Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
'99 SLS, '05 Deville, '87 Porsche 944
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
99 Seville SLS - problem: battery was dead attempted to charge it without disconnecting it from the car. As soon as it took the smallest amount of charge the anti-theft kicked in and began to blow the horn.

Stopped trying to charge in this manner. Put jumper cables on it and got it to start it is running just fine, radio works, heat and A/C works but there are not indications on the dash (ie speedo, tach, and heat and a/c indications).

I was looking at the fuses and can't find any that have blown. The problem I have at the moment is we are in the process of moving and don't have a lot of time to trouble shoot this, any help would be greatly appreciated. I am on my way back to the old house now - I intend to disconnect the battery for a period of time and then reconnect it and hope that it resets something.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
99 Seville STS, 08 STS4 N* 1SG F55
3,516 Posts
I've seen this problem posted in the Deville forum before but don't recall seeing it in Seville. Same thing - dash and HVAC don't display after a jump. One solution that was posted was to disconnect both battery connnections and touch them together. I can't recall anybody having success with it other than the OP but its one thing to try.

·
Registered
'99 SLS, '05 Deville, '87 Porsche 944
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Chubby.

I pulled the negative battery terminal and left it disconnected for about an hour. When I reconnected it everything worked just fine.

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")
6,405 Posts
I've seen this problem posted in the Deville forum before but don't recall seeing it in Seville. Same thing - dash and HVAC don't display after a jump. One solution that was posted was to disconnect both battery connnections and touch them together. I can't recall anybody having success with it other than the OP but its one thing to try.

chubbyranger,
That is the VFDs shut off function. The IPC is the one monitoring the battery voltage, if the voltage drops bellow … not sure if 11.3V … then all VFDs are commanded OFF (i.e. the DIC on the IPC, the Climate Control Display and the Radio Display). But that should not affect the rev counter, speed, fuel and other gauges. There is one VFD still on, the compass on the rear view mirror (since no data wire gets there).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts