Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
09 V 6M Thunder Gray
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I had my V1 and the V2 came out, I found quite a few reasons to keep the V1. Price was a big one. Was it really worth the $30k I needed to spend?

Fast forward to 2010 and I had to have it and that I did.

My 09 6MT was better in nearly every way. Not just a little better. A LOT better! I could not believe the jump in improvement that was made.

Fast forward to today and I am staring at my 09 in the driveway. The car is the best car I have ever owned. It still drops my jaw in both looks and performance.

I'd have to lay down $60k to get into the V3.

Is it possible to improve so drastically with the V3?

Secretly I hope they don't come out with a manual transmission ;)

That would force me to keep the V2 for a while longer

·
Registered
Gone; ‘09 V, ‘13 V coupe. Curr; ‘14 PG Vsport prem w/Kona interior
6,177 Posts
^^Yep. Keep those wheels away from the curbs, and the paint polished. Don't want any sloppy seconds! ;)

·
Registered
'16 CTS V-Sport Black/'16 CTS Luxury w/V-Sport Pkg White
5,784 Posts
^^Yep. Keep those wheels away from the curbs, and the paint polished. Don't want any sloppy seconds! ;)
it would pretty much take extreme circumstances for me to buy a reasonably attainable high performance car used.....speaking of sloppy seconds....cars like SRTs, EVOs, and Vs get ridden hard and put away wet...they are thrashed...especially higher line cars that are likely to be leased the first owner just doesn't care, about proper break in or maintenance because they plan to eject the vehicle from their driveways in 24 to 36 months, it's somebody else's problem

when i say extreme, i mean a little old lady from pasadena was the original owner, or a person with a lot of cars one of which is a track car they get their thrashing urges out on...or some other unusual circumstance that led to the car being pampered in the extreme.

we have an old lady customer that has a white burt reynolds era firebird complete with flaming turkey on the hood and white leather inside, that she brings to have serviced annually like clockwork....she doesn't drives it enough to wear out the oil service interval, no...she services it because she times out the oil annually...i would buy that car in a heartbeat, the thing looks brand new, and concours clean

·
Registered
CTS-V (Black 2014), CTS-V (Red obsession 2014)
776 Posts
it would pretty much take extreme circumstances for me to buy a reasonably atainable high performance car used.....speaking of sloppy seconds....cars like SRTs, EVOs, and Vs get ridden hard and put away wet...they are thrashed...especially higher line cars that are likely to be leased the first owner just doesn't care, about proper break in or maintenance because they plan to eject the vehicle from their driveways in 24 to 36 months, it's somebody else's problem
This is very true. If you buy a used V2 from a New Jersey wholesaler, look for a small slit in the spare tire well... This is where the nitrous line was routed forward to the engine compartment.

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
I get what you guys are saying and agree however, think about all the V2's that were bought by guys who just wanted another trophy/bragging rights and never saw a track or even much use.
There will be V3's like that available in a few years and guys like me will be there to scoop them up. :)

·
Registered
09 V 6M Thunder Gray
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
But will/does the V3 represent the same quantum leap the V2 did over the V1? I dunno...

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
I get what you guys are saying and agree however, think about all the V2's that were bought by guys who just wanted another trophy/bragging rights and never saw a track or even much use.
There will be V3's like that available in a few years and guys like me will be there to scoop them up. :)
I disagree those cars more often than not are keepers to their owners.....we're about two years away for the high turnover rate (lease end cars, early adopters cars) gen2 V's to have come and gone through the used car market these are the scary ones ....... As for the rest there is great pressure for these to be kept ....one is a perceived lack of performance improvement, let face the truth that in America we're not that great at a few things car wise one is our number of stick drivers is dreadful compared to other markets and another and most important for this post is we don't go left and right as well as we mash pedals ......hence the popularity of nascar and drag racing here vs auto cross and road races ...hopefully this is changing, but my point is the V is more stoplight terrorizer than mountain road shark for most owners and zero to 60 of 3.9 seconds is more than good enough compared to 3.7 seconds ......... Simply put .2 seconds is not enough value to justify an up to 30% increase in price, and that is a new for new difference for a fully loaded for fully loaded upgrade.......not to mention these will be depreciated cars so for these cream puffs to be returned to the used market v2 owners have an even higher hurdle ........ I suspect v3 will comprise of folks who are new to V, conquest import buyers, and v2 owners well heeled enough to be immune to the cost

----------

My orders are reflecting this . Of my dozen orders so far the only ones that have had a V2 are my dealer owner, a great customer replacing their 1000 HP Hennessy V2, and a super fun family that has one for each family member and is replacing their fleet

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V 6MT, 2017 AMG GLC43
310 Posts
Great post. I'm afraid I'm going to have to agree here :yup:

Put me in the camp where I find it more intriguing to add a Z06 to the stable than trade in the V2 - why take a bath on resale for incremental performance improvement (combined with the loss of the manual shifter) and kick myself down the road for giving away a now unique car? The $70K or so required for upgrade can be better put elsewhere.

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
I disagree.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. While yours is certainly backed by years of experience in the automotive sales/service industry, in this instance all you need for proof is to look in the V2 general discussion section and read the posts of members who been able to find those low mile, unmolested V2's.

Are they uncommon? Probably so, but they're out there.

No reason to believe there won't be well loved and cared for V3's in a few years for substantially less than the original sale price.

Here's a couple of examples that only took a few minutes to find. Obviously I can't vouch for their condition. Pictures are only good for so much, but it's a good starting point for someone looking for a good used V.

http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?shopperListingsSearch=10289543#listing=115115863

http://m.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=399560327&zip=23452&endYear=2015&pageLayout=list&sortBy=distanceASC&startYear=2012&listingTypes=used&maxMileage=15000&searchRadius=0&mmt=[CAD[CTS[CTS|V]][]]

·
Registered
09 V 6M Thunder Gray
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes. Another 84hp and sheds 200lbs and has a better handling chassis.
I don't think that's a quantum leap from the V2. Not like the V1 to V2 experience. But I know there's more than 84HP, 200lbs and a better chassis. POW is right, GM doesn't expect most V2 owners to make the move right away. There's no doubt they are wooing the competition buyers. I still see one in my future though. Just when...

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. While yours is certainly backed by years of experience in the automotive sales/service industry, in this instance all you need for proof is to look in the V2 general discussion section and read the posts of members who been able to find those low mile, unmolested V2's.

Are they uncommon? Probably so, but they're out there.

No reason to believe there won't be well loved and cared for V3's in a few years for substantially less than the original sale price.

Here's a couple of examples that only took a few minutes to find. Obviously I can't vouch for their condition. Pictures are only good for so much, but it's a good starting point for someone looking for a good used V.

http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?shopperListingsSearch=10289543#listing=115115863

http://m.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=399560327&zip=23452&endYear=2015&pageLayout=list&sortBy=distanceASC&startYear=2012&listingTypes=used&maxMileage=15000&searchRadius=0&mmt=[CAD[CTS[CTS|V]][]]
I said 'I disagree' for a reason....i purposefully meant not to speak for anyone but myself...secondly i never spoke in absolutes and the proof is a few words to the right of what you quoted me saying

more often than not
and in the context of the rest of my post this is a fair assessment ...i mention the early years high churn rate...then you get a stabilized V market where the majority are long term owners and the rate of used V's will slow down fairly sharply

will used v's cease to pop up in the market?...of course not....but from a practical view...a very large percentage will be sold and returned in 3- 5 years....then you have the long term owners replacing these at a much slower rate....and of the long termers that do return to market....from my perspective only a fraction are clean enough to retail(the rest go to auction) so that you can buy....so in the end you have a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of cream puff CTS-V's left to buy

these are not collectibles (although the wagon is poised to be) people bought this car because it was supercar performance at a reasonably attainable price....a car that hits you in the back like a hammer....i for one have a very high expectation that the majority of owners bought it to use it...there are a lot better ways to show off with $75 grand than to keep a car under wraps and not used...i think the best way for a V owner to show off is the make the passenger seat a giggle seat and give friends and family a thrill ride now and then and i believe that's whats happening

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
Apologies for cutting off your second (I think) sentence. However, I don't believe I misconstrued the intended meaning.

I disagree those cars more often than not are keepers to their owners.....
Although a majority of the low mileage, unmolested "cream puffs" are intended to be keepers, as my V coupe is to me,
the fact is there are low mileage, unmolested V2 "cream puffs" to be had for substantially less than the original purchase price.

And I don't see why it will be any different with the V3's.

That is all I was saying from the beginning.

----------

these are not collectibles (although the wagon is poised to be) people bought this car because it was supercar performance at a reasonably attainable price....
Maybe/maybe not collectibles. Time will tell on that. I'm willing to bet they will remain "desirables" for many years to come.
In addition to supercar performance at a relative bargain price, the V2 was a substantial improvement over the V1 in every respect AND could be had in wagon and coupe form too!

While the V3 is substantially improved in tech, it isn't as big a step forward in performance (according published reports, not to mention the curiously unreported ring time) over the V2 that the V2 was over the V1.

I still want a V3 though, and will have one. I'll just have to wait a few years for one of those few "cream puffs" to come up for sale. :)

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Apologies for cutting off your second (I think) sentence. However, I don't believe I misconstrued the intended meaning.

Although a majority of the low mileage, unmolested "cream puffs" are intended to be keepers, as my V coupe is to me,
the fact is there are low mileage, unmolested V2 "cream puffs" to be had for substantially less than the original purchase price.

And I don't see why it will be any different with the V3's.

That is all I was saying from the beginning.

----------

Maybe/maybe not collectibles. Time will tell on that. I'm willing to bet they will remain "desirables" for many years to come.
In addition to supercar performance at a relative bargain price, the V2 was a substantial improvement over the V1 in every respect AND could be had in wagon and coupe form too!

While the V3 is substantially improved in tech, it isn't as big a step forward in performance (according published reports, not to mention the curiously unreported ring time) over the V2 that the V2 was over the V1.

I still want a V3 though, and will have one. I'll just have to wait a few years for one of those few "cream puffs" to come up for sale. :)
there will always be nice examples popping up which is why i worded my post in a way as to not be an absolute statement..that post was in response to the impression i got from yours that good ones will be plentiful....which is where our opinions differ i feel that hard used ones will be plentiful, and my post as a response was meant as a 'Caveat Emptor'....as far as getting a good one is concerned, as with many things in life, patience is usually rewarded

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
..that post was in response to the impression i got from yours that good ones will be plentiful....which is where our opinions differ i feel that hard used ones will be plentiful, and my post as a response was meant as a 'Caveat Emptor'....as far as getting a good one is concerned, as with many things in life, patience is usually rewarded
Clearly we have a failure to communicate here. ;)

Apparently we have been in agreement all along. It was never my intent to indicate a belief that cream puff V2/3's are or will be plentiful. The V2's aren't and I don't expect the V3's to be either.
For those of us willing to wait and then do some careful searching, I believe we will rewarded with cream puff V3's.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
yeah the sad thing is I see a lot of the ugly things that happen to those cars.....it's just too much car for most

1 - 18 of 18 Posts