Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am a new member and I have a few questions. First I own a 2001 STS and I have had some problems with it. For example, the car burns oil. It used to burn about 1.5 quarts every 1300-1500 miles. The dealer performed a ring clean and the burn has slowed but it still burns about 1.5 quarts per 3,000 miles. This seems excessive to me. Is this excessive and will I have problems passing smog if this continues? In addition I have had several sensors replaced and my steering shaft replaced twice for grinding, clicking and general looseness in the steering wheel. Are these problems common or did I just get stuck with a lemon? Finally, my car is a certified pre owned with one year remaining on the warranty. I am considering selling the car and moving to a Certified Deville DHS. What problems are common with this car and should I expect the same problems or not? The difficulty I am having with my decision is that when my car is running I love it I am just concerned that when my warranty ends in 2006 that I will have to constantly put money into the vehicle at roughly the same cost as a car payment of about $400 per month in repairs. Can anyone help me with these questions and provide some information.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
This thread may be moved, and im not sure about the other problems but I do know the N* uses about that amount of oil, you can lower it slightly by performing WOT on it every once in a while (WOT = Wide Open Throttle) basically, floor it, pedal to the floor, and it cleans out out so to speak.

CHeck the N* tech forum for details of this its been covered many times, search for "WOT"

As for the DHS and STS, well we just sold our DHS yesterday, and I'd tak ethe STS over it any day, and finally, welcome to the forums!! :welcome:

·
Registered
'87 Jeep, '10 Thruxton, '00 Duc 748, '01 748R (853cc)
3,703 Posts
Yes, it's in th section directly above this one. Second from the top http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23 . I know there was a TSB on the steering shaft, but I don't know why it would have had to be replaced twice. As fasr as the warranty goes, I think you can buy an extended warranty for the vehicle through GM if you really wanted to keep the STS. On the other hand, the DHS is a nice car, but a ccompletely different animal all together.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts