Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1973 Eldo Convert -1990 Deville - 1993 SLS
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1990 Deville
Smelt some burning coming home the other night. When I turned the car off The High beams stayed on. I had to unplug them. The high beam dash indicator stays on reguardless off high beam switch postion. All other lights work fine includeing regular headlights. They still come on auto... at night.

Is there a part that manages the Daytime Running Lights/High Beam that could have burnt (fused on). And where would it be. I looked for blown fuses and checked that relay panel near the glove box.... I'm stummped.
:hmm:
on another note I have never been able to dim the green led displays, but that could be something totaly diff.... Thanks in advance for any info. or advice. I am still able to use the car, just limit my highway riding...

great forum I have been reading the seville lists for awhile as I just picked up a 93 ( yes half burnt out 3rd light led's) High mileage, but runs good. Saftied 2 days ago. Nice ride, just got a low speed front steering clunk to work out, took off both wheels and found nothing... it just got new front wheels bearings for saftey, so I though may be they forgot to hook something back up. Didn't notice any thing. That will be a job for the weekend

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
Does the car have OEM installed DRL's? (Canada car?)

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
when DRL's normally on, are they the highbeams or low? I would assume the high beam indicator does NOT turn on when DRL's are on, correct?

Sorry, as we don't have the DRL's std in that body style in the states, just need to get some background...

cap said:
yes canadian car with dlr OEM

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DLR's are the High Beams, I remember reading along time ago that the high beam is cycled on and off real quick to give a lower light output ( brochure), Something like that. So there must be a device in the canadian cars to manage it. Just not sure where to go looking for it. I could be totally wrong though. That is why I was inquireing. I didn't know they were not in the american cars. They were not in cdn cars till sometime around 1990 i guess

thanks for the replys

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,179 Posts
DLR is infact high beam at 1/2 the regular output. Not sure how that is accomplished but I would doubt they are rapidly switched on and off. I suspect reduced voltage.

·
Registered
'98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)
4,854 Posts
Ranger said:
DLR is infact high beam at 1/2 the regular output. Not sure how that is accomplished but I would doubt they are rapidly switched on and off. I suspect reduced voltage.
I have no idea about earlier models, but fast forward to 1998 and Seville DRL operation is as simple as using a relay to connect the high beam bulbs in series and applying battery / alternator voltage. This relay switching effectively reduces the electrical power consumption of each bulb by 50%.

Any double underline emphasis is NOT mine.

And I do not infer that Seville systems automatically apply to Deville models. But you can expect that some applications will carry over between models.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
For a '90 Deville DRL is an option RPO code T61.
It looks like my first suspect would be the Twilight Sentinel/Daytime Running Lights module.
It controls the high beam indicator and operation of the lamps.
Is this a digital cluster? (it sounds like it from your comments)

You'd have to disconnect the module and do some circuit testing to make sure the inputs to the module are good.
Something could have damaged the module, or it could have just died.

It's located behind the left side if the IPC, to the right of the steering column.
According to the manual it looks like it's mounted horizontally with a connector going straight up into the bottom of it on a bracket just right of the column.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for all the replys.... I hope to locate the moduale and test...
Might even have avail... a donar part....

thanks again...

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
GM did it several ways, connect high beams in series during DRL mode, PWM on the lights, resistors. All depended on what car line they designed it into. No one brand got all the same.

Sounds like one of the relays or transistors got in a stuck position or something.

·
Registered
1993 Sixty Special
10 Posts
very similar problem

1993 sixty special,
smelt burning from the dash, and the high beam indicator flickered.
highbeams would stay on all the time, and when i went to "turn on" highbeams, the lowbeams would come on. When i turned off the car the highbeams would stay on (at night) don't know about day, but to be safe I pulled the fuse.
also a canadian car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts