Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2005 CTS C/T Hi feature
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
08 cts di awd yesterday I got in my car after work and it said battery saver activated... drove home everything was good... went to drive to work at 3pm and battery was dead. I had to use the key to get in. When I opened through door nothing came on and the keyless nob thing would turn. Does that sound like a battery issue or alternator... will be going to get battery and alternator checked tomorrow. I also plan on putting it on a charger overnight

·
Registered
2005 CTS C/T Hi feature
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm guessing will look through the service records just got it 2 days ago with 59k on it.

·
Registered
2012 CTS AWD 3.0, 2013 C6 GS
6 Posts
Replace battery, as it is probably toast. The auto stores (autozone, advance, etc) can load test it and tell you if it is bad, then can also check the alternator. Typically free of charge.

Then check the battery voltage with a voltmeter. (harbor freight has cheap under $10) Check it with the car off and the with the car running. Off it should be 12-13.5 volts and running 13.5 -14.5 volts. (approximately). If they are the same then alternator isn't working.

·
Registered
2005 CTS C/T Hi feature
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got it all checked today they said it was all good probably a fluke? Gave it a jump last night and it started drove it around for an hour then woke up around 9 and ir started should I let it sit for the day then check it tomorrow

·
Registered
SOLD - 2010 CTS4 Premium Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere Interior
2,930 Posts
Got it all checked today they said it was all good probably a fluke? Gave it a jump last night and it started drove it around for an hour then woke up around 9 and ir started should I let it sit for the day then check it tomorrow
If it were my car, giving that the battery is now 7+ years old (you said it was the OE battery), I would change it out now. Do the change by your schedule, not when you're rushed to find a replacement battery. Just make sure you get a SEALED battery that has a spout to attach the external vent tube to exit gases from the trunk. There are many good replacements available so you can shop quality/price/convenience while your car is still running. The AC Delco battery is a good choice. Others are made by Johnson Controls, who I worked for (26 years) and they make quality batteries that you can find at Autozone, O'Reileys, Advance and Walmart. Don't pay extra for an AGM battery, these cars don't need them.

There are many reasons for false no-starts, including a broken inter cell weld in your battery. That is a dangerous condition. Change the battery while you can.

Marv

·
Registered
2005 CTS C/T Hi feature
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Marv it literally mocks everything that happened when my 05 cts needed a new battery... I still believe it is the battery

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,158 Posts
Listen to your elders (Ha!). Marv knows his, ummm, stuff.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts