Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was spraying down the throttle body, had the blade at WOT, and all of a sudden the 8" plastic straw is propelled into the engine. Now, I could see it, but when I tried to grab it with some long nose pliers, it fell down into the engine.

1. Is there some sort of easy way to get it out? Will it work itself out through the exhaust?
2. What potential kind of damage will this cause?
3. Is it safe to drive on?
4. It's also almost time for an oil change. Should I get that done ASAP?

PS> Thank you for holding any sarcastic comments. I know it sounds really stupid and no, I don't know how it flew off. Yes, I was holding it but when I adjusted the blade, I must have loosened my grip. Thank you for all of your positive replies!

:D

·
Registered
548 Posts
Stuff like this happens.
I don't think the plastic will hurt anything because it will melt around 400 Degrees.
I got into a habit at a young age that when I take a breather off of a motor the
bolts that hold it on go into my pocket.
If it were metal I would say it would hurt something. Don't run the motor.

·
Super Moderator
86,082 Posts
I doubt that it will make it into the combustion chamber as it is too long and will not likely move past the intake port. It sounds like it is most likely lying in the bottom of the intake manifold. A dental mirror and a flash light might help you locate it. Once you do get a flexible claw retriever to help you retrieve it. I would be concerned that if it did melt and go through the engine it may cause damage to an O2 sensor or the cat. Then again it may burn up before it got to that point.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
rockytfox said:
I was spraying down the throttle body, had the blade at WOT, and all of a sudden the 8" plastic straw is propelled into the engine. Now, I could see it, but when I tried to grab it with some long nose pliers, it fell down into the engine.

1. Is there some sort of easy way to get it out? Will it work itself out through the exhaust?
2. What potential kind of damage will this cause?
3. Is it safe to drive on?
4. It's also almost time for an oil change. Should I get that done ASAP?

PS> Thank you for holding any sarcastic comments. I know it sounds really stupid and no, I don't know how it flew off. Yes, I was holding it but when I adjusted the blade, I must have loosened my grip. Thank you for all of your positive replies!

:D
This sort of thing happens more often than you might think. Yes, the "wand" will likely lay at the bottom of the intake until it gets warm, then stick there forever. I would avoid WOT's at least until the engine gets up to normal operating temperature for a while. Worse case scenario is that it gets stuck to an intake valve, but even in that event, it won't live long there.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I heard of a guy who had a similar problem while doing the same thing. He was using a old white gym sock for cleaning the carb area. He set it on top the carb where the float is and started it up.

The vacum from reving the motor sucked the sock right into the carb. The car coughed a time or two then that was it.

He never tried to find it by pulling things apart and he never had any problems afterwards.

FWIW

K

·
Registered
10,429 Posts
Wonder if that changed the odor of the exhaust............. ?
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
KOBO said:
The vacum from reving the motor sucked the sock right into the carb. The car coughed a time or two then that was it.
:histeric: Must have sucked it into the big secondaries. It is funny because it reminds me...have you ever been riding a bike and accidently swallowed a gnat? Cough a few times and that is it. Kinda sounds like what the car did with the sock. That's priceless.

I think it will be alright. Just let the car warm all the way up before driving off. No sense in pulling more vac into the intake until the engine gets hot and that straw sticks to wherever it is at.

Does anyone remember a couple of years ago when one member who had a hood scoop sucked in a bird? He mentioned he didn't have a air filter installed. I wonder what happened to that vehicle. I know he posted back but I can't remember how it panned out.

·
Super Moderator
86,082 Posts
Eldyfig said:
:histeric:
Does anyone remember a couple of years ago when one member who had a hood scoop sucked in a bird? He mentioned he didn't have a air filter installed. I wonder what happened to that vehicle. I know he posted back but I can't remember how it panned out.
Yeah, that was BeAsT. He was also the guy who let his mother use his car with nitrous. She was trying to open the trunk and just kept pushing the (wrong) button. When she finaly started the car the intake exploded and damn near gave her a heart attack. That guy was a riot. Last we heard of him, he wrecked his Deville and was driving a Neon "and it was slow".

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Ranger said:
Yeah, that was BeAsT. He was also the guy who let his mother use his car with nitrous. She was trying to open the trunk and just kept pushing the (wrong) button. When she finaly started the car the intake exploded and damn near gave her a heart attack. That guy was a riot. Last we heard of him, he wrecked his Deville and was driving a Neon "and it was slow".
That's hilarious. I can't stop laughing when I picture all that juice pouring in and then she turns the key while saying, "Damn trunk!" Right out of a National Lampoon movie.

From a Cadillac to a Neon... :mad:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, thanks for all the replies. It's been almost 24 hours now since the wand incident and I haven't experienced any problems. I was really worried about it for a little while but thanks to all the replies, I am feeling much more confident that it will just pass right through.

·
Super Moderator
86,082 Posts
Eldyfig said:
That's hilarious. I can't stop laughing when I picture all that juice pouring in and then she turns the key while saying, "Damn trunk!" Right out of a National Lampoon movie.

From a Cadillac to a Neon... :mad:
If you think that is funny, you should have read HIS posts. I don't know if they were true or not but he had a knack for telling a story, and there where many of them. He was a constant source of entertainment.

·
Banned
7,971 Posts
Ranger said:
He wired it wrong then... guy sounds like a real moron.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
8 Participants
davesdeville