Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2013 cts-v coup
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2013 CTS V needed new tires so my wife took it to our local dealer. I choose the local dealer because I am very particular about my wheels and assumed that the dealer would have the proper equipment for the job and take the best care of me. Boy was I wrong. When she picked up the car she of course did a walk around. My back driver side wheel had a decent gouge in it. And as she continued her inspection she noticed each one of my wheels had a scratch going around the wheel. She also noticed a couple of scratches on the driver door and the front splitter that weren't there before. When she talked to the guy about it he said that they would order a new wheel for the back one that was gouged but paint the other three. These are powder coated wheels. I did not screw up the wheels so they can buy me 4 new wheels so they all match. My question is do I let them try and redeem themselves by putting the new wheels on or do I make them buy the wheels and take it some where else to get them put on? So disappointed with my local dealer. Now I am going to have to drive an hour away just to get a credible dealer to do work on my car.

·
Registered
2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)
4,537 Posts
I have been here. There are some things you cannot depend on a dealer to do to your V. Tire replacement is one of those. This is not some DTS with 60-series tires. I go to a place that does low profile tires like ours all day long as they are likelier to have the proper equipment to do the job correctly.

I don't think the dealer needs to replace all four wheels. Repainting the three scratched wheels is reasonable. Take it to a shop of your choosing and send the bill to the dealer. Don't do what I did, which was to let the dealer send the wheels to a shop of their choosing unless they are a reputable shop.

Feeling your pain because it happened to me. I didn't fire my dealer, though, they made things right for me ultimately and that is the REAL key to a dealer's worth.

·
Registered
cts-v
71 Posts
That sucks. Hopefully they don't just "touch up" the scratches.

A local firestone scratched my rims before when I needed a patch from a nail. They also shredded the tire when putting it back on... Bright side is they bought new tire and rim.

·
Registered
Cadillac
1,031 Posts
1st mistake was going to the dealer for tires. The dealer just repainted 1/2 my car, because they scratched it. However, tire shops are no better. I'm suing a local tire shop because they gouged my rim, and basically told me to go F-myself. So I filed a small claims case, and now it's public record.

·
Registered
cts-v
71 Posts
1st mistake was going to the dealer for tires. The dealer just repainted 1/2 my car, because they scratched it. However, tire shops are no better. I'm suing a local tire shop because they gouged my rim, and basically told me to go F-myself. So I filed a small claims case, and now it's public record.
So don't go to dealer for tires [and install?] or local shop. What do you do?

·
Registered
Cadillac
1,031 Posts
Hence the problem. No one gives a shit about other people's property. When it's time for my V to need tires, I will find a custom wheel shop that does European cars.

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,047 Posts
So don't go to dealer for tires [and install?] or local shop. What do you do?
Just like anything else, you ask around the local community and find out which shop(s) can be trusted. Weekend car hang outs (cars 'n' coffee or something like that), car guy that works at Autozone/NAPA/whatever (not the knucklehead just working a part time job, the real car guys), local car club internet forum, local car club FB page, etc.

When I get my R-compounds mounted on my track wheels, I just go to the cheap used tire place that's less than a mile from my house; I don't mind if those wheels get marked up a bit. But for my freshly refinished CCW summer wheels, I go to another shop that's 30min across town because I know the wheels will still be perfect when I pick them up. I found that place by asking on the local forum on the NASIOC (Subaru forum, since I also own a Subaru).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts