Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
NONE
3,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am like 99% done with my nitrous install and I have a serious problem. since the nitrous plate pushed the throttle body out about a half inch my CAI will not fit at all. I cut it a bit in the hopes that it would fit but without the PERFECT 90" bend there is no hope of it fitting. I am not sure what to do about it and now my car is stuck in my parking lot with no air intake and my dyno day is scheduled for Thursday morning. Any ideas? Anything would really help at this point!

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
14,075 Posts
Ted, get your digital camera out and take a bunch of pics. The force of dozens of guys looking at them will get you to the dyno on time.

·
Registered
NONE
3,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll go snap some pics right now. I think I'm going to try a Fernco joint from menards for a temporary fix if I can get it to fit right. If that doesn't work I think I'm going to have to get parts for a custom FFV intake overnighted to me. It's really the only solution I can see

·
14,075 Posts
So, overnighted means, like, Wednesday receiving them and putting them on (with fingers crossed) before Thursday which is dyno day?

Ah, Mod Hell. Doncha just love it?!! :lildevil:

·
Registered
NONE
3,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Photos:

Sneek preview of the setup under the hood if I ever get this thing working I'll order some custom length hoses:

CAI ALMOST fitting, but not, I tried to leave some of the straight part near the bend so the hose clamp would still work, but no dice. Plus my saw had a problem halfway through and made a really bad cut:

Bolt that hits CAI, makes it necessary to completly remove the bend in the K&N tube and use a 90" flexible silicone bend:

Anyone have any ideas other than a 90" silicone bend to act like a custom FFV intake?

·
Registered
NONE
3,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
anyone know if they carry those silicone bends at advance or autozone?

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
1,415 Posts
Ted. Let me just say that I don't have a K&N CAI, but if I was you earlier today I would have left the 90 degree bend at the TB alone. I would have measured the thickness of the TB plate and then trimmed that same amount off the front most edge of the airbox ( the corner of the filter box by the headlight ) then you could have moved the whole intake forward as one unit, know what I mean? just slide the whole thing forward.

Then again.. from your pictures it looks like the straight section of the tube might not of even had that amount of clearance... you might not even have the airbox part either! So what do I know? nuthin

I know autozone carries some generic silicon couplers and reducers... i'd put your chances at fairly slim

home depot carries a bunch of 4" and 3.5" rubber couplers with hose clamps.. but they don't have 90 degree bends in there and the rubber ones would be to flexible if they did... so stop by there if you only need a coupler to slide over the mucked up intake bend.

Good luck sir. I know you'll get it... even if you have to fab up a whole new DIY intake tube!

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
1,415 Posts
PS. nice collection of pics.

Make sure you do a sweet write up so if I decide to keep my bottle I can follow down the path you blazed.... :)

·
Registered
2005 Platinum CTS V-Headers+3in pipes
3,012 Posts

·
Registered
NONE
3,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
trim the KNN tube and add one of these
i used this silicone reducer for my CAI set up. good quality part, doesn't deform on WOT vacuum. doesn't help you much since your in a time crunch

http://www.siliconeintakes.com/product_info.php?cPath=14&products_id=958&osCsid=3d1769155d4489cf75d47da54742801d
Thanks for the link. Just ordered one with overnight shipping I hope they ship it tomorrow morning (this morning!). I hope the K&N is a 3.5" tube. I am almost sure it is.

·
Registered
NONE
3,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ted. Let me just say that I don't have a K&N CAI, but if I was you earlier today I would have left the 90 degree bend at the TB alone. I would have measured the thickness of the TB plate and then trimmed that same amount off the front most edge of the airbox ( the corner of the filter box by the headlight ) then you could have moved the whole intake forward as one unit, know what I mean? just slide the whole thing forward.

Good luck sir. I know you'll get it... even if you have to fab up a whole new DIY intake tube!
This IS getting done in time for the dyno day dammit :lildevil:!! The stock airbox was going to be my LAST option. I have the whole thing sitting in Munster and I was going to take my girlfriends car to get it. The stock flex tube would definitely provide enough clearance for at least the dyno day!

·
Registered
2005 Platinum CTS V-Headers+3in pipes
3,012 Posts
well done:cool2: :pop2: on that dyno day...

~~~~unrelated~~
this site needs a build thread subsection for all these badass:v:s...

·
Registered
'05 CTS-V, '00 SLS, 98 SLS, 89 Eldo, '80 Eldo
4,001 Posts
Easy there drama queen. You are NOT "deep" into mod hell. The simple fact that you can bolt up your stock parts and drive the car puts you in mod heck :thepan:
Seriously though, you do know that the 90* tube needs to be 4" to 3.5" right? Just mentioning it cuz I know its easy to miss the little things when your stressed with mod heck.
Good luck

·
14,075 Posts
Easy there drama queen. You are NOT "deep" into mod hell. The simple fact that you can bolt up your stock parts and drive the car puts you in mod heck :thepan: ...
Post of the month! :histeric::rofl:

Thanks for the link. Just ordered one with overnight shipping I hope they ship it tomorrow morning (this morning!). I hope the K&N is a 3.5" tube. I am almost sure it is.
Way to go, Ted! You can always spend your way out of Mod Hell/Heck. :D

j/k Good luck with this. The elbow in that link looks pretty good, IMO. I would bet you can make that work with a little fab effort. We all want to see those dyno numbers.

·
Registered
Platinum 2004 CTS-V
4,914 Posts
Ted, go with the stock air TUBE. EPP did a bunch of tests and the tubes don't make anymore HP than a perfectly straight one. Then you can still keep your big air filter, and you should be aboe to fit the tube in there np.

Where you getting it dyno'd?

·
Registered
Cadillac
203 Posts
Let me know what you decide to do, if you don't use your CAI pipe my K&N rubbed a hole through against a pulley!!!i need one

·
Registered
NONE
3,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Easy there drama queen. You are NOT "deep" into mod hell. The simple fact that you can bolt up your stock parts and drive the car puts you in mod heck :thepan:
Seriously though, you do know that the 90* tube needs to be 4" to 3.5" right? Just mentioning it cuz I know its easy to miss the little things when your stressed with mod heck.
Good luck
Maaan Tony, way to make a guy feel good about the forum :banghead:! The only reason I said I was deep in mod hell was to get more people's attention! The fact that I can't drive my car to/from work for 2 days and have no other way to get there since it's summer at Purdue and almost no one is here doesn't help either! The 4" to 3.5" silicone 90" elbow shipped today and will be here tomorrow.

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
1,415 Posts
Ted, go with the stock air TUBE. EPP did a bunch of tests and the tubes don't make anymore HP than a perfectly straight one. Then you can still keep your big air filter, and you should be aboe to fit the tube in there np.

Lolly you sure? I was pretty sure that it was the filter as 1st culprit, and then the squeeze tube did make a difference. If the tube doesn't matter, why not just get a drop in filter and call it a day? people could avoid spending the 300+ on a volant or K&N. I could of swore the pinched part of the intake tube mattered.

·
Registered
Platinum 2004 CTS-V
4,914 Posts
Lolly you sure? I was pretty sure that it was the filter as 1st culprit, and then the squeeze tube did make a difference. If the tube doesn't matter, why not just get a drop in filter and call it a day? people could avoid spending the 300+ on a volant or K&N. I could of swore the pinched part of the intake tube mattered.
Hell idk, that's what Brent (EPP tuner) told me. He said they did comparisons on the two on the dyno and didn't find a difference.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts