Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I took my 2007 escalade with 153,000 miles on it to my local cadillac dealer,to have the oil pan gasket replaced,and he had to drop the front axle to complete the pan gasket replacement.the mechanic broke the casting on the front axle i now have 3 bolts holding the axle to the frame instead of 4 bolts.He says it will be alright with 3 bolts,should i demand the axle be replaced?thankshttps://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1sZ6mEFLePQb0lubzBCMEFuMWNuckplTjF6eXZTeG1sRHMw/view

·
Registered
08 Escalade ESV awd, 05 Yukon Xl Denali awd, 06 SRX sold
1,852 Posts
It will probably be fine but it wasn't broke when you took it in so id definitely demand repair

·
Registered
'16 VSport (wife's), '10 Escalade, '97 & '02 SS Camaro's, '15 Silverado LTZ
1,131 Posts
Most certainly make them replace it. If the GM designers thought 3 was sufficient that's all it would have came with. Think how much could be saved by reducing the one bolt and the additional casting flange on the housing on several hundred thousand vehicles.

·
Registered
2008 Escalade
311 Posts
Agree with wesyder, you should absolutely get it repaired or replaced. It's in worse shape than when you gave it to them, even if it's still functional.

·
Registered
2007 Escalade ESV
364 Posts
This is an actual GM Cadillac dealership? If so, I cannot believe they are even telling you it will "be ok" That's not how a real dealership operates. I know that GM has peeps monitor this board and when they see this they should jump in and help you take this to the right conclusion. If they had cracked your windshield would they say, "you can still see out of it" No, they would replace it. They have insurance for things like this anyway. Shame on them for even suggesting it should leave the dealership without being replaced. Laughable.

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
I am sure it will be fine, have seen this throughout the years, HOWEVER if it was my truck I would want it repaired or replaced

·
Registered
Cadillac
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dealer said $1400.00 to replace it with labor,i very nicely said i would pay 0.00 said he would have his boss call me,vehicle still at dealer.

·
Registered
All Escalade Premiums, '16 ESV, '13 ESV, '10 EXT
617 Posts
$1400!!! These guys are clowns. That's about a $100 (let's give them $200 for dealer markup) part and it would take some serious BALLS to charge you a dime of labor, let alone $1200 for a something a reasonably good home mechanic could knock out in a few hours if that. You really should disclose the name of the dealership in this thread as a warning to other members to never take their truck there. Strike one was asking you to be okay with them breaking one of your parts, especially something on an axle belonging to a near 6000lb vehicle that is a SAFETY issue. Strike two was even suggesting that you would pay for the repair, and strike three was them clearly GOUGING you on the replacement price. Don't pay a dime, and if they refuse to cover it a court will make them. These guys deserve to be put on blast.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
zrt800 said:
Dealer said $1400.00 to replace it with labor,i very nicely said i would pay 0.00 said he would have his boss call me,vehicle still at dealer.
lets get the ball rolling contact the regional or district manager on put him on standby for the dealer answer... Dam stealership

·
Registered
2005 STS
33 Posts
You shouldn't have to wait for anybody's "Boss" to call you back. As others have said if this is an actual Cadillac dealership and they did in fact damage the axle while doing other repair work, it gets replaced free of charge. You need to go there and confront the service manager in person, if that fails ask to speak to the general manager or owner. Give them one chance to respond and repair your truck then pursue legal means. Even though the folks from Cadillac monitor this forum you don't want to wait who knows how long for them to "help" you get this resolved to your satisfaction.

·
Registered
2012 Escalade
511 Posts
Even if it was Chicken Louie and Buds Auto Repair they should pay to fix it. They broke it! If they don't, pay them and bring an axe into their showroom and put it through a door on one of the cars... that should be fair enough in my books.

·
Registered
Cadillac
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This vehicle has 153,000 on it,and it was driven in michigan winters,the cadillac dealer that broke my front axle,said that the part was rusted due to salt on the roads thats why the part broke,i disagree only surface rust on this vehicle,this dealer is in florida, he offered to replace the axle now for approx $600.00 the part that broke is part of the axle casting.whata think

·
Registered
617 Posts
The repair is too damn high! I really would stick to your guns on this one, they're treating you wrong on every level. FYI, that's a $65 part- http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/WC/127828-01141239.html?utm_content=YN&utm_term=2007-2011+Cadillac+Escalade+ESV+Axle+Assembly+First+Equipment+Quality+Front+07-11+Cadillac+Axle+Assembly+2008+2009&utm_source=google&utm_medium=ff&utm_campaign=PartsGeek+Google+Base&gclid=Cj0KEQiA9eamBRDqvIz_qPbVteABEiQAnIBTENxWX90tCy4jXo1eor_xDIJcVFhMVM2pgRksUUMtKm4aAncM8P8HAQ

For sure, you absolutely should not have to pay them any labor. If they decide to be a-holes about this and fight you on it, insist they match the $65 for the part and pay no labor. Anything over that keep up the fight.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I believe the front diff housing is what they damaged, not the axle shaft

·
Registered
2010 Premium w/ ALL options + 2004 Pontiac GTO LS6 "Beast"
1,196 Posts
Front diff is made of either aluminum or pot metal. It should not rust. Take and post a few pictures of what is actually broken. We are all kind of going off assumptions right now. If it's a steel part that rusted out, I can kind of see what they are saying, but if its pot metal or aluminum, then they just flat out broke it and are thinking you are ignorant.
I would trust 3 out of 4 screws to hold my radio in, but not something that actually moved the vehicle and is subjected to direct torque from the engine output.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I guess I'm not sure now what they're referring to...

The axle mounts to the diff by 6 bolts not 4- it's the 2 discs, one that's closer to the diff itself, and the other that's on the end of that shaft. For SURE if that disc cracked your axles are no longer stable and that needs to be replaced. But I'm not understanding why they told you 4 bolts when it's 6. Something still doesn't smell right here. Those mounts look like they're made of iron, but I could be wrong. Even still the iron used in modern cars is not going to rust structurally.

·
Registered
Cadillac
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
The broken casting is on the differential it requires 4 bolts, the casting around the bolt hole is broke, it shattered when they removed the bolt,i think is a bad casting, cadillac should replace it but they won't,already talked to them,they call it corrosion the bolt was bonded to the casting they said.I think the dealer is ok,its gm that won't approve the replacement.I guess it time to move on need my truck the dealer wants $530.00 to remove and change the housing that is broken. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1sZ6mEFLePQb0lubzBCMEFuMWNuckplTjF6eXZTeG1sRHMw/view

1 - 20 of 26 Posts