Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Camaro ZL1; 2011 CTS-V sedan; 2004 Lightning
12,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I'm mid-install with the Kappas. I'm not a car audio guy by any means. I note two things:

1. Both sets of Kappas have two sets of input leads, woofer & tweeter, while both sets of old Bose speakers only had one set of input leads. This 'leads' me to believe that I'll be powering only the low/mid drivers, not the tweeters. But...
  2. The GM wiring harness that was called out fits the tweeter input terminals on the Kappas, not the woofer input terminals. There wasn't any mention of this in the installation instructions. So...
Did you guys buy some bigger spade connectors and slide them onto the woofer terminals, or did you just cut & solder?

Also: what would happen if I cross-connected the single feed over to the tweeter inputs, too? Bad things? I seem to recall someone saying that the Bose amp was feeding the full range of frequencies to all speakers...

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Lawfive,

On the rear door speakers you will have to cut the factory wires and connect them to the Kappa crossover network that came with them. Then plug the crossover leads to the corosponding inputs on the speaker. The tweeter really adds to the rear feel in the back. Save the plug that went to the factory speaker if you ever want to go back.

The front door speakers you can do one of two ways. On Derek's car I just connected the factory terminals to the woofer section of the 6 1/2 and didn't use the tweeter at all. This way all of the staging stays up top like it should. If you connect the tweeter it will bring all your staging down to the doors. The factory terminals will plug into the woofer terminals. It looks to small but it will fit. If you want to use the tweeter you will have to cut the terminals off or use an insulated male spade for the crossver to connct to it. Cutting the ends off is no big deal as you can always reinstall if you decide to go back factory. I tried the speakers both ways and I prefererred the speakers to be hooked up without the tweeter as I liked the staging better. If you need more info PM me and I'll give you my phone number and walk you through it. Installing these is very easy.

The Bose speakers are crossed over out of the factory amp about 100 to 120 hrtz.

If you hook the tweeter up by cross connecting to the woofer it will be crossed over to low and will blow. You have to use the crossover network that came with the Kappas to use the tweeter. You could bypass the woofer section if you wanted but you have to use the crossover for the tweeter.

Shane

·
Registered
2017 Camaro ZL1; 2011 CTS-V sedan; 2004 Lightning
12,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Crossovers? In the box? With instructions? Whataconcept! LOL

OK, after that one, no sweat. I happened to have two packs of wiring harnesses, for a total of four harnesses, so I didn't have to clip the factory ones. I just pulled them out of the front speakers and replaced them with the four leads from each crossover. I went ahead and hooked up the tweeters in front, tried them all three ways: no tweet, +0DB tweet, and +3DB tweet. I stayed with +3DB in front and in back. I didn't have any problem with the 'staging' difference you referred to, although I know what you're alluding to.

I stuck my reference disk in ("Aja") and went to my reference track ("Aja"). Wow. I thought my hearing was dying off, but those highs are back. Better low-end response also, although it doesn't make as dramatic a difference as the highs. Nice and loud all around.

If you're going to do this, make sure you've got enough heat shrink (or electrical tape) before you start. I didn't. Also, pay attention when they tell you to be careful with the front door: it got away from me and I have a little paint scratch now up by the pillar arm of the door.

And be sure and poke around in your new box of speakers until you find the little silver box with all the wires coming out of it... (Thanks Shane!).

Yeah, shut up. :duck: There's a first time for everything.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts