Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The V that I just bought has a few dash pieces on it that the previous owner had put on it. The car only has 10K miles on it and is way to virgin for such crappy stuff to be done to it. I would like to remove some of it, any ideas on what works best? Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im not to worried about the vents cause I can send those out and have them dipped so they are shiny black (no texture and gloss look to them) but the A/C unit is a problem. Im worried that the color will come off with the crap dash kit. Can you believe its on the door also! What a dumb thing to do. At the very least its the aluminum and not plastic.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I had the same problem when I bought my car. I ended up replacing a few of the dash pieces because the plastic was so distorted from the glue of the dash kit. The AC unit actually cleaned up the best and was one of the easiest pieces to remove.

Goof-Off was a little too harch, I used Goo Gone. Take your time & use a heat gun on the low-mid setting only!!!!

·
Registered
12 CTS Coupe Premium/Touring, 16 Volt, 13 911s, 07 Legacy GT Wagon
1,802 Posts
Im not to worried about the vents cause I can send those out and have them dipped so they are shiny black (no texture and gloss look to them) but the A/C unit is a problem. Im worried that the color will come off with the crap dash kit. Can you believe its on the door also! What a dumb thing to do. At the very least its the aluminum and not plastic.
How do the AC vents get removed?
I have a similar problem to deal with.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The center one just pulls straight out. It is held in by plastics tabs w/metal clips. The other three have plastic release clips inside the vent. Take a flashlight and look inside the vents. If I remember, the clips are molding into sides the vents (two on each side?). Use a pick tool to release them. Good luck trying to remove the dash kit from the vents. The vents have rubber-like coating that does not clean up so well. I ended up buying the 3 small vents. The cost was not so bad. The center one is expensive, but luckily is was broke (with a little persuasion) and replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
The dealers are putting them on not the factory. I don't know who da hell told them that improves the appearance. There's been one at a local dealership for a couple of months now. It's always in the middle of the showroom and I know exactly why the hell they can't sell it.

The last time I was at the dealership I sat in it and was like something just don't look right. Then I notice those ugly things pictured above. I felt around them and to find out if they were just stuck on there.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
The center one just pulls straight out. It is held in by plastics tabs w/metal clips. The other three have plastic release clips inside the vent. Take a flashlight and look inside the vents. If I remember, the clips are molding into sides the vents (two on each side?). Use a pick tool to release them. Good luck trying to remove the dash kit from the vents. The vents have rubber-like coating that does not clean up so well. I ended up buying the 3 small vents. The cost was not so bad. The center one is expensive, but luckily is was broke (with a little persuasion) and replaced under warranty.
Wow, thanks vcaddy :thumbsup:

Fortunately, my center vent cluster was spared from the ugly treatment.
If I can get those other 3 vents out and replaced I will be :bouncy:

Wish me luck on the AC Controller.
I'm hoping it cleans up like you said.

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
Did you say trim removal?!?! :eek:

Haha, I spent time and money (and uber-rejection here) installing it!
So bring it on!!!!!! :stirpot:

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Did you say trim removal?!?! :eek:

Haha, I spent time and money (and uber-rejection here) installing it!
So bring it on!!!!!! :stirpot:

At least the steering wheel cover will be easy to remove for any future owner of your V. :tisk:

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I wonder if the backside of this stuff has the peel of and stick crap or if it is the 2 part epoxy glue? Im worried that its going to screw up my doors. Im going to try to get all the pieces of and keep them in good condition as I was told the kit from Caddy is like $500. I will give that crap away to somebody if they want it. Or better yet if anyone wants the vents, center console, climate control, overhead console, I will swap the whole unit out with you.

·
Registered
37,297 Posts

Oh wait, didnt we already do this a couple months ago?

It is not epoxy, It is 3m auto trim tape. It is what they use to secure mouldings to the outside of your car. It "cures" kind of like epoxy, in that after you apply it, it gets stronger. But you CAN remove it. Like Dan said, use a heat gun, on a low setting (approx 300 F) and hold it there for a while. Then get some fishing line, get it underneath, and just work it baby. slice through and then pull it off.

You will be left with a residue. first use the heat gun again, and a PLASTIC putty knife to get most of it. Get some goof-off and a terry cloth to get rid of the rest of it.

Oh, test the goof off first before using it en masse. I have used goof-off in the past on plastic dash panels without damaging them, but all dashes and plastics are different.

And then don't pick on my cheap-ass dash kit cause I just gave you the secret to getting rid of it :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts