Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2014 S550, 2018 XT5 Platinum, 2019 XT4 Sport :)
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone take a peak behind the foam pad insert of the front fenders. To my surprise, the fender was stuffed with leaves and sticks. If you open the front doors, push to the side the black pad and let me know if anyone else has a load of debris collected behind there. I can see this as being a problem in the future as it will hold dirt an moisture and cause possibly premature Rust. I cannot believe how much is in the fenders....

Please if a few people can report back on findings....

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,670 Posts
Leaves and sticks in void spaces indicate nesting attempts by squirrels or other rodents.

Or you park under some really nasty trees/shrubbery.

My 2002 is squeaky clean in there.

·
Registered
XT4 Black Sport
184 Posts
I found two small leaves and created a hell of a bruise on my hand in accessing the area. ( I take blood thinners and I bruise easily.)

·
Registered
2018 XT5
45 Posts
Thanks for the info. I found a leaf and a couple of pine needles on each side. This is after 1 year, so I guess it's not too bad. Something I'll check once in awhile.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. I found a leaf and a couple of pine needles on each side. This is after 1 year, so I guess it's not too bad. Something I'll check once in awhile.
I guess it depends where you park.. For people parking under Pine Trees (God Forbid) or under trees in general that shed leaves, give those fender wells a look. I have not looked to close to figure out how the leaves are getting in the fender wells....

·
Registered
2012 SRX, 2018 XT5 Premium lux AWD
65 Posts
2018 XT5 7500 miles checked out after reading this. Passenger side had a large handful of leaves driver side just a couple.I guess something I will need to check occasionally to keep future rusting away.:bigroll: Mine is stored in garage and when at work in the middle of a large parking lot.So no trees or small critters.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
2018 XT5 7500 miles checked out after reading this. Passenger side had a large handful of leaves driver side just a couple.I guess something I will need to check occasionally to keep future rusting away.:bigroll:
Need to figure out how entire leaves are getting in there. I can just imagine the problems in the future this can cause. Less than a year and that much buildup is way too much. Nothing should be building up in fenders....

·
Registered
2017 XT5 Platinum, Dark Adriatic Blue Metalic, Maple Sugar
311 Posts
After 2.75 years on the road, I got a leaf and 2 pine needles out of my fender today.

·
Administrator
70,670 Posts
Need to figure out how entire leaves are getting in there. I can just imagine the problems in the future this can cause. Less than a year and that much buildup is way too much. Nothing should be building up in fenders....
Did you read Post #2 ??????? - get rid of the squirrels and rats.

Wait until you find snakes curled up on the warm engine or chewed wiring from rodents ........... common.

Try a wadded up fabric softener cloth in each fender area.

EDIT: "In the garage........" makes no difference - for mice and snakes, especially. You might be amazed at the amount of leaves, twigs, pine needles, and fluff that a mouse can move in one night.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Well I can assure you its not mice or rats or squirrels or bears:bigroll:
They get in there through everyday road driving

·
Registered
2013 SRX (sold) 2017 XT5 Dark Granite / Jet Black
284 Posts
Following suggestion from Nice Ride, I went to my dealer this morning and reported bad odors inside my car and asked to look inside the front fenders. Here are the pictures :

Driver side :
Driver side re.jpg

Passenger side :
Passenger side re.jpg

This is after only 2 years and a half and I'm not living in a forest ! My dealer cleaned everything and sent pictures to GM asking a solution to prevent this. If you open the hood, you will see a big hole on each side of the front windshield and nothing to prevent leaves and others elements to go there.

·
Administrator
70,670 Posts
If you open the hood, you will see a big hole on each side of the front windshield and nothing to prevent leaves and others elements to go there.
Design flaw. Most quality vehicles incorporate screening molded into the windshield base air paneling to prevent just this sort of problem. I assumed (there you go) that the vehicle in question had at least rudimentary debris protection.

Sort of like this generic example - at least it catches the big chunks.

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Very good find! I have cleaned mine out again and as a temp fix till Either GM or I come up with a better one. I wadded up some black aluminum window screen and pushed into hole.Allows the water to flow through and air but blocks the debris:2thumbs:

·
Registered
18 XT5 / 18 CTS 3.6 AWD
604 Posts
Very good find! I have cleaned mine out again and as a temp fix till Either GM or I come up with a better one. I wadded up some black aluminum window screen and pushed into hole.Allows the water to flow through and air but blocks the debris:2thumbs:
Good idea.

·
Registered
2013 SRX (sold) 2017 XT5 Dark Granite / Jet Black
284 Posts
Instead of aluminium window screen, you can put piece of gutter guard. It is more rigid and solid than window screen

·
Administrator
70,670 Posts
Cut and fitted pieces of black nylon screening, each retained by a half-dozen blobs of GE silicone RTV sealant, will do the trick.

·
Registered
65 Posts
But ridged is not better some times. The hood hinge needs to push down in and if its to ridged the hinge will just push the guard down or out of place and leave gap again

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Following suggestion from Nice Ride, I went to my dealer this morning and reported bad odors inside my car and asked to look inside the front fenders. Here are the pictures :

Driver side :
View attachment 549090

Passenger side :
View attachment 549092

This is after only 2 years and a half and I'm not living in a forest ! My dealer cleaned everything and sent pictures to GM asking a solution to prevent this. If you open the hood, you will see a big hole on each side of the front windshield and nothing to prevent leaves and others elements to go there.
Thank you for taking the time to post pictures! Too many people laugh at this. If you have OCD like me, 1 leaf is too many. I can just imagine what some fenders are collecting for those that park under trees. This is going to be one big mess if you hold onto your car for 5+ years. Sad GM missed this. They should make a Foam insert like Ford had to do on the Transits to stop Water and leaves, etc. from getting in.

Thanks Again for Posting !!!

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So took a look today at how all the crap gets into the fender well. Dumb design. Will post photos later. Left an Right side have a big drain opening directly into the Fender wells.... What were they thinking. What ever collects into screen area will get directly washed down into the fender well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts