Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Do they connect to the trans. cooler lines or are there service ports in the side of the case other than the fill and drain plugs ?

If the fill and drain plugs are used how does fluid get circulated through trans and not just the oan ?

Thanks

·
Registered
Cadillac
738 Posts
You can ask your dealer, but the very few flush machines I've seen use the cooling lines. i would ask the dealer what machine they use and then google it.

·
Registered
Cadillac
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,
every machine I ever saw used the lines but the SA said there were ports on the case ?

1300 miles after flush, lines began leaking at the quick clamps under rad.

They agreed to replace them free but said the flush wasn't the cause.

I tried googling first but didn't find anything

Thanks
David

·
Registered
2004 SRX V6 AWD
685 Posts
Having worked on auto trans for 25 yrs, I don't feel very positive toward the "flush" - in the trade they often call it a "wallet flush".

Except - - in the special case of a trans mechanical failure where you use the machine to purge the external circuit of debris.

Better to pull the pan, have a good look at what's inside, put in a new filter, and refill.

·
Registered
Cadillac
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree, not sold on the flush either.

I asked for a trans. service with filter change. They power flushed and and the receipt showed trans kit so I assume that was the filter. 1300 miles later the cooler lines began leaking but the SA says they don't connect to the lines ??
I thought they all used the lines to be able to flush or exchange the entire system.

I just had a friend "exchange" the fluid in my ML430, refused to change the filter saying not necassary "if anything is in the filter the trans is shot anyway" but 3K miles later the trans blew. I can't say that was the reason but the doubt I now have kills me.

It seems all dealers foreign and domestic are now pushing this exchange / flush service.

·
Registered
2004 SRX V6 AWD
685 Posts
In the service bay, the flush is a quick operation and a good money maker with little chance of causing secondary issues. That's why shops like it. And it's usually better than doing no maintenance at all.

Doing a drainout, pan removal, filter changeout, reinstallation, and refill takes a good bit more time and technician skill.

Also there's the occurrences of not getting the filter seal right or a leaking pan gasket afterwards. (although in your case it sounds like they created a leak anyway doing a flush, probably because the o-rings in the quick connect fittings had hardened up and weren't replaced.)

FWIW there are no service ports on the trans.
The only external apertures are cooler ports, oil check/fill port, pan drain, line pressure diagnostic tap, and breather.

·
Registered
Cadillac
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks,
I haven't gotten under it and dropped the plastic sheild yet to se if rubber hose jumpers are still there. They said they replaced the cooler and lines.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts