Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Deville (Base Non-Amp, Non-Bose Sound)
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Deville 1998 that's been saying "Theft System Problem, Car May Not Restart." It's code IPC B2711. The error popped up 2 months ago. But other than displaying the message, the car works normally. It has always turned on.

Today I decided to tackle the issue out of fear the car may eventually fail to start and I'll be stranded somewhere. I read about the orange security wire under the steering wheel column and how you could splice it with a resistor that matches your key's resistance to bypass the VAT system. Well I did that by soldering wires to the spare key and then attaching them to the two white wires within the orange wire. However, the error message still occurs. I have checked everything multiple times and it's all connected properly. The key is hooked up to the correct side of the splice and the resistance matches my normal key.

My car does have an aftermarket radio I installed several years ago. The old radio was put into the trunk and then wired to the security system since the radio has components within it that control the security. I did a visual check on the radio and the connections and everything looks to be working, I connected everything very well when I did it all those years ago and packed the radio and everything so it would be protected and wouldn't move. Also, years before that, I know the car's key ignition cylinder thing was replaced and I had to get new keys, possibly for the same issue -- maybe they did something way back then to bypass the security?

I'm wondering 1) could something else be causing the error message and 2) does it even matter? Today at one point I had the orange wire (with the two white wires inside) cut and connected to nothing and the car still started. It's like it doesn't even matter, but I'm not sure if neglecting the issue will lead to trouble down the line.

Thank you!

·
Registered
1998 Deville (Base Non-Amp, Non-Bose Sound)
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The car has been sitting for 24 hours since I installed the key, and it seems to be working now. Weird.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a Deville 1998 that's been saying "Theft System Problem, Car May Not Restart." It's code IPC B2711. The error popped up 2 months ago. But other than displaying the message, the car works normally. It has always turned on.

Today I decided to tackle the issue out of fear the car may eventually fail to start and I'll be stranded somewhere. I read about the orange security wire under the steering wheel column and how you could splice it with a resistor that matches your key's resistance to bypass the VAT system. Well I did that by soldering wires to the spare key and then attaching them to the two white wires within the orange wire. However, the error message still occurs. I have checked everything multiple times and it's all connected properly. The key is hooked up to the correct side of the splice and the resistance matches my normal key.

My car does have an aftermarket radio I installed several years ago. The old radio was put into the trunk and then wired to the security system since the radio has components within it that control the security. I did a visual check on the radio and the connections and everything looks to be working, I connected everything very well when I did it all those years ago and packed the radio and everything so it would be protected and wouldn't move. Also, years before that, I know the car's key ignition cylinder thing was replaced and I had to get new keys, possibly for the same issue -- maybe they did something way back then to bypass the security?

I'm wondering 1) could something else be causing the error message and 2) does it even matter? Today at one point I had the orange wire (with the two white wires inside) cut and connected to nothing and the car still started. It's like it doesn't even matter, but I'm not sure if neglecting the issue will lead to trouble down the line.

Thank you!
The problem is not in the steering column or with the resistor key. The problem is elsewhere in the system. What is going on is the BCM has detected a problem with the VATS system and disabled it. That's normal! The problem is either the BCM itself or in the VATS wiring. Since you have a trouble code start your troubleshooting with that. The "B" prefix is telling us it's a BCM trouble code. Your shop manual will tell you what the B2711 code is. Or you can Google the code itself for an explanation of the code. Hope that helps!

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
67,921 Posts
Post #3 will tell you what the code is and it refers to a key resistor pellet discrepancy. B codes are all Body codes, not exclusively BCM (Body Control Module) codes.

P = Powertrain
B = Body
C = Chassis
U = power and data
C = Current - the fault exists now
H = History - the fault has not been detected for the last 3 start/run/drive cycles

Here's another code decipher app - OBDII diagnostics. Trouble codes description for GM

1 - 5 of 5 Posts