Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a search but came up empty.

Anyone have a step by step or the assembly manual photo of the dash pad?

Need to remove mine to fix the stupid curled up spots by the top vent.

I can probably figure it out easy enough by looking at it, but I am feeling real lazy today. :)

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac Deville
91 Posts
1997-1999 deville

To remove the dash top: The screws that hold it on are in the air ducts the point at your face and the defroster vent.The air vents the point at your face slide out. they have clips on the side that you need to press in by using something like a credit card that is cut into a half inch strip. Slide the strip in between the vent and vent housing and take a pair of needle nose pliers and grab a hold of one of the vent fins and pull gently until you feel it move and it should slide right on out. Once that is done you need and extension to get the screws out. I beleive the size is 8mm socket. So you have 4 screws holding the front and I think two holding it down in the defroster vent.

·
Registered
Cadillac
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1997-1999 deville

To remove the dash top: The screws that hold it on are in the air ducts the point at your face and the defroster vent.The air vents the point at your face slide out.
Are we talking about the double vents in the middle of the dash or the single ones on either end (drv side & pass side)?

Are the tabs on the side or top and bottom of the housings?

I don't see any tabs on either.

I stuck feeler guages in the vent sides and couldn't see or feel a tab.

And I do have a normal Deville 1998, so your instructions should be for my car.

·
Registered
Cadillac
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, got it. What a dumbass design with the little clips. They give no room to get a strip of something in there between the housing and the vent. I never could have gotten anything as thick as a credit card in there. I had to use thin feeler guages.

There are 4 screws in the front of the dash (1 in each vent) and 3 in the top of the dash once you pull the defroster out and disconnect the night sensor stuff.

In looking at the dash pad out of the car, it is obvious the lifting problem is due to shrinkage of the vinyl, as it has to be stretched to seat it over the lip.

I will stretch the vinyl by warming with a heat gun, glue it with Gorilla glue, clamp it down and let it dry. Should be good to go after that.

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac Deville
91 Posts
OK, got it. What a dumbass design with the little clips. They give no room to get a strip of something in there between the housing and the vent. I never could have gotten anything as thick as a credit card in there. I had to use thin feeler guages.

There are 4 screws in the front of the dash (1 in each vent) and 3 in the top of the dash once you pull the defroster out and disconnect the night sensor stuff.

In looking at the dash pad out of the car, it is obvious the lifting problem is due to shrinkage of the vinyl, as it has to be stretched to seat it over the lip.

I will stretch the vinyl by warming with a heat gun, glue it with Gorilla glue, clamp it down and let it dry. Should be good to go after that.
Let me know how it turns out. I need to do that to mine. I use automotive glue to hold the top vent grille to the dash cover. It doesn't look bad but I have to get that straight.

·
Registered
Cadillac
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Let me know how it turns out. I need to do that to mine. I use automotive glue to hold the top vent grille to the dash cover. It doesn't look bad but I have to get that straight.
Yeah, previous owners dealer took som glue to the vent grille already. Looks like crap. I will have to get it off and do it the right way.

·
Registered
Cadillac
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Gorilla glue did the trick. Solid as a rock. Just be sure to be very careful applying it as it expands once it reacts with the water. I clamped a piece of wood moulding across the dash, stuck some shims in to make sure it was tight all the way across, and let it sit overnight. A little clean up this morning. Took the pad, stuck it back in the car and it looks great.

Hardest part was figuring out how to get the stupid vents out. I used .008 feeler guages.

·
Registered
Cadillac
76 Posts
Funny I saw this post... I'm working on the exact same thing today.

I have my Helm manual right in front of me for my 2001 Deville. I'll summarize it best as possible.

Step 1) Remove A-Pillar Trim. Grasp the trim firmly at the top and pull. The
clips should pop right out. Remove the wires for the tweeters.

Step 2) Remove the four dash vents. There are 4 sets of retaining clips. Use
a screwdiver to pop the retaining clips loose and pull the vent out. (Pull gently, these vents are fragile)

Step 3) Remove the Defroster vent. Again, use a screwdriver to help pry the
retaining clips out and pull the vent out. Unclip the twilight sentinal
sensor wire.

Step 4) Remove the small bolts through the 4 openings of the vents. Look for
the slot in the upper part of the vent opening.

Step 5) Remove the large upper bolts, located in the defroster opening.

Step 6) Pull the rear of the dash upward. Unclip the center speaker wire. Pull
the rear of the dash towards you, this will release the front retaining
clips.

I have been told that 3M Trim & Plastic Adhesive is the best for this purpose. I used spring clamps and a metal ruler to sandwich the the vinyl and dash pad together while the glue cured. Hopefully, I will get the dash put back together tomorrow afternoon.

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac deville base
38 Posts
on a 2000 the defroster grill just pops up? mine is really on there, is their any certain place to pry with screw driver?

·
Registered
94 Deville
71 Posts
It is easier to fix that problem while the dash is in the car. I just fixed mine this weekend. I took a rough cut jigsaw blade and used it to remove a little bit of the old foam by hand. (No power tools!) Then I sprayed some water into the opening and applied some gorrilla glue. Just watch the glue as it foams so it doesn't push the pad up. A small amount of weight will keep the edge down.
If you insist on removing the dash, it is fairly simple. Remove each of the A/C vents by sliding a a feeler gage or a razor blade into each side of the vent between the fins and the housing about half way down each side until you hear a small click. The vent should pull right out. You will find a scew at the top of each of the vents. There are 3 screws along the windshield side of the defroster vent as well. Pop off both of the A pillar covers and you are ready for removal. Lift the front and press down on the back slightly until the entire pad pops loose.

·
Registered
1998 Eldorado ETC
3 Posts
Remove Vents
I don't know if the vents on the Deville are the same as on my 98 Eldorado, but the instructions to remove them were the same as those above.

HOWEVER, I accidentally found a simpler way to remove the vents on my Eldorado. I went to the local PicknPull and tried using the those instructions to remove the vent and in frustration grabbed a pair of pliers, gripped the little control tab (used for up and down, side to side movement of the fins) and pulled straight out. Surprisingly the vent came right out without breaking anything. I pushed it in place again to make sure it worked ok, and it did. I pulled it out again with no problem. Very easy. So I found 3 more Eldorados in the lot and tried it on those. They were 1996, 1998, 1999 and 2000. All of them came out easily and without damage. Much Easier. Hope this helps somebody.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,990 Posts
A word to the wise. Some vents come out easy as imdavidhamilton describes, but others will fight you to the end. If they don't pull easily, do not force them, you'll just destroy 'em.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Good instructions. It took me about 2 hours to remove the padded dash. Used Gorilla glue to glue padding down then duck taped it down and put 10 pound weights on the area over night. Worked fine seems to be glued back down. On #4 I only had 3 #10 bolts. I had 4 #7 bolts at the vents. Definitely use a magnetic socket because the bolts will drop down inside. Could not have done it without your instructions. Took about 1 hours to put back together. Thanks.

·
Registered
96 Concours, 05 DHS
184 Posts
You can also use polyurethane construction adhesive. It comes in a tube that fits a caulking gun.

I glued, then clamped with wood trim strips for a day while the glue set. It's been about five years now and still holding.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts