Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girlfriend didn't drive her '08 CTS for a month and when she tried to get in the car,everything was dead including keyless entry.
I have a charger connected to the battery and will try to start it tomorrow.I'm familiar with the throttle reset but wonder what other functions will be lost and have to be reset.Can someone more conversant with the electrical system give me any advice?Thanks much

·
Registered
2008 CTS
342 Posts
I can't give advice but can share a similar experience. My '08 doesn't have keyless entry or remote start (manual trans) but this past winter it died on me 4 times and I needed a jump start. I live only 1 mile from work and it was often 40 below zero so even though it was plugged in to stay warm I wondered if the draw on the battery to start, moved and heat seats, move mirrors, crank my stero, etc etc. was more than the alternator could put back in a 1 mile trip twice a day.

When it died I usually didn't lose anything. Seats, radio settings, etc all were saved except one time when I had to rest my seats.

After the fourth time I took it to the dealer they said the battery was bad and they replaced it. Everythings worked good since then, but it hasn't been 40below for days on end since either. I guess we'll see what happens next winter.

In the meantime, good luck with your charge and hopefully you won't have to reset anything. If it happens twice take it back and have the battery checked.

·
Registered
2012 Cadillac CTS4 Coupe V6 DI Performance Collection
182 Posts
My girlfriend didn't drive her '08 CTS for a month and when she tried to get in the car,everything was dead including keyless entry.
You may have a bad battery. Mine died after not being driven for one week. The other point is that if you look at dealer car lot's there is an awful lot of iron setting around for more than a month without starting up. Their batteries don't go bad.

·
Registered
CTS V6 RWD
8 Posts
Mi 2008 CTS also had a dead battery after being parked at work for a day. Once jump started, it said "check battery charging circuit", or something equivalent. Took it to the dealer, who replaced the battery, and said nothing wrong with electrical system. He said there had been a bad batch of batteries. Hard to believe, but true.

·
Registered
2008 DTS LUX III - Gold Mist traded for 2004 Tbird
1,511 Posts
I lost battery also on my CTS. Probably within the first couple of months. Guy had to put a BIG honking battery on the terminals under the hood so he could get the trunk open. ;) They put a new AC Delco in. Everything alright after that.

·
Registered
2014 SRX Premium w/20" chrome
481 Posts
Short cycling a battery will suck the life out of it. All to often folks will not give the battery ample time to completely charge. The car is started, (a lot of amperage required) accessories used, lights ON, A/C, etc. and only driven a short distance. Do this to often (short cycle) and it will eventually kill the battery.

Most of todays car's are really energy hog's. It takes ample driving time to obtain a Full charge. It's a good idea to invest in a battery maintainer. Use it when the car is gonna sit for a period of time. Make sure it's a smart charger, one that will go to Float charge once the battery is fully charged to prevent over charging. I use mine often, even if I did drive a good distance.

·
Registered
2009 CTS DI AWD
56 Posts
I think GMFAN hit it on the head,

It only takes me 4 minutes to drive to work. After about a month the battery got sluggish. Then I had to get a boost a few day later. I guess 3 solutions exist:

1) Get a "floating" charger.
2) Drive the longer way home.
3) Stop being lazy and walk to work :rolleyes:

Take care.

·
Registered
NONE
1,423 Posts
When I was looking at new CTS back in Jan, one dealer had 3 in storage bldgs because of they need room to push snow. 2 of them were only in inventory for less then 3 weeks and none of them would start, all were dead. Its normal with these new vehicles, they had 4 jump start battery pac's on chargers so it was a common occurrence.

With all the advances in electronics the batteries don't seem to be keeping up. Its a big problem, I have heard of them having to jump start cars to get them off the delivery trucks!

·
Registered
2014 SRX Premium w/20" chrome
481 Posts
When I was looking at new CTS back in Jan, one dealer had 3 in storage bldgs because of they need room to push snow. 2 of them were only in inventory for less then 3 weeks and none of them would start, all were dead. Its normal with these new vehicles, they had 4 jump start battery pac's on chargers so it was a common occurrence.

With all the advances in electronics the batteries don't seem to be keeping up. Its a big problem, I have heard of them having to jump start cars to get them off the delivery trucks!

And that's were the problem begins. The car is started, after manufacturing, and driven off the assembly line to a storage lot. Never started again until it's ready to be loaded on the truck. Engine again, only running for a few minutes. Car is started again to be unloaded. It is then probably started again a dozen time's at the dealership, and never given a chance to fully charge the battery. All these starts and never driven will kill the battery. Once a battery is deeply discharged it will never hold a full charge. It may read 13 VDC, but when put under a load it fails.

I believe a dealer should immediately put the car under a slow (trickle) charge, until fully charged, when they take delivery of the car. If not, the owner takes delivery and almost immediately has battery problems.

·
Registered
Cadillac
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Re: Dead Battery-Followup

The battery wouldn't take a charge.GM roadside came and jump started the car after which it was driven for forty five minutes.The next morning,I turned the switch to the "on" position for three minutes to reset the throttle after which an attempt at restart yielded only a click.
Ten minutes later,I was able to restart the car(just barely) and noticed that the engine warning light remained on and the front windows didn't respond to one touch close.

We contacted ONStar and they did a remote check and found that indeed the throttle body had not reset and recommended towing to the dealer.The agency replaced the battery and hopefully will have reset the appropriate functions before we pick it up today.

Sounds as though CTS does not have high quality batteries.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts