Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, in my 1998 eldorado the delay wipers sometimes work and sometimes not. The low and Hi settings work and occasionally the delay function will work but as soon as I turn the car off it goes back to not working. Is there a relay or something that I could change to fix it, winter is coming and delay wipers would be more convienent to turning them on and off every 10 seconds to clean the windshield, and help would be appreciated, thanks, jeremy

·
Registered
1989 Fleetwood FWD / 2000 ETC / 2000 STS / 2006 STS V-8 1SF RWD
475 Posts
Hello...
Is the car equipped with Rainsense wipers?
(There will be a black box attached to the windshield near the rearview mirror.)
Further, do the wipers swipe once when the car is started
when switch is turned to the first click?
If this is true for you, then you have Rainsense wipers which are moisture sensitive
and are triggered by the amount of water on the windshield- not by time delay.
Do a search on "Rainsense" on these forums so you can understand how the system works
and post back your solution.

If you do not have these wipers, I don't have a solution for you...sorry

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I don't have the rainsense wipers on my car. When I move the key to the first position the wipers do not swipe once and there is no box behind my rearview mirror. Very rarely does the delay setting work and only for a short amount of time. I am just wondering if it is something in the control on the column or a relay or wiring elsewhere. Its just confusing how they work on hi and low but not time delay. I really don't need it, its just annoying to keep swiping the wipers every 10 seconds when its raining lightly thats all. Any help will be very appreciated, thanks again jeremy

·
Registered
157 Posts
Get the Factory Service Manual, (FSM), it will tell you everything you need to know about troubleshooting your wiper problems. If you have an ETC, it did come with Rainsense and has been disconnected probably due to the windsheild being replaced. That's what usually is the case.
lry99eldo

·
Registered
91 Posts
It could also be your windshield wiper switch that's going. I know in Fords those rotary click switches for the delay wipers went bad after a while. The contacts wore out. However the HI and LO settings typically worked fine, as they are a more solid connection. This could be the case with yours as well.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, my eldorado is not at etc, only an esc. Im pretty sure the switch is fine because it occasionally works perfect so I figured it would be a problem somewhere else that maybe someone had before. Thanks anyway for your help,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts