Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The stupid dealer scratched my paint. Real deep, right down to the metal. It's at their body shop being painted. After all is said & done, can I sue them for diminished value ? The paint won't be original any more, but it won't show on car-fax. The truck is a few years old, but was in 100% perfect condition.

·
Registered
2010 Cadillac Escalade
41 Posts
Did they pay for the damage? And how did they damage the paint?

I'm not a lawyer but I think if you called any lawyer and told them the situation they would laugh or advise you not to sue... it will probably cost you more in lawyer fees anyways.

·
Registered
2018 XT5 Platinum, 2014 S550
1,653 Posts
Ouch! That sucks! Accidents do happen... You should have / and or use your own body shop. I have seen dealers have a guy painting a bumper in the back parking lot. That's there body shop some times. I would request a written warrantee, and inspect the repair thoroughly. If you are not satisfied, take it to your own body shop. There is no law stating you have to have it done by them. If you go to sell the car, more than likely, it will be spotted. It is never as good as original.

·
Registered
'16 VSport (wife's), '10 Escalade, '97 & '02 SS Camaro's, '15 Silverado LTZ
1,131 Posts
Typically once you allow them to repair their damage, your are accepting the settelement and I doubt you would have any further recourse. Usually a small repair is spotted or called burned in. Larger areas the panel is painted and blended into the adjacent panels. If burnt in they usaully dont last as long and this type of repair is usually done by a roving touch up/detailer that makes his rounds to the other dealers in the area and makes small repairs for them. I would ask them to give me written guarantee that the finish on the repair will last as long as the original finish in that particular area.

·
Registered
2010 Premium w/ ALL options + 2004 Pontiac GTO LS6 "Beast"
1,196 Posts
How is that diminished value? It has to be over a certain dollar amount, $1500 I think? for it to be listed against the VIN and show up on a carfax. It's no different then hitting a curb and bending a wheel. So long as you replace the wheel with another one, or even have that one repaired, then the truck is still considered 100%.

I would think twice about buying a truck that was sideswiped and repaired (and probably on carfax) then one that was scratched and fixed. The fact it was fixed and not left there tells me the owner cared enough about his vehicle to have it taken care of instead of leaving it.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I agree with dsminva, no diminished value. If it's fixed correctly only a professional and experienced body man would notice.

As far as CarFax report being correct it's 50/50 chance. I ran into the back of an F-250 years back in a '99 Yukon I had once and although the repair bill was approx. $8,500 years later the CarFax report only reported a minor accident with "cosmetic damage only". The frame had slight damage and had to be pulled back on a frame machine, the whole front end had to be replaced (radiator, evap & core support, grill, headlights, bumper and etc. as well as a fender.

·
Registered
Cadillac
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've been researching DV. It varies by state. You need a professional appraiser to appraise the repair, and original condition. Paint work is paint work, the vehicle lost value. Proving it is another story. That is the difficult part of the claim with out a negative carfax.

Me personally, I'd never buy a car that had paint work done, or any mods. I'm strictly an OEM car guy.

The vehicle is repaired. I can see the slight difference in color under certain sun light angles. Other lighting condition, it looks good. The body shop told me they can never match metallic paint 100%. It's impossible, and that's why they blend into adjacent panels.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I'll bet if they clay barred the whole truck, and did a 3 stage paint restoration that nobody would ever know unless you told them and they looked real hard for it.

·
Super Moderator
2010 Platinum Escalade, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham
6,455 Posts
There's probably a good chance no one will ever know anyway. Being the owner though, you'll always see it.

Post up some pics, before, damage and repair.

·
Registered
Cadillac
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No matter how you look at it, I'm still twisted about the whole thing. Once they damaged it, he said OK, bring it back, we'll try to buff it out. So I dropped it off, and the next thing I know, it's being painted. Which I found out afterwards. There probably isn't a better body shop around. He has the paint booth, all the equipment. It's just the nature of metallic paint, that is a few years old, and I know matching it is never going to be 100%.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
After reading your post in the good/bad dealers section, i'm confused... did *your* truck get scratched, or a potential purchase? In that thread you said you didn't buy it. If 2 different trucks got scratched then your just one unlucky SOB haha

·
Registered
Cadillac
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After reading your post in the good/bad dealers section, i'm confused... did *your* truck get scratched, or a potential purchase? In that thread you said you didn't buy it. If 2 different trucks got scratched then your just one unlucky SOB haha
2 completely different vehicles.

and 2 months ago, a tire shop gouged my CTS wheel with only 2000 miles on it. I was unlucky enough to get a little nail right through the tread in a full depth tire. The carelessness of mechanics is just too broad. No one cares about anything, or what they do.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Have you ever noticed what mechanics drive? Typically beaters. Probably why they don't care. I try to do all my own work, unfortunately paint and tire mounting/balancing are 2 things I don't have the tools to do :(

·
Registered
08 Escalade ESV awd, 05 Yukon Xl Denali awd, 06 SRX sold
1,852 Posts
dsminva said:
Have you ever noticed what mechanics drive? Typically beaters. Probably why they don't care. I try to do all my own work, unfortunately paint and tire mounting/balancing are 2 things I don't have the tools to do :(
well I'm a mechanic and cant speak for all of us but i drive a 93 accord "beater" 50 miles one way to work but have an escalade and a denali at home... So my point is you never know what someone has at home...

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
It's not always that they don't care. Some mechanics drive "beaters" because they don't have time to work on their own rides. They get paid to fix everyone else's vehicles and have little time to work on their own.

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,710 Posts
wesyder said:
well I'm a mechanic and cant speak for all of us but i drive a 93 accord "beater" 50 miles one way to work but have an escalade and a denali at home... So my point is you never know what someone has at home...
I'm scared to drive my 2003 Honda Pilot nowadays if the impression is this way. I have a new escalade, a new Range Rover and a mercedes benz too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts