Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2010 V Sedan 2015 Denali
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all.

I was washing my wife's car this morning, and had the stereo in my V cranking. Took about an hour or so, and my V tunes shut off. I assumed it was just inactivity, but when I went to move my car, the battery was dead.

Granted, the battery, I believe, is about 4 years old, maybe closer to 5, so my guess is I just need to replace it. But, has this happened to anyone else? Only an hour of stereo time, kills the battery?

Thoughts are appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2009 CTS-V Black/Black, manual
1,371 Posts
^^^ - FWIW I'm still on the original battery in my 2009 V. It seems as strong as ever, but I do keep it on a tender during times when it's not being used/driven for longer periods of time, like during bad weather, etc.
If I were you I'd try to re-charge the battery at least once to see if it will still hold a charge, and if not, new battery time ...

·
Registered
2012 CTS-V CRM Coupe (Airaid Intake & Corsa), 2011 Z06/Z07
285 Posts
Yes, a 4 or 5 year old battery will start to get stressed with an hour or so of load like that. I also keep mine on a Tender hoping to extend its life as long as possible.

·
Registered
2010 CTS-V 6MN Thunder Gray; 07 SRX AWD N*;
1,219 Posts
I've had a "low battery" warning show up in DIC when loading up the hard drive from CDs. 30-45 minutes of this would trigger the warning and i'd just start the car to recharge it.

That being said, my experience over the years with GM batteries is that they are good for a max of 5 years (give or take a bit) driving all year round in the southern Ontario climate. So as a preventative measure, I put a new battery in my 2010 sedan before the onset of last winter in order to avoid getting stranded unexpectedly. The dealer did whatever reprogramming is necessary when a new battery is installed... I just like the idea of putting in a new battery when it's convenient for me and not waiting until it dies some winter night when I'm out and it's 20 below.

Best regards,

Elie

·
Registered
Had 2009 V, Red/Blk 2016 Now
4,186 Posts
Mine did that also, but after a recharge, it was fine for years. Mine finally went bad yesterday, but after 5 3/4 years. It will no longer hold a charge.

·
Registered
Had 2009 V, Red/Blk 2016 Now
4,186 Posts
Farm & Fleet Platinum, $90, 3-year free replacement, 8? year prorated, and 730 CCA vs 700 CCA. Group 48.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,830 Posts
My car did that once, too, when I was waxing it. Now I just use my phone and Pandora.

·
Premium Member
2009 CTS-V Black/Black, manual
1,371 Posts
Farm & Fleet Platinum, $90, 3-year free replacement, 8? year prorated, and 730 CCA vs 700 CCA. Group 48.
Thanks! No doubt I'll nosing around for a new battery in the near future. The OEM battery has served me well, so I may pick a new one of them up when the time comes ...

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Never had an issue with the V battery but never really used it a lot with the engine off. My 2009 suburban, though, with a towing package and a heavy duty battery, will need a jump or charge after relatively short periods of usage of lights with the engine off. I have gotten "surprised" about 3 times (once with OEM battery, and twice with a replacement).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts