Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2009 CTS DI AWD Black Raven/Ebony Interior
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I apologize if there is a thread already like this. If one exists, please direct me to it. I'm days away from taking delivery of my 09 CTS awd with PDQ package. I'm wondering if there are key questions I should ask and things I should look for when inspecting the car and before I drive away. I realize I can always come back or call, but I'd like to have things as close to right as possible before I depart.

·
Registered
2008 Black Cherry CTS4 - FE2, J55
205 Posts
when I bought up my car I did a walk around to look for any nicks or anything like that. Actually the bottom part of the front bumper had been scratched so I had them replace it. I did the same inside, to make sure there was nothing out of place. Then the night I picked up my car I checked to make sure they fixed the front bumper (they did) and I did another walk around then the salesman sat in the car with me and explained all of the features such as OnStar, Radio with the iPod and HDD and turn by turn nav, sunroof, bluetooth, he also explained the traction control and how and why I would want to turn it off. It was about 1/2 an hour or so. I didn't need some of the information and some of it I found useful.

Oh, and good luck with the car :thumbsup:

-Mark

·
Registered
2014 SRX Premium w/20" chrome
481 Posts
Hi, I apologize if there is a thread already like this. If one exists, please direct me to it. I'm days away from taking delivery of my 09 CTS awd with PDQ package. I'm wondering if there are key questions I should ask and things I should look for when inspecting the car and before I drive away. I realize I can always come back or call, but I'd like to have things as close to right as possible before I depart.
Allow yourself plenty of time, don't be in a hurry. It's important you thoroughly inspect the car...top to bottom, front to back. You want to make sure any defects, (I hope there are none) are noted before taking delivery.

Your salesperson should take his time going over all the functions of the car. All to many time's they want to rush the delivery and just get the paper work finished.

Congratulations and best of luck with your new CTS. Make sure you take some pic's, we'd like to see your new ride.

·
Registered
'93 Cadillac 60 Special; '03 Lincoln TownCar Limited ED
5,929 Posts
All that was said, above - plus make sure you have a twenty dollar bill in your pocket to tip the salesman, just prior to leaving.
Also, check for a spare tire and its related equipment, and your paperwork, including owner's manuals. You will be handed an invoice, on which is typed a date. It would be a good idea (if there is a date/time stamp for employees) that you have your salesman date/stamp your invoice.

·
Registered
2008 Cadillac CTS DI AWD Thunder Gray Chromaflair/Ebony
798 Posts
Read the owners manual twice! Once prior to delivery and once after. So much information....

·
Registered
2009 CTS DI AWD Premium
585 Posts
I second all of this, and add that you should make sure the paint does not have any issues. I say this because I inspected the car but only after I washed it myself did I notice there was tree sap on the paint. The dealer took the car to their body and they removed the sap and in the process put some spider scratches all across the paint. Now it has to go back again to get those out. So, you might miss something no matter how hard you try, but do your best to record anything and everything that might be an issue.

·
Registered
2008 Cadillac CTS DI AWD Thunder Gray Chromaflair/Ebony
798 Posts
I second all of this, and add that you should make sure the paint does not have any issues. I say this because I inspected the car but only after I washed it myself did I notice there was tree sap on the paint. The dealer took the car to their body and they removed the sap and in the process put some spider scratches all across the paint. Now it has to go back again to get those out. So, you might miss something no matter how hard you try, but do your best to record anything and everything that might be an issue.
Cosmetic blemishes are going to be the one area the dealer will be less likely to resolve after the sale.

A thorough visual check is never a bad idea. It may even provide a pychological benefit. Think about it, if you did a thorough visual inspection prior to delivery, how bad can any small defect you notice after the fact really be...it helps keep things in perspective.

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
A tip? Really? I've never tipped a car salesman. Is that the norm?
Rarely happens. Sad to say, but that might be the only income some of these people have right now.

A friend of mine who used to own a Chevy dealership told me that he saw that happen only once in his lifetime. Any sales person would be doing handstands if he/she received a tip.

I regularly tip mechanics and service writers, but not sales people--only because I usually buy my cars used. (I never use the term 'PRE OWNED,' because I know that the next shortage in the US will be the letters of the alphabet. I am on a major push to save some of them.)

If I was buying a new car, I guess I could be convinced to tip a sales person, particularly one who seemed to go out of his/her way to keep me happy, informed, etc.

·
Registered
2009 CTS DI AWD Black Raven/Ebony Interior
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great tips! :thumbsup: Are there any system updates (navigation, etc) that I should ask about to ensure they've been incorporated?

·
Registered
2019 CTS
2,898 Posts
A tip, really. Ok, don't bet on the horses.
But really, I never pick up a car when it is raining or at night. It's too easy to miss something under those conditions.
On the other hand trading at night in the rain at the end of the month presents an opportunity for the highest trade-in allowance. So buy at night and takje delivery during the day.

·
Registered
2008 CTS 3.6L DI RWD, GMPP new engine 11/2013
2,092 Posts
Tip a Cadillac salesman ... it's a joke, right?

Despite GM's longterm downward spiral and the industry's current troubles, my stodgy old local Cadillac dealership maintains a loyal affluent customer base, relatively high-volume sales, and profitability. The average age of the salesmen (dressed in business suit and tie, on Saturdays too) is about 50, and I'd guess their average tenure with the dealership is about 15 years. They work hard and stay busy. They live in nice houses and send their kids to college, just like the rest of us (my salesman's daughter is a collegiate championship golfer).

If I had attempted to tip my salesman with a twenty dollar bill, I'm quite sure that it would have been 1.) an insult, 2.) rejected, and 3.) the joke of the day around the dealership watercooler.

·
Registered
09 CTS
91 Posts
Make sure they detail the car in & out. Bring a soft cloth towel with you and throw it gently across the hood, if it does not slide they did not wax the car.
This happened to me when I picked up my CTS from Armen Cadillac in Pa, they use a detail shop down the street and they did not wax the car but said they did, I had to prove it to those losers. I would say 70% of the new cars being delivered are not detailed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts