Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Escalade Premium AWD
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I bought my 2012 Escalade in February. It has a few chrome glue-on addons (mirrors, handles), and a few light strips (on the front doors, bottom of rear door).

I just dropped it off the Cadillac dealer for them to check on a few things under factory warranty (expires Jan 2016), an hour later the guy calls me saying the tech refuses to work on the car because of the accessories (he said 'the tech is a union worker and there's nothing he can do to help me').

And to think I was about to buy an extended warranty from GM, if that's the case, it ain't gonna happen.

What is other people's experience with those kinda things?

What are my alternatives/options?

I got work done at the dealership I bought it from (Buick/GMC dealership), but what if I move to another state...?

Can a Cadillac rep weigh in on this as well?

Thanks!

·
Registered
EXT
19 Posts
Definetly not right. Locally here the dealer will do any work no matter what mod (supercharger, headers, suspension) , sometimes they do charge more if the added mod adds additional work for them which is understandable.

·
Registered
2010 ESV Platinum WDT
189 Posts
Dealer needs to be given the middle finger. I'd go over the service managers head to see if those above know this is happening on the front lines. I'm willing to bet there is no clause in the techs bargaining agreement stating they can refute work on customized vehicles. I'm also willing to bet if you get past that service manager, you will find some traction.

Be sure to ask for a different tech as well. You don't want that schmuck touching your ride.

12,778 Posts
Good morning shpitz461,

Here is some official verbiage on GM’s stance regarding any aftermarket vehicle modifications:

“Non-GM vehicle modifications include, but are not limited to:

• Installation of non-GM accessories
• Installation of suspension lowering or lift kits
• Installation of aftermarket tires and/or wheels
• Installation of "power-up chip/chipping/performance chips" and/or non-GM control module calibrations

Note: The Service Manager may opt to repair the vehicle under the warranty in the interest of customer satisfaction, but is not required to do so

The New Vehicle Limited Warranty does NOT cover any damage or failure resulting from modification, alteration or suspected tampering, to the vehicle's original equipment as manufactured or assembled by General Motors.

Any changes to the GM Powertrain, Fuel, or Emission Systems that involve modifications, conversions, or the addition of non-GM approved products will void the GM Powertrain Limited. GM will not be responsible for costs associated with the repair of these vehicles due to failure of the aftermarket installed components or failures of related vehicle systems induced by these non-GM approved products.

Further more, if determined appropriate, the GM Field Representative can proceed with voiding certain portions of the vehicle’s warranty.”

With that in mind, it is largely up to the dealership on how to approach any mods/add-ons. If the technician has reason to believe that the add-ons maybe be contributing to the issue or effected by any repairs, they may shy away from working on the vehicle. My recommendation would be to stick with a dealership that is aware of the add-ons and isn’t squeamish about working with your vehicle. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to PM me.

Hope this information helps,

Austin J.
Cadillac Customer Care

·
Registered
08 Escalade ESV awd, 05 Yukon Xl Denali awd, 06 SRX sold
1,852 Posts
What kind of union allows its contract workers to turn down work, why have a union

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,710 Posts
Cadillac Cust Svc said:
Good morning shpitz461, Here is some official verbiage on GM’s stance regarding any aftermarket vehicle modifications: “Non-GM vehicle modifications include, but are not limited to: • Installation of non-GM accessories • Installation of suspension lowering or lift kits • Installation of aftermarket tires and/or wheels • Installation of "power-up chip/chipping/performance chips" and/or non-GM control module calibrations Note: The Service Manager may opt to repair the vehicle under the warranty in the interest of customer satisfaction, but is not required to do so The New Vehicle Limited Warranty does NOT cover any damage or failure resulting from modification, alteration or suspected tampering, to the vehicle's original equipment as manufactured or assembled by General Motors. Any changes to the GM Powertrain, Fuel, or Emission Systems that involve modifications, conversions, or the addition of non-GM approved products will void the GM Powertrain Limited. GM will not be responsible for costs associated with the repair of these vehicles due to failure of the aftermarket installed components or failures of related vehicle systems induced by these non-GM approved products. Further more, if determined appropriate, the GM Field Representative can proceed with voiding certain portions of the vehicle’s warranty.” With that in mind, it is largely up to the dealership on how to approach any mods/add-ons. If the technician has reason to believe that the add-ons maybe be contributing to the issue or effected by any repairs, they may shy away from working on the vehicle. My recommendation would be to stick with a dealership that is aware of the add-ons and isn’t squeamish about working with your vehicle. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to PM me. Hope this information helps, Austin J. Cadillac Customer Care
I think he only had stick ons.

·
Registered
All Escalade Premiums, '16 ESV, '13 ESV, '10 EXT
617 Posts
Good morning shpitz461,

Here is some official verbiage on GM’s stance regarding any aftermarket vehicle modifications:

“Non-GM vehicle modifications include, but are not limited to:

• Installation of non-GM accessories
• Installation of suspension lowering or lift kits
• Installation of aftermarket tires and/or wheels
• Installation of "power-up chip/chipping/performance chips" and/or non-GM control module calibrations

Note: The Service Manager may opt to repair the vehicle under the warranty in the interest of customer satisfaction, but is not required to do so

The New Vehicle Limited Warranty does NOT cover any damage or failure resulting from modification, alteration or suspected tampering, to the vehicle's original equipment as manufactured or assembled by General Motors.

Any changes to the GM Powertrain, Fuel, or Emission Systems that involve modifications, conversions, or the addition of non-GM approved products will void the GM Powertrain Limited. GM will not be responsible for costs associated with the repair of these vehicles due to failure of the aftermarket installed components or failures of related vehicle systems induced by these non-GM approved products.

Further more, if determined appropriate, the GM Field Representative can proceed with voiding certain portions of the vehicle’s warranty.”

With that in mind, it is largely up to the dealership on how to approach any mods/add-ons. If the technician has reason to believe that the add-ons maybe be contributing to the issue or effected by any repairs, they may shy away from working on the vehicle. My recommendation would be to stick with a dealership that is aware of the add-ons and isn’t squeamish about working with your vehicle. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to PM me.

Austin J.
Cadillac Customer Care
This wasn't helpful, did you read that the "modifications" he had were entirely cosmetic AND reversible? You should be offering to aid him in getting his vehicle he purchased from your company covered under warranty against an unethical dealer not quoting policy that is COMPLETELY irrelevant to his situation. If you guys were actually productive you would get on a cal with him and his service manager and resolve this.

·
Registered
2011 EXT Premium & 2006 STS4
212 Posts
Just a thought here.....the OP never really elaborated on what the issues were that resulted in him needing to take the vehicle to the dealer. I don't want to assume anything, but without all the facts we really don't know if the additional lighting isn't part of the problem. I'm sure no reputable dealer would be ridiculous enough to refuse work due to stick-ons. Don't get me wrong...I have had as many bad experiences with dealers, as I've had good ones. I can't take sides or make informed suggestions without complete details, and both sides of the story when possible. I hope the OP gets this sorted out with a different dealer.

·
Registered
2009 AWD Escalade Ultra Luxury Raven Black
1,800 Posts
Good point. He might have electrical issues? The stock battery is notorious for being replaced and the add on electronics is not going to help the situation.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry everyone for replying late, but I thought I had setup a notification when there are replies to the thread, I guess I haven't, and was wondering what's taking so long for people to respond... lol

But anyway, that's what the service rep told me @ the Cadillac dealership, what the technician told him and pointed out.

And to think I was about to drop $6k for an extended GM warranty, and they give me this run-around. I don't like it when people think I was born yesterday.

I complained about wind noise from the passenger side, you can clearly hear wind whirl inside the cabin when you sit in the passenger seat, I don't think that's caused my a glue-on on the mirror and handle. If that's the case, why is it OK on the driver side (which has the exact same glue-ons)?

I also definitely going to install a DVD/NAV bypass, I appreciate GM's concern, but that's unacceptable, poor passenger, being penalized for sitting in the front, that's ridiculous.

So if GM/Cadillac behaves like that, I have no choice but to do what needs to be done to the car, and i'll get my problems taken care of elsewhere.

The wife (who drives the car) loves the chrome 'touches', so I don't want to remove them just cause the union tech doesn't feels like working on the car...

I still have the factory warranty until January 2016.

DAS_7034.jpg DAS_7037.jpg DAS_7038.jpg DAS_7039.jpg DAS_7041.jpg DAS_7044.jpg DAS_7045.jpg DAS_7053.jpg

That switch you see in the cabin by the light control, I have no idea what it does. I thought it was used to operate the special lights near the license plate in the front, but it doesn't. Maybe it only supposed to work when the fogs are on, I need to check on that.
He also complained about the wind breaker on the roof by the sunroof.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good point. He might have electrical issues? The stock battery is notorious for being replaced and the add on electronics is not going to help the situation.
None what so ever, as far as I can tell. Everything works, and works well. It's just the low battery warning comes up pretty quick, and I don't think a few LED bars are the cause of it. Especially when all doors are closed and headlights are turned off, the car is completely dark except the radio. So if I want to enter a destination in the NAV, I need to run the engine to do so...

----------

Just a thought here.....the OP never really elaborated on what the issues were that resulted in him needing to take the vehicle to the dealer. I don't want to assume anything, but without all the facts we really don't know if the additional lighting isn't part of the problem. I'm sure no reputable dealer would be ridiculous enough to refuse work due to stick-ons. Don't get me wrong...I have had as many bad experiences with dealers, as I've had good ones. I can't take sides or make informed suggestions without complete details, and both sides of the story when possible. I hope the OP gets this sorted out with a different dealer.
These were my complaints:

* Wind noise (wind whirl) inside the cabin,
* Low-battery warning comes up within a few seconds after key is turned on (engine not running), in order to enter a destination in the NAV before driving.
* Remote #1 was not programmed, so when doors are unlocked, the seat wouldn't move to memory #1 position. The small LED bar under the door was blamed for that one.
* Bluetooth stopped working when placing/receiving calls after OnStar service was established (the phones with BT worked fine after we bought the car and before we activated OnStar).

·
Registered
2009 AWD Escalade Ultra Luxury Raven Black
1,800 Posts
One issue I see, is that added lighting on the bottom of the door. It looks like it's interfering with the bottom seal. That could be part of your problem and I can see why the dealer could potentially say that's part of your problem.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Austin J.
Cadillac Customer Care
Thanks Austin for your input.

I thought 5-year-olds squeamish, not adults and professionals that are supposed to help/take care of their customers.

If this is GM's attitude, this might as well be my last GM vehicle.

The dealer called me within an hour of me dropping the car for service. That tells me there was ZERO effort put in to even look at my concerns.

It's as if the tech just walked around the car, so a few lights that 'startled' him, panic'd, and told the service consultant he won't touch the car. If i was in charge, that tech would've been fired on the spot.

I never had any problem getting service at the GMC/Buick dealership I bought it from, but they are much farther away, so it's inconvenient for us, that's why I went to the cadillac dealership instead.

As I said, we're going to move out of state at some point, so always going back to where i bought it from is not a solution, and not feasible.

Thanks

·
Registered
2013 Platinum Escalade (crystal red), 2013 Platinum ESV
308 Posts
My hubby had a train horn installed on his 2013 Platinum ESV and the dealer has no problem working on warranty issues for him.

Time for you to take it to a different dealer.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, I'm going to try that, question is: did the 1st dealer put stuff in my 'file', so if I go to another dealer, they will see what 'happened' and do the same?

Also, I'm running out of Cadillac dealers in my area... :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts