Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac DeVille
Joined
·
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got it back from the dealer today and it was all fixed.

The problem was the downstream O2 sensor had fouled the spark plug on cylinder 2 (at the back, farthest to the left). Now of course, the home mechanic can't get at the downstream sensor and so they had to replace it.

Essentially it rendered cylinder 2 inoperative and caused it to run rich, hence the misfire.
 

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
Joined
·
7,658 Posts
Congrats you got her going!!! Hopefully it didnt hurt your pocket too bad!!!
 

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac DeVille
Joined
·
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
elwesso said:
Congrats you got her going!!! Hopefully it didnt hurt your pocket too bad!!!
O2 Sensor - $89
New Plug - $10
Labour - $214

Total = $313

Plus I had more work done the same day:

New window mouldings on pass side - $147
Lube, oil, filter, chassis lube - $40
Labour - $140

Total = $327
 

·
Registered
01 frontier , 89 Shelby CSX vnt
Joined
·
14,607 Posts
"The problem was the downstream O2 sensor had fouled the spark plug on cylinder 2 (at the back, farthest to the left). Now of course, the home mechanic can't get at the downstream sensor and so they had to replace it."

i think they lied to you , i replaced boath of my sensors , at home in the driveway with a florrjack , jackstand and the wrench (13/16 i belive), then turned around and changed all the plugs ...i never do the plugs again tho , god that was a awful job
 

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac DeVille
Joined
·
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stoneage_Caddy said:
"The problem was the downstream O2 sensor had fouled the spark plug on cylinder 2 (at the back, farthest to the left). Now of course, the home mechanic can't get at the downstream sensor and so they had to replace it."

i think they lied to you , i replaced boath of my sensors , at home in the driveway with a florrjack , jackstand and the wrench (13/16 i belive), then turned around and changed all the plugs ...i never do the plugs again tho , god that was a awful job
I'm surprised you found them that difficult! Sure it was hard, but in the end, and after coming close to rupturing some A/C lines, I was VERY proud with my job! New wires, cap, rotor, and NGK G-Power plugs made that thing fly! Nothing pleases me more with that car then knowing that my plug job went flawlessly (under normal circumstances).
 

·
Registered
01 frontier , 89 Shelby CSX vnt
Joined
·
14,607 Posts
alot of the difficulty was on my part to be honest , it was tight on that rear bank but i have a ruptured disc in my back so screwing around on that rear bank,leaned over the front of the car did a number on me , it still makes my top 10 of worst plug change access , could be worse tho, could be a late 60s 427 stang , according to ford the engine HAS to be pulled to change the plugs and back then there was no platnum plugs or and kind of 100,000 mile tuneup intervals
 

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac DeVille
Joined
·
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Stoneage_Caddy said:
alot of the difficulty was on my part to be honest , it was tight on that rear bank but i have a ruptured disc in my back so screwing around on that rear bank,leaned over the front of the car did a number on me , it still makes my top 10 of worst plug change access , could be worse tho, could be a late 60s 427 stang , according to ford the engine HAS to be pulled to change the plugs and back then there was no platnum plugs or and kind of 100,000 mile tuneup intervals
lol poor stoneage! :D

Hmmmm....title....do you get seasick in your caddy? I do. LOL bounce! I frequently bounce the car when I come to a stop. Its funny! We got chicks that way! Me and a buddy of mine were driving along, coming up to a light. We were playing 'Cadillac Pimpin' by Youngbloodz and so I decide to hit the brake intermittently to make the car appear as if it has hydraulics. So these chicks next to us are laughing at out patheticism and we basically changed course and followed them to their house. lol it was fun.

For the rest of yous me and stoneage are officially brothers. Both 1994's, both 4.9's!
 

·
Registered
01 frontier , 89 Shelby CSX vnt
Joined
·
14,607 Posts
sure do get sea sick , there a section of i275 that has some very nasty fast elevation changes and the damn thing begins to feel like something from the movie "perfect storm "

its also why i call it the "nimitz" editon (named for the navy class ship) , tho her offical name is gladdis as in the singing overweight diva from the late 60s , approprate for a car with many diva like qualitys ,mostly the ammount of attention it reqiures to do its job

yah i guess we are just about the only 2 94 devilles with 4.9 power and i bet boath of us are over 100,000 miles , of coarse you may be measureing in kms

matter of fact she turned over to 114000 today , and did it ping free!!!!
 

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac DeVille
Joined
·
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Stoneage_Caddy said:
sure do get sea sick , there a section of i275 that has some very nasty fast elevation changes and the damn thing begins to feel like something from the movie "perfect storm "

its also why i call it the "nimitz" editon (named for the navy class ship) , tho her offical name is gladdis as in the singing overweight diva from the late 60s , approprate for a car with many diva like qualitys ,mostly the ammount of attention it reqiures to do its job

yah i guess we are just about the only 2 94 devilles with 4.9 power and i bet boath of us are over 100,000 miles , of coarse you may be measureing in kms

matter of fact she turned over to 114000 today , and did it ping free!!!!
Not bad. 114,000 and still going strong!

Mine has 106,000kms - thats 67,000mi

I've got a ways to go yet!
 

·
Registered
01 frontier , 89 Shelby CSX vnt
Joined
·
14,607 Posts
yah looks like you got a ton of life in yours , i think we will be ok as long as our trannys hold up , i think the motors gonna outlive everything on the car , its the damned tranny i wonder about
 

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
Joined
·
7,658 Posts
For extra tranny life, add an external cooler.......

Heat is the the no 1 thing that kills trannies..... Closely followed by ill-maintenance.......
 

·
Registered
01 frontier , 89 Shelby CSX vnt
Joined
·
14,607 Posts
espiccaly true in the Q45

i might check mine tomrrow , i know theres a oil cooler out there but im unsure if theres a trans cooler , if not i got my eye on a real neat one that has a electric fan on it
 

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
Joined
·
7,658 Posts
Im sure it comes stock with a heat exchanger (hoses hooked up to the radiator)......
 

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
Joined
·
7,658 Posts
In the winter, they actaully help (they let the tranny heat up faster)...... But in the hot summer, they do more harm than good......

If you want to heat up the tranny really good before you go out, put it in gear and apply the brake for about 25 seconds..... That is when the most heat is created, in gear and stopped....... I always put my car in neutral when im at a stoplight for a while.....
 

·
Registered
87 Deville
Joined
·
630 Posts
2dfx said:
Got it back from the dealer today and it was all fixed.

The problem was the downstream O2 sensor had fouled the spark plug on cylinder 2 (at the back, farthest to the left). Now of course, the home mechanic can't get at the downstream sensor and so they had to replace it.

Essentially it rendered cylinder 2 inoperative and caused it to run rich, hence the misfire.
Cool well that answers my question in a previous post 2dfx Glad to hear you got her running good again, i figured it was somthing simple> funny cause after you had problems my engine started missing real bad, come to find out it just needed new plugs > i didn't have a bit of trouble installing them though, I just let my mechanic climb on top of my engine and change them while i installed his new dash speakers in his Camaro! We trade out Mechanical labor for stereo equipment > works for me :D
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top