Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have 1995 devile. recently my dash brightness conn't adjust anymore. it stays brightest position, i cann't use the headlamp switch to change the brightness. anyone can help?

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,572 Posts
Probably an bad dimmer control switch. Might try removing it and spraying down the innards with "Deoxit".

·
Registered
1990 350 Brougham (The cruiser), 1988 Mark VII LSC (The DD)
5,545 Posts
My had the same issue when I had it. The switch went bad. It will actually throw a trouble code for it when something goes wrong. It should be a code with IP at the front.

·
Registered
Cadillac
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thank you two to answer me back. today i disassemble the switch and clean it ,after install back, still don't work. but i found funny thing: if i full the switch to first stop and second stop, the brightness can be changed by turning the switch. only when i press the switch all way in ,then the brightness don't change anymore.
any idea? thanks

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
Does your twilight sentinel work? You can only change the brigntness with the headlights on. If the switch is in and the headlights are not on you cannot change the daytime brightness. Are you trying to change the brightness in the daytime or at night?

·
Registered
Cadillac
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thank you you two reply.

no, i don't mean headlight. i can't change the dash light brightness.

when i pull out the headlight switch to first stop and second stop, the dash light brightness can be changed by turning the switch. only when i push this button all way in(means turn off all outside light like parking lights, headlight),
then i can't change dash light brightness. it stay at brightest mode. and you know what, today i take off the whole unit from the car, but the dash light still there ,why the dash light still on without this control unit?

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,572 Posts
That is how it is supposed to operate. No brightness control in daytime with the lights off. Brightness is controlled only when the lights are on. You do not have a problem.

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
You do not have a problem.
LOL.

Why would you need to adjust your dash brightness in the DAYtime? It's automatically the brightest setting for a REASON... YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO SEE IT. :cookoo:

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
thank you you two reply.

no, i don't mean headlight. i can't change the dash light brightness.

when i pull out the headlight switch to first stop and second stop, the dash light brightness can be changed by turning the switch. only when i push this button all way in(means turn off all outside light like parking lights, headlight),
then i can't change dash light brightness. it stay at brightest mode. and you know what, today i take off the whole unit from the car, but the dash light still there ,why the dash light still on without this control unit?
That is what I was asking. You CANNOT change daytime brightness (headlights OFF). Your system is working fine.

·
Registered
Cadillac
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thank you all you guys for kindly reply.

but it can be changed before.
you know what, i disassembly the whole thing and find a capacitor was shorted(it looks like a resistor with color band).
hope i can find a place to buy it.

thank you you all again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts