Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I went to the dealer to get a few things done I'd been waiting for until Covid had calmed down a bit. One of the things I needed done was a front blinker replacement on my 2015 XTS, he told me the bumper had to come off and it was gonna be $200 I said I was gonna wait, thats a little too much and when I called the guy on the phone before I came in to schedule this appointment he said probably less than $50 but I'll let you know when I look at it and he said I can work with you, what about $150? And I said honestly I just don't want to spend that on this when I thought it was gonna be a lot less. If you are open to $85 I can do that and then he said lets split it at $100 and I agreed. Were they just desperate for cash infusions or were they overcharging to begin with? Does the 2015 really need the bumper taken off?

·
Registered
2016 Escalade ESV, 2017 GMC Sierra 6.2
1,596 Posts
I think the front bumper needs to at least be loosened up in order to get in there to replace that.
To go from $200 to $100 is a big leap. They certainly could discount jobs in order to earn your business but it’s more typically like applying a 20% off coupon to the whole job then to cut the whole job by 50%.
Maybe they were able to GM to cover part of the cost if you are barely out of warranty?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the front bumper needs to at least be loosened up in order to get in there to replace that.
To go from $200 to $100 is a big leap. They certainly could discount jobs in order to earn your business but it’s more typically like applying a 20% off coupon to the whole job then to cut the whole job by 50%.
Maybe they were able to GM to cover part of the cost if you are barely out of warranty?
It's a 2015 with 95K miles on it, no warranty for a while now. I normally go to this dealer for all service but the people working I had never seen before so its not like they recognized me and though I'm gonna give this guy a deal. I checked online too, you know sometimes theres some coupons for work discounts on certain things, never have I seen a "bulb" one but maybe they did that.

·
Registered
2016 Escalade ESV, 2017 GMC Sierra 6.2
1,596 Posts
Unfortunately (for them) it seems like they were desperate for your money and heavily discounted the repair to get some cash flowing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unfortunately (for them) it seems like they were desperate for your money and heavily discounted the repair to get some cash flowing.
They kind of screwed me previously with my car, took it in for repairs and got it back with the CUE screen broken (worked fine before I brought it in) so $100 discount doesn't hurt.

·
Registered
2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum
338 Posts
Hmmmm......
Wife has a dent on her right front quarter panel.
After seeing this she's gonna see if she can get a cheap quote and get them to match it.

I know business is bad. I want to give it to them and maybe she can get a good deal.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmmm......
Wife has a dent on her right front quarter panel.
After seeing this she's gonna see if she can get a cheap quote and get them to match it.

I know business is bad. I want to give it to them and maybe she can get a good deal.
If you're from Michigan DM me I'll tell you the dealership I went to lol. I'm not sure if body work would be different though compared to maintenance. Worth a shot either way.

·
Registered
2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum
338 Posts
If you're from Michigan DM me I'll tell you the dealership I went to lol. I'm not sure if body work would be different though compared to maintenance. Worth a shot either way.
Illinois. I like my dealer.
I think if I show him a competitor's quote, they'll match to get the business.
I'm only getting quotes from well known, reputable shops. I want a proper job done.

Maybe they'll save me the trouble and be the low bidder! :)

·
Registered
2014 ELR
198 Posts
When you take your car to the dealer they quote you book price. That is the amount of labor that it takes to follow the MFG service procedure for the repair you are requesting. The time is determined by timing an average technician, doing the procedure as written using basic hand tools. When you leave your car they then hand it over to a technician to have him do the work. He will get paid based on the book price.
In this case the service writer knows his techs. He knows what they can do and how long things really take.
Now.. that technician, just like many of you, knows all the shortcuts. He also has power tools, maybe a special tool he fabricated, and he may have done that job 100s of times.
The tech probably got that bulb changed in 10 minutes and made an hours labor on the job.
FYI. I have removed 100s of "bumpers" (actually the front fascia) The first one takes a while. (aka 15 minutes) After 3 or 4 I can have one totally removed in under 5 minutes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts