specify whether its a base, dhs, or dts. I know I dont really want the base and i dont need the dts, so im looking at buying a dhs. I have come to know the different wheels to tell the difference but what are the other differences between them that you can tell by visually looking at the car? (for example does the base have a painted, instead of chrome plated, grill?)

The Base (the "seven-spoke (thicker spoke)" rims)

The DHS (from the skinny multispoke rims)

The DTS (the "blade" rims)

(please let me know if i made any mistakes or need any corrections)
:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :highfive:

·
Registered
01 Eldo ETC, 02 Deville SOLD!
1,815 Posts
I THINK (emphasis on THINK) that there's an easy way to tell them apart, sans any after- or grey-market alterations:

1) Base Deville has the HOOD mounted Caddy wreath.
2) DHS has GRILL MOUNTED wreath, and grill is CHROME (-ed plastic)
3) DTS has GRILL MOUNTED wreath, and color-coordinated grill.

Also, obviously, if you get a shot of the right rear end of the Deville, you'll see or not see the DHS or DTS logo emblem.

Interior wise, the base and DHS have column shift, the DTS is a console shift.

·
Registered
'98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)
4,854 Posts
For 2000 to 2005:

From the outside at a glance, the 'basic' (rental company car) has a (obnoxious) hood ornament.

The DHS has no hood ornament and no fog lamps.

A DTS has fog lamps.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the responses.. is there anyone that can confirm what JimHare said about the emblems

I THINK (emphasis on THINK) that there's an easy way to tell them apart, sans any after- or grey-market alterations:

3) DTS has GRILL MOUNTED wreath, and color-coordinated grill."
I also did notice that the tail lamps are only on the DTS.. is that an option that you can choose between any/all the models?

I realize this is probably stupid but i really dont care for the DHS's wheels.. I do like the DTS and base, what are the negatives when going with the base over the DHS model?

thanks for the responses.. is there anyone that can confirm what JimHare said about the emblems

I also did notice that the tail lamps are only on the DTS.. is that an option that you can choose between any/all the models?

I realize this is probably stupid but i really dont care for the DHS's wheels.. I do like the DTS and base, what are the negatives when going with the base over the DHS model?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I agree with Jim about the front grill. Base always has a hood ornament. DHS has grill mounted wreath and grill is chrome. DTS has grill mounted wreath and grill is color-coordinated.

I disagree with you statement about the tail-lights. The tail-lights are the same on all three models (base, DHS, and DTS). The rims displayed above for the base and DHS are newer versions for these models. The rims were different for 2000, 2001, and 2002 model years.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for confirming it. I might buy a dhs with regular wheels (which ill use as winter tires) and then ill have another set of wheels for summer. does anyone know if 17s (235/55R17 99H) fit a 03/04 deville (either base, dhs, or dts) without rubbing? also does anyone happen to remember what the largest size they have seen on a deville (without suspension changes)?

·
Registered
02 DTS NightVision "Sled"; Waiting For The Coup
2,172 Posts
235/55R 17 will fit no problem... in fact thats the factory size tires for the DTS.

255/45 17 about the largest you can put on the 17x7.5 factory rim.

As for rim sizes, i believe 22's go on no problem.... after that you are probably gonna be running into problems, and ride like crap.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wow, 22s? thats very suprising to me.. and your talking no suspension mods, coils,etc? I have seen the 20inch vogues.. that might be something id seriously consider. do you know of anyone that has 20s on a deville (specifically 01-04 bodystyle unless the wheel wells didnt change).. id really like to see what theirs look like and to here anything they would/wouldnt do.

·
Banned
2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant
15,987 Posts
you guys forgot to mention one major thing night vision those devilles have a hole in the grill where the wreath should be and a flat caddy emblem on the hood

·
Registered
2013 SRX PERFORMANCE, ICE WHITE
536 Posts
DoctorWEJ said:
I agree with Jim about the front grill. Base always has a hood ornament. DHS has grill mounted wreath and grill is chrome. DTS has grill mounted wreath and grill is color-coordinated.

I disagree with you statement about the tail-lights. The tail-lights are the same on all three models (base, DHS, and DTS). The rims displayed above for the base and DHS are newer versions for these models. The rims were different for 2000, 2001, and 2002 model years.
Not all DHS have chrome grill. The one on my wife's 2005DHS is dark charcoal in color.

·
Registered
02 DTS NightVision "Sled"; Waiting For The Coup
2,172 Posts
wow, 22s? thats very suprising to me.. and your talking no suspension mods, coils,etc? I have seen the 20inch vogues.. that might be something id seriously consider. do you know of anyone that has 20s on a deville (specifically 01-04 bodystyle unless the wheel wells didnt change).. id really like to see what theirs look like and to here anything they would/wouldnt do.
There are plenty of people around here with 20's... I would go to the gallery section for pics.

And yes, as far as I know 22's will go on without mods... IMO 22's are too big for the car as the DeVille's aren't very tall... say like a 300c.

17,18,20 is your best bet. Bigger than that starts to look goofy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got 20’s on my 01 Cadillac deviLle base model rides nice no rubbing but over time struts an springs wear out then you will have a problem but that all easy fixes I think 20’s are perfect 22 might look better but less of that caddy ride

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,658 Posts
I got 20’s on my 01 Cadillac deviLle base model rides nice no rubbing but over time struts an springs wear out then you will have a problem but that all easy fixes I think 20’s are perfect 22 might look better but less of that caddy ride
=======================
when responding to a post - you should take note of when it was active -
this particular post died 14 YEARS ago -

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
5,035 Posts
Welcome to the forums! As posted, best to check the dates. Besides being a 14 year old thread, the user you're replying to hasn't logged on in 8 years.

·
Registered
2005 DeVille, 2017 XT5 luxury
70 Posts
There are plenty of people around here with 20's... I would go to the gallery section for pics.

And yes, as far as I know 22's will go on without mods... IMO 22's are too big for the car as the DeVille's aren't very tall... say like a 300c.

17,18,20 is your best bet. Bigger than that starts to look goofy.
Ive been scouring the web for cadillacs and ive come to realize that alot of the listings dont specify whether its a base, dhs, or dts. I know I dont really want the base and i dont need the dts, so im looking at buying a dhs. I have come to know the different wheels to tell the difference but what are the other differences between them that you can tell by visually looking at the car? (for example does the base have a painted, instead of chrome plated, grill?)

The Base (the "seven-spoke (thicker spoke)" rims)

The DHS (from the skinny multispoke rims)

The DTS (the "blade" rims)

(please let me know if i made any mistakes or need any corrections)
:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :highfive
I have a 2005 DeVille. Like the gunsite hood ornament, but wanted the woodgrain steering wheel and DHS grille. Now have a new woodgrain wheel and the DHS grille, its looking good. The car is great and the only trouble is that there is a slight engine oil leak. And it will cost more than I paid for this car to fix the oil leak. Dealer told me to just keep an eye on the oil level. Have had the car 5 years now and its a blast to drive. Griff

1 - 16 of 16 Posts