Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1981 Cadillac coupe deville
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anyone who could possible decipher this data plate for me??? It’s a 1981 coupe deville! I’ve tried to do my own research on it but am totally stumped… any help is greatly appreciated!!
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
30 Posts
96L / 11T are color codes.
96: Jadestone Firesmist ( blueish, greenish i guess.
11: Cotillion white. I guess thats just a white top basically.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'll take a crack at this, but basing it on the data plate on my 77 which is slightly different.
Starting with the top lines: 81 of course is the vehicle year.
06A is the interior color code and the material it's made of.
In my case 023 means 02 white with blue and 3 is leather.
6 means it's a Cadillac CD47 is the body style. Two door deville.
9 is the manufacturing location. In your case Detroit.
0 (or D can't tell what it is) 43197 is the unit #. You may find that number in the VIN in that order.
The second line 114J is the time build code. Not sure what date would equate to 114J.
Marx3 was correct with the two color codes. T with a number is the top color code.
AM6 could be an option code.
The very bottom numbers and letters are a mystery to me.
My data plate actually mentions, in code of course, that I have a remote RH mirror, tires (who made them) and the electric trunk release.

You may want to stop by a Caddy dealer with a picture of the data plate. The service dept. may be able to answer some of the unknowns.
Also, I believe GM was still hiding build sheets (birth certificate) under the bottom back seat. Take a look there. That paperwork is 'gold' and provides a ton of info on the car.

Welcome to the Cadillac forums. It's a great place to be.
Andrew in NH.

·
Registered
1981 Cadillac coupe deville
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll take a crack at this, but basing it on the data plate on my 77 which is slightly different.
Starting with the top lines: 81 of course is the vehicle year.
06A is the interior color code and the material it's made of.
In my case 023 means 02 white with blue and 3 is leather.
6 means it's a Cadillac CD47 is the body style. Two door deville.
9 is the manufacturing location. In your case Detroit.
0 (or D can't tell what it is) 43197 is the unit #. You may find that number in the VIN in that order.
The second line 114J is the time build code. Not sure what date would equate to 114J.
Marx3 was correct with the two color codes. T with a number is the top color code.
AM6 could be an option code.
The very bottom numbers and letters are a mystery to me.
My data plate actually mentions, in code of course, that I have a remote RH mirror, tires (who made them) and the electric trunk release.

You may want to stop by a Caddy dealer with a picture of the data plate. The service dept. may be able to answer some of the unknowns.
Also, I believe GM was still hiding build sheets (birth certificate) under the bottom back seat. Take a look there. That paperwork is 'gold' and provides a ton of info on the car.

Welcome to the Cadillac forums. It's a great place to be.
Andrew in NH.
thanks so much for the info!!! Here’s a few pics of my car for you to check out!
Car Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Land vehicle
Vehicle Window Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting
Car Land vehicle Vehicle Wheel Car seat cover

1 - 7 of 7 Posts