Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
06 STS-V & 06 STS 4 (sold 2016)
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check this out. Right from the GMNAVDISC.COM Web site...............Dealers should not be charging for the upgrade:

http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/IN...=4hsKCghB9vQAAAE6p_tpoJO_&ShowAllProducts=YES

Attention Model Year 2005-07 Cadillac STS owners with vehicles built before December 2006: This map update is compatible with your navigation system. However, before this disc can be installed, your vehicle may require a software update. Please contact your local dealer to determine if this software update is required for your vehicle. If it is, your dealer will make arrangements to update your system's software at no cost to you.

----------

To be clear, you would probably need to have the latest DVD (or 2012 disc or newer) and have it not be reading first to get the free update.

·
Registered
08 STS-4 N* 1SG, 08 DTS Luxury II, 04 Bonneville GXP N*
3,215 Posts
Interesting. My guess is that most dealers charge because they aren't aware of this (being that it applies to cars so old), not because they are trying to take advantage of the customer. Certainly something to bring to their attention as an informed consumer.

·
Registered
08 STS4 V8 1SG & 04 SRX4 V8 & 01 Monte SS
5,017 Posts
They likely charge since this update does more than just fix the new map DVD.

·
Registered
08 STS-4 N* 1SG, 08 DTS Luxury II, 04 Bonneville GXP N*
3,215 Posts
My guess is they have a code to charge GM (corporate). I really doubt dealerships ever deal directly with a manufacturer of a part. If there is any reimbursement, GM Corporate would obtain that from the manufacturer. It's entirely possible, and likely, that Denso built the unit to a spec at the time of manufacture. If this changed, they likely aren't liable for the cost of upgrading and this would be absorbed by GM. Just my theory though.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They probably charge because, like ddalder said, they don't know any better. If someone is requesting the update because a new DVD won't work, they should be able to make the dealer honor the free update (armed with this info).

They likely charge since this update does more than just fix the new map DVD.

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
the bulletin (#05-08-126-001B) that mentions the STS software update discs (part number 15943724) does not make any mention of covering out of warranty systems

i think that the navigation.com (gmnavdisc center) message about 'no cost to you' is for vehicles still under the factory bumper to bumper warranty

try getting a dealer to work on your car for free because some 3rd party (partner) website says it's shouldn't cost you anything
if the dealer can't figure out a way to get GM to pay (and the bulletin only provides for vehicles under warranty) then they're going to want to charge you something for their time
almost nothing is free after your out of your warranty

·
Registered
343 Posts
RippyPartsDept said:
the bulletin (#05-08-126-001B) that mentions the STS software update discs (part number 15943724) does not make any mention of covering out of warranty systems

i think that the navigation.com (gmnavdisc center) message about 'no cost to you' is for vehicles still under the factory bumper to bumper warranty

try getting a dealer to work on your car for free because some 3rd party (partner) website says it's shouldn't cost you anything
if the dealer can't figure out a way to get GM to pay (and the bulletin only provides for vehicles under warranty) then they're going to want to charge you something for their time
almost nothing is free after your out of your warranty
But 2005, 2006, and some 2007 are already out of warranty. I think it should be covered. It is just an update and not a new system. If it was a new system, I would understand.

·
Registered
2006 STS 1SG & 2007 STS 1SE
13 Posts
It doesn't hurt to try but isn't expensive, less than 1-hour. You're not driving a econo-box.

----------

A smart dealer would do it for goodwill.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's also a brand new message on the Web site. It didn't used to have anything about that. This probably came about after the 2012 DVD came out. I'm guessing it's a new reimbursement program for the dealers.

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
I don't think it's a brand new message. That site is new but everything is just transferred over from the old one.

But I do also agree that a good dealer will figure out a way to take care of it for you if they value your business

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Pretty sure that message was not there last October when I ordered the 2012 disc. I knew from this site that I would need the update, covered under CPO.

·
Registered
07 STS-V (124k on the clock)
10 Posts
I'm still trying to find a dealership to do this update properly for me. Been dealing with this for about 2 1/2 weeks now, driving me nuts having the 13 map disc and can't use it!!!!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts