Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always installed deer whistles on my vehicles and haven't hit one yet. Both logic and superstition urge me to install them on my XT5 before the "deadliest animal in North America" does its worst. Where will I put them?

·
Registered
768 Posts
We have a lot of deer around where I live and it seems everyone I know has had an encounter. The problem is, I see no evidence that whistles work. I know this is anecdotal, but my parents always kept deer whistles on their cars and yet my mother still had a collision with one. Honestly, I think the solution is larger quotas for hunters and a longer hunting season. i personally do not hunt and never have, but I know many who do and I'd love to see them have more opportunity to enjoy their sport while reducing the number of these dangerous animals.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Constantly see them. So far never hit them. Been very lucky.
I've always been told that deer whistles don't work.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was looking at the lowest grill opening but see a sensor there, presumably ultrasonic (as are the whistles.) I'm a little embarrassed by my superstitious attachment to these things and am looking for an inconspicuous spot. Once we had skied at Fernie and were returning to Seattle through eastern Washington and there was a plaque of observable deer and deer carcasses. Glad to have whistles then. Always happy to have them on my motorcycle. Maybe I should go for a St. Christopher medallion instead.

·
-Administrator- 2002.5 F55 STS 2014 FWD Explorer
66,638 Posts
Over here - Maryland's Eastern Shore - we have a large, mobile white tail deer population. The standard joke is to "install a deer whistle so the critters can locate your car to jump in front of". Leave your money in your wallet. The best "deer whistle" here is a .32 Winchester Special at 40 yards.

Attentive driving at dusk and dawn, especially during rut, is the trick. If your car and a deer are moving so as to arrive in the same spot at the same time a deer whistle isn't going to prevent that.

·
Registered
302 Posts
The whistles are so small and easy to hide that if it makes you feel better then go ahead, no harm, not as if they are expensive. I've never used one and never hit a deer either but have had plenty of them run right in front of me on the highway, luckily up to now they've been out of striking range. We also have a ton of moose in Ontario, and those suckers love to just stand in the middle of the road waiting to be hit. Those guys do mega damage and are very dangerous to hit. Don't think the whistle would alarm a moose who's just standing there. For the price and ease of use, if it makes you feel better I say hey go for it. All the other comments about shooting deer and such are pointless when you're on the highway doing 100 and a deer jumps in front of you. We have plenty of hunting where I am and the deer / moose / bears on the road are not affected by hunting. More often than not they are being driven out of the bush to the road while they are attempting to get away from bugs eating them.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can't find a good, inconspicuous place to put them. I'll get by without deer whistles.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Maybe on the roof tucked on the inboard side of the roof rack rails? Just stay away from the plugged double hole locations where the cross rails mount. In the event you decide to get them, you don't want the whistles in the way.

Max

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I've got cross rails but they would look too obvious mounted under the front one. I read in the paper today about "zombie" deer. I think I should move on. Then there are the angry psychedelic elk of Tacoma, WA.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts