Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac DeVille Sedan 1991
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to put wheel spacers on my 1991 DeVille to get the (original 15" aluminium) wheels more in line with the body.
Has anybody experiences with wheel spacers? What thickness is max. possible (front and rear) without risking that the tires hit the inside of the fenders and/or the car can't be steered properly? 2"/2.5"?
Thanks

·
Registered
1992 DeVille
2,339 Posts
love-my-caddy said:
I want to put wheel spacers on my 1991 DeVille to get the (original 15" aluminium) wheels more in line with the body. Has anybody experiences with wheel spacers? What thickness is max. possible (front and rear) without risking that the tires hit the inside of the fenders and/or the car can't be steered properly? 2"/2.5"? Thanks
Not sure but some will say that increasing the distance from stock will increase load and wear on bearings and suspension parts.

Post pics if it works out, I'd love to see the result. Post pics of current set up too if you want =P

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
Inches? No. The max would be measured in millimeters, not inches. Besides rubbing, you would be adding a ton of stress to the wheel bearings.

With simple spacers, you're pretty much guaranteed vibration issues. Bolt on spacers aren't immune to that problem either.

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
A 2 inch spacer is huge and a horrible idea. You could go with different offset rims but have to be really careful or car won't handle correctly as you'll be altering suspension geometry.

·
Registered
1992 Fleetwood S&S Hearse, 1993 Buick Roadmaster
567 Posts
^^^^ What he said!!! ^^^^

If you're gonna alter things, get rims made for the job. And buy smart! People around here do it the wrong way, or put on wheels that weigh 40 lbs. each more than their original wheels, and then they're shocked when they lose a wheel at 70 mph. Rollin' on DUBS looks tight when done right - when done wrong, you get a really big towing bill!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses, guys... seems that everybody thinks, it's not the best idea (at least not with 2")... maybe I'll try 1 inch as a kind of compromise. Rims could be an alternative but I wanted to make the originals like new and keep them on the car, just a little bit more in line with the body

·
Registered
1992 Cadillac Sedan DeVille, 2005 Escalade Ext
175 Posts
i have spacers on the back wheels on 17'' vogues, plus it gives your car better traction and it decreases the lean on hard turns. had it on my first deville for 2 years before wreak and have it on the one i have now.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did it... rear 1.5", front 1.25"
sand blastet the original rims and painted them
looks great
drove about 500mls so far. No problems at all. Drives great, no vibrations.
You just need to do it right and buy the right (quality!) wheel spacers! I purchased mine from http://prowheeladapters.com/

before-after.jpg

·
Registered
1985 Sedan DeVille
1,883 Posts
why only 1.25" on the front?

I have been thinking about wider tire to fill the gap better, this is an interesting alternative

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,270 Posts
I did it... rear 1.5", front 1.25"
sand blastet the original rims and painted them
looks great
drove about 500mls so far. No problems at all. Drives great, no vibrations.
You just need to do it right and buy the right (quality!) wheel spacers! I purchased mine from http://prowheeladapters.com/

View attachment 305506
======================================
if it makes you happy -
that's all that matters -

·
Registered
86 Bronco, 74 Ford LTD,1999 Deville, 1977 Coupe Deville
305 Posts
It does look nice. But if it was me, I'd switch to a Ford 9" rear end with proper length axles. How about a side shot or two? Sweet looking ride!

Thanks, Brad

·
19,270 Posts
It does look nice. But if it was me, I'd switch to a Ford 9" rear end with proper length axles. How about a side shot or two? Sweet looking ride!

Thanks, Brad
========================
But if it was me, I'd switch to a Ford 9" rear end with proper length axles
REALLY? - on a fwd Cadillac - HOW? :food-snacking:

·
Registered
86 Bronco, 74 Ford LTD,1999 Deville, 1977 Coupe Deville
305 Posts
Pain meds................That's my story & I'm sticking to it!:canttalk::canttalk::canttalk:

·
19,270 Posts
Pain meds................That's my story & I'm sticking to it!:canttalk::canttalk::canttalk:
===============================
Pain meds..
ya - OK - I'll buy that - :bonkers::histeric::histeric::wacky:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts