Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My DRL's do not appear to be coming on when they should. I don't think they have been deactivated because the headlights still come on automatically when it gets dark. I have checked the DRL fuse, and it is fine. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a 2002, and I haven't looked at the bulbs yet because I thought it would be weird for both bulbs to go out at the same time. What about the relay? How can you tell if the relay is bad?

·
Registered
None - 2007 Range Rover
1,452 Posts
Most likely it is the bulbs. I have seen it happen to many people where the bulbs will go out within a few hours or a few days of each other. I would definitly check the bulbs before you do anything else.

Thanks.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
They have updated the bulb design 3 times since they came out with the newer style DRLs. Make sure you have the latest, I can get part numbers if you need.

It's hard to tell when they are working properly because there are only two ways to tell, 1. have an assistant look at them when you are in daylight conditions with the car idling in gear. 2. Put the car in drive and run out in front of it to see if the lights are on and run yourself over :D
Actually there is a 3rd, get behind someone in traffic and look at the reflection of your lights in the trunk lid or tailgate (pickup trucks are the best)

It's not uncommon for both bulbs to burn out, if you are still under warranty they will fix it and should give you the updated bulbs.

·
Now: 2008 STS-V, 1960 Eldorado Brougham Then: 2002 Escalade
5,826 Posts
ewill is right, I was in for an oil change and they noticed that one of the DRL bulbs was out, so they replaced them both under warranty and told me that they were a newer design.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Here is a copy of the TSB related to this.
I have more time right now.

Info - Daytime Running Lamp (DRL) Bulb Replacement #00-08-42-010A - (Jun 20, 2003)
Daytime Running Lamp (DRL) Bulb Replacement
2002-2003 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade EXT

2003 Cadillac Escalade ESV

1999-2003 Chevrolet Silverado Pickup Models

2000-2003 Chevrolet Tahoe, Suburban

2002-2003 Chevrolet Avalanche

1999-2003 GMC Sierra Pickup Models

2000-2003 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL

2001-2003 GMC Denali, Denali XL

This bulletin is being revised to add model information and to announce availability of new DRL bulb part number. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 00-08-42-010 (Section 08 -- Body and Accessories).

A new 14 volt DRL bulb, P/N 15199562 (trade bulb #4114K), is now available for use whenever a DRL lamp bulb on the above listed vehicles requires replacement. This more robust, higher voltage DRL bulb replaces P/N 1999482 (trade bulb #4157K). These bulbs should be replaced in pairs for customer satisfaction.

Parts Information
Part Number
Description

Bulb, Daytime Running Lamp

·
Registered
486 Posts
I put Super White LED DRL's in, Same as the Turn Signal bulbs, they look great and stay cool, the original bulbs seemed to get really hot!

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Be careful about switching bulbs like that.
Aftermarket parts stores don't really care if you get a ticket for having the wrong color bulb in your car. I'd suspect that an LED light should be acceptable for DRLs if they are white but you might call your local police and make sure. You never know when cops are looking for excuses to pull you over.
There are many laws that mandate color and location of bulbs on your car, and some are real sticklers about enforcement.

·
Registered
486 Posts
So far I haven't had a problem. I had the amber colored bulbs in for the DRL's then I purchased the resistors for the Turn Signals and moved the Ambers down and put in the White DRL's. They are pratically the same color as the Headlights so I don't see that as a problem. Its not any different than people who throw the SilverStars in a Blazer or Tahoe. Though I'm not sure about the laws in other states but Michigan limits you on having "blue or red" on while driving. I know some states like Virgina and Pennsylvania have inspections every so often so it may be different there. Thanks for the heads up though I didn't think about the legal aspect.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I completed the DRL bulb swith out today. While I was there I also replaced the low beam bulbs with Sylvania Silver Stars. Everything appears to be working now, so I again appreciate the help from the members. I am not very handy at fixing things, but this was an easy fix. I picked up a very helpful hint from this forum to remove the grill before trying to pull out the headlight assembly. This was not in the manual, but it should be. All in all I spent less then $40.00 for all of the bulbs (the DRL's were less than $5.00 for the pair at the dealership, and the silver stars were on sale at an auto parts store for a $31.00 dual pack). The job also took about 45 minutes start to finish for someone with no technical skill (my wife kept coming out to see if I had either hurt myself or started some kind of electrical fire!). I am now going to pick up some Silver Stars for the high beams to replace when it gets a little warmer outside (Kansas is a little too cold this time of year to be outside if you don't have to be!). Thanks again for the help everyone.

·
Registered
none
1 Posts

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
did you check the bulbs and sockets as they do get a lot of heat from the bulb being on while the truck is in gear i think it is a bad design cause the bulb type along with the socket is not designed for this duty but i recommend a good set of led bulbs to cure the heat issue and make sure the sockets don't need replacing mine was close but i have switched to led bulb's and i have had no problems since. p.s. the 3156 or 3157 led bulb will work i got my set from superbrightleds.com and i have had them in for a year so far and they still work great.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts