Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
1997 Aurora 4.6
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 97 aroura that had a 4.6 NorthStar put in it . Trying to find out more about this motor so I can get the right parts to fix it when the time comes . I have located a number etched on the side below the #1plug but can not find any charts to explain said number . the number is 6TU298495 I also have seen a large #9 molded into the block just above this number and also #46 just above the exhaust manifold . any help would be greatly appreciated seeing as my local gm and caddy dealers were not interested unless I made an appt for service .

·
-Administrator-
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
66,934 Posts
That number is called "VIN derivative", it's part of the original vehicle's VIN, and here's the way to decipher it.

If the engine has spark plug wires and 4 visible coils it's a pre-2000; if it has coil-on-plug cassettes it's a 2000 - 2004.

You might find other ideas with a Google search like "cadillac forums northstar engine vin definitions" or something close.

Click to enlarge, use the < > to scroll to another image, click the little grid lower right for the full picture.

VIN character definitions.gif VIN derivative position.gif VIN derivative.gif

1 - 2 of 2 Posts