Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I’m new to the group as I just purchased a 2017 XT5. Literally on the drive home from the dealership, I noticed that the dash lights dimmed suddenly. After about 5 minutes the dash lights brightened again. I assumed that my husband or I had hit a button as we were still learning all the features. I purchased the car on Friday and today (Thursday) marks the third time that this has reoccurred. I tried googling to see what I could find but wasn’t successful. Can anyone assist?
Thanks!

·
Registered
2017 XT5 Platinum, Dark Adriatic Blue Metalic, Maple Sugar
372 Posts
Is anything covering the sensor on the top of the dashboard in the middle close to the windshield? This sensor detects the outdoor brightness, day or night, and dims the dash lights at night time or if the sensor is covered with something. Just one possibility.

·
Registered
2020 XT5, AWD Platinum, Garnet Metallic, 20" Ultra-Bright
2,108 Posts
When your dash lights dimmed, your headlights probably came on at the same time. Was it raining at the time and you turned on the wipers. Your headlights will come on when the wipers are activated. There will be a green indicator that is in the shape of headlights that will be visible on your Driver Info Center.

Your headlights can automatically come on when driving into shadows such as overpasses or tunnels.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is anything covering the sensor on the top of the dashboard in the middle close to the windshield? This sensor detects the outdoor brightness, day or night, and dims the dash lights at night time or if the sensor is covered with something. Just one possibility.
I think the sensor was covered. I had no idea! We are driving on a long drive and I had placed my book on the dash and it must have covered the sensor. I was so puzzled so I am so glad I know this now! Thank you!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When your dash lights dimmed, your headlights probably came on at the same time. Was it raining at the time and you turned on the wipers. Your headlights will come on when the wipers are activated. There will be a green indicator that is in the shape of headlights that will be visible on your Driver Info Center.

Your headlights can automatically come on when driving into shadows such as overpasses or tunnels.
I did not know all of this so I am so glad that I joined this group! Thank you so much for all this helpful information. It will be good to know as I continue to learn my new vehicle!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.