Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2005 STS 1SG
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to upgrade my navigation since I'm on 1.00 and found a site selling the disc for $100. Called my local dealership Sarant Cadillac in Farmingdale Long Island and ask if they will do the firmware upgrade. Get told by a service manager that he's never heard of it and has been doing this 21 yeats. Then tells me to go to gmnavdisc.com to buy them. I tell him at the bottom of the page you just sent me to says Cadillac STS 05-07 might need firmware update. He doesn't have a clue what that means....

I give up and call Paul Conte Cadillac in Freeport Long Island and ask the same question, yet get the same answer.... My concern is buying a disc but not having a dealer who can get it working. Anyone else find dealers like this?

·
Registered
2007 STS-V
193 Posts
RUN.. You cannot teach a pig to sing. They will likely screw it up since you have crossed the threshold of knowing more than they do or want to admit. Find a dealer that knows what needs to be done. JMO.

·
Registered
2008 Escalade, 2007 SRX
337 Posts
Just because the knucklehead service advisor doesn't know what he's talking about doesn't mean the tech, who will actually be doing the work, doesn't know what he's doing. There's a reason advisors sit around and deal with the customers and don't fix cars.

·
Registered
08 STS-4 N* 1SG, 08 DTS Luxury II, 04 Bonneville GXP N*
3,210 Posts
Just because the knucklehead service advisor doesn't know what he's talking about doesn't mean the tech, who will actually be doing the work, doesn't know what he's doing. There's a reason advisors sit around and deal with the customers and don't fix cars.
I wouldn't be too quick to jump into the service technician cheering section either. For every good story you might be able to scrape up, I can tell you two horror stories.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,963 Posts
It's a scary thing to educate yourself by reading the service manual before going to the dealer and then listen to the BS they throw at you as they describe how they intend to fix your problem. I finally gave up altogether on the dealer/independent shops and do all my own work. If I need special tools I either buy them on Ebay or make them in my basement machine shop. So far I haven't been stumped.

·
Registered
2007 STS-V
193 Posts
Amen brother... They expect you to be the moron. When you are not it can get really difficult. There are many good dealers out there, you just have to find one and make them your friend. Think of it as an interviewing process where you are the hiring manager because you are.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,963 Posts
Amen brother... They expect you to be the moron. When you are not it can get really difficult. There are many good dealers out there, you just have to find one and make them your friend. Think of it as an interviewing process where you are the hiring manager because you are.
My nearest dealer is 370 miles away and is hopeless by almost any standard.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts