Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2015i Escalade Premium
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have now joined the "dead onstar" crowd.....took it to the dealer today....they have ordered the new Onstar module. However, as others have noted here and on other forums...it may NOT be the module, but rather the antenna.... the service guys acknowledged that they have had both module and antenna failures ...SO, I was hoping they would be proactive and order BOTH parts so that the fix could be done in one visit....Unfortunately,warranty procedures require them to do the suggested module replacement first and if that doesn't cure the problem, THEN they can order the antenna. If you have had the issue, chime in with what the fix was and how long did you have to wait??

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
They already replaced my antenna, but it was the XM antenna, but I believe they are integrated and the single antenna functions for XM and OnStar. Mine went out early on too! They had to paint the antenna to match the body as well, so more of a delay! Good old GM build quality. I am used to it!

·
Registered
None
406 Posts
Please educate me...can one still drive while Onstar is dead? I hope you don't have to put the truck into the shop just to wait for replacement parts to come in.

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Yes, you can drive without OnStar with no problems, it just won't work. The NAV unit may be dead as well. My advice is get the car in to the dealer and get your truck back while they are waiting for parts to arrive and be painted. That's what I did.

·
Registered
2015i Escalade Premium
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Please educate me...can one still drive while Onstar is dead? I hope you don't have to put the truck into the shop just to wait for replacement parts to come in.
Driving is fine....just no nav and no ability to connect with Onstar. That being said....I have an iPhone and can use that for nav if I need to and to call for roadside assistance if need be. So....i have the truck until the part arrives.

·
Registered
97 Eldo ETC,98 STS,04 SRX N*,06 STS N*,14 CTS VSport Premium, 17 CTS Vsport Prem Lux
1,101 Posts
Hopefully the free trial period gets extended.

·
Registered
2016 Escalade, 2015 SRX, 2017 XT5
100 Posts
My Onstar, GPS, and compass is out. The dealer has been trying to get a replacement Onstar module, but GM won't even tell him an expected delivery date!

Onstar calling I can live without as long as I have my cell phone. GPS I can live without as long as I have my cell phone. The lack of an Onstar automatic crash reporting is something that I literally may not be able to live without...

By the way, I DID enjoy, however, the GPS telling me I was at the bottom of Long Island Sound the other day...

·
Registered
100 Posts
A replacement Onstar module finally arrived at my dealer yesterday, and it was installed today. Despite the diagnostic codes saying the original module was bad, it turns out the problem was the antenna after all. Luckily the dealer had a black antenna in stock, and I am once again a "happy camper". Interestingly, without my asking, ALL of my hands-free calling minutes got their 1-year expiration date extended from today's date.

·
Registered
2015i Escalade Premium
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A replacement Onstar module finally arrived at my dealer yesterday, and it was installed today. Despite the diagnostic codes saying the original module was bad, it turns out the problem was the antenna after all. Luckily the dealer had a black antenna in stock, and I am once again a "happy camper". Interestingly, without my asking, ALL of my hands-free calling minutes got their 1-year expiration date extended from today's date.

Good news indeed!! My module gets replaced on Thursday ....but it would not surprise me if the result is the same as yours.....I wish they had ordered the antenna as well, but I guess their process requires them to follow a specific routine on diagnosis and part order with regard to warranty work. I've been told byOnStar that I will be "extended" from the reactivation date.......enjoy "knowing you are not at the bottom of LI Sound anymore!":)

·
Registered
2015 Escalade
22 Posts
It rained hard today in my home town and when I went to get in my "truck" in the parking lot at work I noticed the GPS signal was crossed out. Now my Onstar and navigation are dead. This is the second time this has happened. The first time they replaced both the Onstar module and the antenna and it has worked until today. Somehow water is getting under the antenna and messing everything up. This was a hard rain as it was the first time it quit. Very frustrating. I will take it to dealer on Monday and see what they want to do. I was a Porsche and Mercedes guy before this and I might have to go back. This is very disheartening.

·
Registered
2015i Escalade Premium
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It rained hard today in my home town and when I went to get in my "truck" in the parking lot at work I noticed the GPS signal was crossed out. Now my Onstar and navigation are dead. This is the second time this has happened. The first time they replaced both the Onstar module and the antenna and it has worked until today. Somehow water is getting under the antenna and messing everything up. This was a hard rain as it was the first time it quit. Very frustrating. I will take it to dealer on Monday and see what they want to do. I was a Porsche and Mercedes guy before this and I might have to go back. This is very disheartening.

One...not good for you for sure! Two.....not good for any of us awaiting repair! Keep us posted....

·
Registered
2015 Escalade
22 Posts
I spoke with the service manager at my local dealership this morning. He is in my Sunday school class. Before I could say a word he said "your navigation is out". I told him yes and it was getting a little bit annoying. He said it is happening on Yukons as well. He said there is a circuit board right under the antenna and rain and/or moisture is getting under the seal of the antenna and shorting out the circuit board. In jest he said I could drive it only on sunny days. He is going to order an antenna tomorrow morning first thing and get it corrected as soon as he can. I have 3,800 miles on my truck and this is the second time for this to happen. He said any time you get a hard rain, wash the vehicle and spray water at the antenna, etc. the board is going to short circuit. I am thinking about going back to Porsche or MB. Has GM reps had any comment on this? Thanks.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Mine is in Connecticut, and it hasn't rained for months (too cold). In addition, mine is garaged both at work and at home. That didn't stop mine from dying.

·
Registered
2015 Escalade
22 Posts
Well, I am driving home from work this afternoon and suddenly without warning, my navigation system, compass and OnStar magically began to work. I am going to tell my dealer to keep my antenna in stock (when it gets here) because I feel sure it will "go out" again and I know they are hard to come by. I don't know if the circuit board dried out or if the "gremlin" in the system took a break. I am very particular regarding my vehicles as when I pay for something I want it to work so I am happy it decided to work again. Just thought I would bring everyone up to date.

·
Registered
2015 Escalade
388 Posts
Mine went out twice too, not sure what they are going to do different this time but they better fix it cuz this is ridiculous, everyone is waiting on back ordered onstar modules and antennaes for months

·
Registered
cts v sport
55 Posts
As I have previously posted, I was seriously considering trading my AWD 2013 Denali for a 2015 Escalade, but this forum has convinced me to hold off for at least a year or more. This is my second Denali, and both have been trouble free. I see no viable excuse for GM to release vehicles with known/likely defects such as described herein. Just my humble opinion.

·
Registered
2015 ESCALADE ESV 2015 CTS 2018 XT5. 2018 CT6
418 Posts
Why would you think GM is happy about a supplier giving them faulty parts. I'm sure they are on it. Even if GM 100% tested the part prior to install, they were working and failed later on.

·
Registered
2015 Escalade
22 Posts
Navigation and OnStar out again! It is snowing here in north Mississippi so I guess that got it! Oh well, what ya gonna do!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts