Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1998 Concours. The problem I am having is that the defrost grill will not stay in place. I am referring to the plastic grill insert that is mounted in the top of the dash. The grill fits OK in the middle but both ends stick up out of the dash opening and will not stay down.

Has anyone else had this fitment problem? Any ideas on how to fix it? It really bothers me to have such a nice car with what appears to be a very poorly designed item - it looks like the kind of ill-fitting item you would find in a very cheap car!

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,785 Posts
Everyone has had that problem. You can either replace it or glue it down on the ends.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Had the same problem on 96, 97, 98 devill I cut plywood inserts for each opening pulled the dash pad off,cleaned under the edges applied glue under the edges clamped the edges down with the plywood forms till dry reinstalled.replacement pad was like 600.00 glue is much cheaper. good luck sts96

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oi vay. So this is a common problem. Shame, shame GM! Well, I certainly can't leave it as is. Taking off the dash pad is goiong to be a chore!

Thanks for the posts guys.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,785 Posts
You don't have to remove the dash pad. Just remove the grill and use a good glue on the underside. If you look at it, it is just held in by small nubs (too small) that cause a pressure fit. If you are creative, you might build up those nubs with some epoxy to extend them a little for a tighter fit.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again. I was out looking at it and thought just that - I will try something "from above" as it were. I see that the nubs are too small. Oh well - get 'er done!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts